Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
Star Trek Economics

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:41 pm
I don't have a first post, but I would enjoy discussing the implications of the Post-Scarcity economy in the Star Trek Universe.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:41 am
Well, I figured there would be lots of money to go around since the future has new inventions and things.
I'd still imagine that the highest paid people are in the medical field.
Artists... Well, not sure. :/  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Lumanny the Space Jew

Blessed Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:47 pm
Picard has said many, many times that there is no money in the future. Yet a capitalist sort of society is referenced countless times throuout Star Trek series.
It is one of the biggest repetivie contradicitions in the Star Trek Universe.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:12 pm
Lumanny the Space Jew
Picard has said many, many times that there is no money in the future. Yet a capitalist sort of society is referenced countless times throuout Star Trek series.

The Federation uses Credits, which are both a bartering tool between other Governments, or used for products that are not easily replicated or produced. They have very little to no value, as most things can be made.

Imagine a Capitalist society. Now, imagine, the supply is so great everyone can have almost everything. It's a Post Scarcity economy. People have moved away from money because they don't need it. Which is why most societies in Star Trek don't accept Credits, they don't amount to much, and can only be used in exchanged for things the Federation can provide.

Let's say I want to buy a book. Buy? No, I can just download it to a PADD. A real book? I'm sure I can get an actual copy in print. A first edition of a book written in the late 1800s? I'm going to need credits.  

Matt Pniewski

platsdevil

Shy Giver

9,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:05 pm
Matt Pniewski
Lumanny the Space Jew

The Federation uses Credits, which are both a bartering tool between other Governments, or used for products that are not easily replicated or produced. They have very little to no value, as most things can be made.

Imagine a Capitalist society. Now, imagine, the supply is so great everyone can have almost everything. It's a Post Scarcity economy. People have moved away from money because they don't need it. Which is why most societies in Star Trek don't accept Credits, they don't amount to much, and can only be used in exchanged for things the Federation can provide.

Let's say I want to buy a book. Buy? No, I can just download it to a PADD. A real book? I'm sure I can get an actual copy in print. A first edition of a book written in the late 1800s? I'm going to need credits.

At the same time however, try going up to Quark or any Ferengi and saying you want to use credits to get that book. He'd probably just laugh you out the door. It's latinum or nothing, and if you really need something in a pinch, then Quark is the person to go to. So they really do need money. Don't they?

The Federation is a government of "United" planets, but they still have the planets that would never give up the thought of material gold or latinum. So they still need that money to barter or trade.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games