Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
Stay Hacker free! -Tips to keep your account safe!- Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GOOOOLD!
  YEAH FOR LEARNING!
View Results

roseankitty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:00 pm
Hello one and all!

I see many times in different places -in this guild and out- about how people have become hacked! Ah the horror~ And I can say that from experience!

Lets use my account as an example! It is a high hacker attraction due to the account worth, well over 11 million in items*. Now, due to high value items being equiped to your avatar, it becomes a hacker target.

Also, if you are suspected of having a large amount of gold, like from a quest thread, a chairity event, or prize money for a contest you are hosting, you also become a target!

How to keep your account safe!

First, lets talk password!

Your password is suggested by me -to be the safest- to contain at least 6 characters -this is letters and numbers!- but to try and have a combo of both letters and numbers.

Things not to use:

Birthday
the word: Password in any shape or form.
Simple sayings or numbers: ABC123

And the list could go on.

Things to use:

Two words
A word and a number combo
Two words and a number combo! -Recomended!-

Alright, now that we have talked about your password... lets talk about what not to do with it.

Its a very simple thing: Do not share it with no one!

Unless you are done and through with the account, do not under any reason give your password out! No one from gaia's heads will ask you for your information. Think about it... this is their site. They can do what ever they want, including find out what you password is. They don't need you to tell them, so don't.

Password Phishing.

Fishing, or sometimes refered to as Phishing, for passwords is basically mule accounts of hackers sending off Private messages to 'targets' to try and get the username, password and email used to create the account. No matter what these pm's may say, do not under any reason reply to them.

These pm's may contain:

Threats
Promises
Or statements of you being under an investigation.

None of this is true! Unless you see the ussername of the avatar in green, they do not work for gaia! And even if they did, they wouldn't be asking for the username, password and email used to create the account. As again, they can find out this information easily if need be!

So, what do you do if you get one of these?

Use the report button!

Report it for Phishing, and then go back and delete the pm!

That is the safest way to maintain your account, and protect yourself from password phishers!

Another kind of hack:

Checking to make sure you are not a robot!

This is a dialog box that will pop up in another window from the one you are currently in.

It will state that your actions are odd, and that you need to re-enter your information to make sure you are not a robot!

So here is what you do... Click the close button!

Unfortunately, these are harder to find, but are also Gaian users trying to get your information.

But remember... Gaia Admins will NEVER ask for any of your information!

Email hacks:

Do not let anyone know what email you have used to create the account! As gaia sends you an email if you click the 'I have forgotten my password' button when you log in. If the hackers know your email, and can access it, they can then hack your account with out knowing your gaian password. So make sure to keep this information safe as well!

One last type of hack that you can prevent...

Gaia cheat sites.

Though they promise you millions in gold, they allow your account to become hacked in the end. So do not try to take this short cut to the riches of the world! In doing so, you will fall to your doom in the end.

I have also heard of one last type of hack, unfortunately this one is not preventable, nor is it easy to handle. Its a pure hack. Where someone is so desperate that they hack your account with out you even knowing. Unfortunately all you can do is make another account -or log onto a mule- and report that your account has been hacked.

Under all cases of a hack, or an attempt of a hack, you should report it. If you do not report a hack, Gaia admins can now try to help you regain your account or what was on it. When reporting anything, try to be as detailed as you can, and do not lie when they ask what was on your account.

I keep a list of all major items that I wouldn't be able to stand to be with out if I ever got hacked, and update it every so often and save it to my computer, this way if I ever do fall for a pure hack, I will know exactly what was on my account.

Though you may think that reporting a hack will get your account back asap, it will take time. When I was hacked, I had the robot check box pop up. I was on a school's computer and typed in that information. Unfortunately for me, the day before that I had changed my password at school to the one I used on my Gaian account. A week after I typed in my information to the 'robot' box, I lost my account.

Reported it, and about a month or two later, was able to get it back!

So I do hope this has helped at least someone... Feel free to post any and all questions or comments here, on my profile, or send me a pm with them!

-I am not a Gaian admin, and all of the above information has been obtained over my 4 years here on Gaia. If any of it is wrong, please let me know. If you have something to add (like maybe a screen shot you have taken) please pm me the details.-

*Account worth was based off of a Tektek estimate about a month ago. Actual worth of this account is what I am wearing. All my other items are stored among 4 unknown mule accounts owned by me.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:11 pm
Q's and A's

It looks like gaia, so it must be gaia!

No, a lot of people can make look alikes. Make sure you check the web address and it must say: www.gaiaonline.com/ for it to be real. Looking like gaia or no, do not enter your information anywhere else!

Do all Hacker atempts look the same?

Not at all! Different hackers have different styles, and different browsers will make any pop up window's look different. They are all based the same though, so make sure you keep your information safe!

I just got a pop up window asking if I was a robot or not... There is an odd post in this thread, is that person trying to hack me?

There are some instances where 'out of place posts' or 'odd posts' are the direct root to the pop up 'robot' windows or any of the like. Report the post, and if you are not sure you could always leave in the 'notes' section that you had a pop up, and that this post seemed most out of place, and the most likely to be the reason for the pop up hack attempt. Just remember to guard your information and just click the exit button on all pop ups trying to get your information!

roseankitty

roseankitty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:11 pm
-Might as well save one more... as I believe I will turn that top one into a Q and A section...-  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 pm
-And how about saving this one... just because-

Feel Free To Post

roseankitty

Quvi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Note to self : Roseankitty is worth 11 million.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 pm
Quvi
Note to self : Roseankitty is worth 11 million.

lol I haven't checked it in a while... with tektek being all wacked and stuff...

So it might be less it might be more... XD

-adds on a * and then a note for it... XD-  

roseankitty

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:07 pm
Glammed up fabulous...

Haha... I kinda feel safe cause my password is like 28 characters long. whee ((I was being smart and decided for a long pass xD)) So there.... TRY AND FIGURE IT OUT NOW HACKERS!!! O:<

...Lookin' hot, dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:12 pm
--Undead Horror Doll--
Glammed up fabulous...

Haha... I kinda feel safe cause my password is like 28 characters long. whee ((I was being smart and decided for a long pass xD)) So there.... TRY AND FIGURE IT OUT NOW HACKERS!!! O:<

lol, It is said that short and sweet is easy to beat!  

roseankitty

Quvi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:44 pm
--Undead Horror Doll--
Glammed up fabulous...

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz01? =P  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:55 am
Cool. Thank you for posting this. ^^  

Melancholy Messenger

Amateur Mage

roseankitty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 am
Hello Please
Cool. Thank you for posting this. ^^

Not a problem!

And your welcome~  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:40 pm
Even though this isn't related to art, I think this will be helpful :3
I'm going to put this as a sticky and thanks for putting that up! People's accounts seemed to get hacked nowadays. D:  

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,000 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100

roseankitty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:07 pm
Watergirl244
Even though this isn't related to art, I think this will be helpful :3
I'm going to put this as a sticky and thanks for putting that up! People's accounts seemed to get hacked nowadays. D:

YEAH!

A sticky!

WOOH!

And yeah.. I know its not related to art.... >.< But I thought this subforum was the best place to put it... ehehe...

And your welcome! Just throught I would share my knowledge with others! XD  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:41 pm
I can't believe I've never seen this thread before! Props to you for making it! heart

Remember guys, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Always check the link in messages before clicking it. You can do this by hovering your mouse over it. (This is the most common way that hackers steal user accounts along with their hard-earned gold and items)

If the website looks like Gaia but doesn't start with www.gaiaonline.com/ then it is a fake phishing site designed to steal your account information!

If someone messages you threatening to ban you, offer you a special promo offer from Gaiaonline, or other such nonsense if you don't supply your password, REPORT THEM IMMEDIATELY! Don't even bother to respond, just click the "Report this PM" button and in the reason field, put "Hacking attempt". If you do this, what that person is doing will remain just that -- AN ATTEMPT. Don't fall for their petty tricks.  

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200

Lichi Kisses

5,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 am
Well if you think about it, artists are probably targets to. Consider for a minute that we usually have a steady flow of money coming in. I myself if I could ever keep my hands on it usually make around 1 mil to 2 mil a month, depending on
on activity. So this actually is a very good idea to mention this to artists.  
Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff