Reply ----::::The FISH Tank::::----
Fancy Goldfish

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:22 am
I've had two young fancy goldfish [Fantail and Black/Panda[?] Moore] in a 23 Gallon Rubbermaid Tub for over a month. They are usually at 68-70 deg. and were pretty happy. I now have a 55 Gallon Aquarium and it's water temperature is at 76-77 deg. Yesterday I took some time to introduce my fancies to the new Aquarium [at the time the tank temp was 74 deg]. I am starting to worry about my fish because I know they like their water temp below 75.

They seem to be happy in their new tank, despite the temperature [but I'm not an expert so I can't be sure x_x]. If I cannot get the water temp to lower, will they be alright living in 77 deg. water? If not, is there some way I can cool the water down myself? I have a heater with the Aquarium but a lot of good that's doing me, as I obviously have no problem with the water being too cold. -_-;; Is there something I can buy to keep the water cool, or am I going to have to settle with putting frozen water bottles in the tank. o.0? IS THAT EVEN A SAFE THING TO DO? gonk

I really need advice ;_;

Oh.. And does anyone know if a Betta can live with Goldfish happily? I know they don't like to be nipped at, but my goldfish never n** at each other nor the live plants I keep with them.

Also, I know Neons can live with Betta, but can Neons live with Goldfish as well? I've done research on Betta and Goldfish, but not much about Neons. I would like to find out information about this situation before I buy a Betta or Neons. x_x

Edit: I know Goldfish might be able to eat the Neons when the Goldfish are older, but as of now they are only a few months old and are lucky to eat whole flaked foods lol. That's all I wanted to add. @w@

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:18 pm
For the most part neons are tropical fish, and goldfish are carp....they shouldnt be housed together only because goldfish are happy with lower temps, and neons are happy with higher temps, one or the other would suffer because of it.

and I would like to add that neons arent the healthiest fish in the world....I bought 5 of them recently and im down to 2...the others got what people call neon tetra desease, for some reason they get really fat and rip open or something like that....or they just get really sickly looking and die that way, I would recomend getting healthier fish that are fine with colder water..

get Swordtails....they are good with cooler water, so are bettas, but if I were you I would just stick to what you got at the moment.  

SquishyAngeh
Crew

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:23 pm
Goldfish are fine at normal tropical fish temperatures (78 ), it just raises their metabolism. Basically it just means if feed them a little less and it will probably even out. Still, goldfish are messy by nature.

As for the betta, I put one with my goldfish for a while (I don't know why.) The betta was freaking out and posturing, but the goldfish stayed blissfully unaware of it's hostility. Then I left, and came back a few hours later and noticed the goldfish was staying way the hell away from the betta. Guess that betta took a few nips at him. No damage to either, but neither was very happy. Maybe the tank wasn't big enough, but it was a 20 gallon and one of each fish... Still the amonia from the goldfish can't be good for the betta long term.

Same goes for the neons. It's not that goldfish can't live peacefully with pretty much any community fish*, but the amonia levels the goldfish produce isn't good for them. I may have kept a goldfish with my tropicals in the past (like when I was waiting for my 125 to be habitable and finding an awesome goldfish at the store) for brief periods of time, with no problems. However, I'm afraid if the tank is mostly goldfish vs mostly tropicals it might not be healthy for the tropicals.

*I have removed a catfish from a goldfish's mouth though. Catfish fin spines + mouth= no no bad. Same goes for dwarf puffers. >< And they can and will eat all ghost shrimp in the tank, those wouldn't be safe. Ah, the things you learn when a dumbass at work puts the large goldfish in any tank. gonk

Best thing to do with goldfish is to only keep them with other goldfish, it's not healthy for the other fish. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:09 pm
Um....what they said. whee  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 pm
Okay thanks for the advice everyone XD My Goldfish have been staying pretty happy with the water temp at 75 [the temp settled after a few days. Maybe it was the gravel that heated the water after I washed it with water a little above luke warm @.@].

I wound up buying a few Neons, a Pleco, two Guppies and a Betta [AND ONE UNKNOWN TETRA. THE SIGN SAID NEONS. SO I WAS LIKE--UH. SHE DON'T LOOK LIKE A NEON. OKAY. MAYBE THIS IS JUST A FEMALE NEON. YEAH. LET'S GET HER]. My Pleco is doing just fine, my Betta isn't aggressive to anyone [except the Pleco at first, but that was just for about 30 mins. And the Betta was just kinda staring him down. Nothing physical XD] and my Neons.. well. A week after I bought them I found one with his gill ripped open. o.0;;; I don't know what did that. By watching my fish I decided to discontinue keeping my Neons in my 55 Gallon tank and move them to my 23 Gal Tub. At the moment my Female Guppy is in the Tub because she is pregnant and I have no idea what to expect so I'll have to wait. I want to keep the fry in the Tub because I can't stand the thought of them becoming fish food. After they grow some maybe I can move my Neons in with them. But I really don't know. >_<; But yeah, I read up more on Neons the other day and realized that the environment they are in at the moment isn't really ideal for them [basically too bright and not enough follow Neons XD].

Why did I let my mother pressure me into getting Guppies. I can't handle this kind of drama. ...THE BABIES! :GONK:

Oh well, as long as my Goldfish are happy, that is all that matters. I could care less about the rest =.=;; /horrible person [I'm lying, I have a soft spot for my Pleco and Betta. They're gay lovers. ;_; <3]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:28 pm
I have large, medium and small goldfish getting along just swimmingly with bettas. I had some neons in with them too without any troubles but had to move them out when they were breeding.

I wouldn't worry too much about the water temp. Through the year my tanks vary 17-26c (63-79f) it's natural for the temp to flux with the seasons. When ever I get worried about the heat in summer I usually add Icecubes to the filter or let some jumbo freezies float along the top of the tank (still in the plastic of course). That way it spreads the coolness more evenly through the tank and doesn't cause any drastic temperature change shock.  

_ShiroTsuru_

----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff