Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
Humanoid/Monster Pose feedback

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Im Windspirit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:54 am

I sketched a random pose for a double jointed monster that I want to draw. It is slightly extreme, but I want to see what is wrong/odd before going into detail. At first I used no references (Blue lines) but then I searched the net for research and correctly a few limbs. (Green Line) There isn't a picture exactly like this pose I want, so I guess it's a good thing, but I feel something is off.

(The wings are purposely bending the way they are.)

I'd appreciate feedback. You can overlay the drawing in red lines for the mistakes if you'd like.

[X]  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:45 pm
The only thing I see is that the spine isn't curved out enough. In many beastly pictures, the spine bends out more.

And the wing...are you sure you want it like that? Its not bad by any means. Maybe just tweak them to match each other. For example; the wing that isnt bent, strech it out more and make it a little thiner. (Don't have it folded over either.) Also curve it some. It gives it more movement to match the other.

Besides, that, its very good for a sketch and first time touch up.  

onipanda379

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Im Windspirit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:43 pm

I want to keep it at that pose but I also know that I needed to modify it. So if I have to, I must. Monsters are very odd.

Thank you very much for the feed back! I'll upload one final touch up before getting into detail. I just want to make this picture shine. C:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:33 pm
[X]

Does this look better/less awkward?

Followed your tips, but also changed the position of the right arms, left foot and the wings.

I think after this I will be good since the monster's clothing obscures most of the anatomy/limbs. Good to get it down though.  

Im Windspirit

onipanda379

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:40 pm
It looks absolutely fantastic!

if you want it more beastly, all you have to do now is add large, twisted horns on his noggin'.

I can't wait to see the finished result.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Aha, thanks. Unfortunately it is fanart for a monster character that barely has any attention at all. He is clothed around his head....

but I am taking my very most time with this drawing. I want to make it special, and thanks to you it can be. (:

Im Windspirit

Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff