Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Chocolate milk? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:46 am
I've read that it's one of the major drinks to blame for childhood obesity. I've also read it's just as effective as a protein shake for after workouts. Everything in moderation right? I've been making my own chocolate milk with organic cane sugar and organic unsweetened cocoa powder. Sooo tasty, and as an after workout drink, it works as a nice reward/motivator. When I had a gym trial I remember going just for their fresh smoothies cause they had a smoothie/snack bar in the middle of the gym. Gaahh, if only I could afford a real membership.

My nutrition teacher said chocolate milk is a great drink to have immediately after a workout. It has your minerals and protein and is just as good if not better than a protein shake. Everything in moderation right?

What do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:16 am
I never researched any info, but I would maybe use only milk - without chocolate. Chocolate in any form simply doesnt go with diet for me. I have no control. Id drink my week portion in one day biggrin Just thinking about it makes me want it so much!  

Lainauriel

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:38 am
Lainauriel
I never researched any info, but I would maybe use only milk - without chocolate. Chocolate in any form simply doesnt go with diet for me. I have no control. Id drink my week portion in one day biggrin Just thinking about it makes me want it so much!

I know what you mean. I have no control when it comes to french fries, or anything related to potatoes. Chips, home fries etc. I find it helps to only make or order a small amount and never leave it to myself to stop. Like I ask for half fried half salad instead of one or the other. Or bake just a small amount, out the rest back in the freezer. Same for the milk. I just make a glass at a time. Instead of buying those artificially sweetened unfresh crap in the store and wanting to drink the whole jug. Thankfully I have lots of control when it comes to chocolate. Probably cause I like dark and it's so rich one is usually enough. I think the chocolate does have health benefits beyond the milk. For one the dark has antioxydants.

It also has caffein, which is a metabolism booster and hunger suppressant.

Phenylethylamine: a slight antidepressant

Serotonine
Cocoa and chocolate can increase the level of serotonine in the brain. (This is a feel good hormone)

Essential minerals
Cocoa beans are rich in a number of essential minerals, including magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese.

Vitamins
A, B1, B2, B3, C, E and pantothenic acid.

I don't mean to be a chocolate advocate, but I do think in moderation (if you're able to moderate) it is really good stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:13 am
from what i have heard... sugar is good after a workout. and so is protein. so chocolate milk sounds like a good thing to have after a workout.  

RoseAintMean

5,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:38 pm
Personally, I would use Splenda in my chocolate milk, but that's because I try to limit my refined sugar as much as possible. Even cane sugar is a refined product and a high glycemic food.

Milk is definitely an awesome protein source. Even better would be a yogurt smoothie which you can make higher protein by using Greek yogurt. Mix it with some naturally sweet fruits (mango and strawberry, anyone?) and you've got natural sweetness and even more vitamins.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:02 am
Munkers
Personally, I would use Splenda in my chocolate milk, but that's because I try to limit my refined sugar as much as possible. Even cane sugar is a refined product and a high glycemic food.

Milk is definitely an awesome protein source. Even better would be a yogurt smoothie which you can make higher protein by using Greek yogurt. Mix it with some naturally sweet fruits (mango and strawberry, anyone?) and you've got natural sweetness and even more vitamins.

I thought about throwing a banana in and making it a smoothie. A lil plain yogurt could go too. I'm not terribly worried about the sugar. I never drink soft drinks. I rarely have chocolate and when I do it's always dark/semi-sweet. And I only have one glass of chocolate milk once a day on the days I workout.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

freelance lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 pm
My roommate told me recently that a small glass of chocolate milk is good to drink after a work out. I think if you made a healthy one, it could be. You feel like it's a "reward" but milk is good for you.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I don't mean to be a chocolate advocate, but I do think in moderation (if you're able to moderate) it is really good stuff.

I completely agree with you. I always heard that dark chocolate with 70% or more cocoa is super healthy for you. I love dark chocolate so much.  

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

pinkcatminht

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:53 am
the mix of simple sugars(for energy) and protein(for muscle repair) makes chocolate milk a really good after-workout drink. just have one of those single serving boxes of it, or make it yourself smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:02 pm
Chocolate milk ruins me, never lasts long if I have it.
I have, however, found that bottled nes-quick choco milk has a lot of good things in it like potassium, something I'm always in need of. MMmm vitamins.
Never tried it after a work out, though. When I was going to join the army, whenever we had practice training they gave us gator-aid. Which I think is nasty tasting.  

Yur-Yur Yuri

Beloved Phantom

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150

Testicular Diabeetus
Vice Captain

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 pm
I'm lactose intolerant.
So milk is a huge no for me.

But I love almond milk, the dark chocolate kind is amazing and low in calories.
I also drink it after workouts or when I wake up. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:19 pm
XD
I was drinking my Dark Chocolate Almond Milk in a tall glass with a crazy straw and it was the best glass of milk that I have ever had.
XD  

Testicular Diabeetus
Vice Captain

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm
I've never tried chocolate milk after a work out, I've definitely got to try that. I used to love chocolate milk when I was young but in the last few years, I haven't had any milk what so ever. Does it matter if it's non fat milk, 1%, or 2%?  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:21 am
I prefer chocolate or vanilla soy milk to recharge, but I can see how regular chocolate milk would be good after a workout. It's just not a good thing to drink all the time.  

Majnooni

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:19 pm
A Touch of Evil
I've never tried chocolate milk after a work out, I've definitely got to try that. I used to love chocolate milk when I was young but in the last few years, I haven't had any milk what so ever. Does it matter if it's non fat milk, 1%, or 2%?

um, I don't think so. I'd have to compare the protein content on them but I don't think it affects it.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games