Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I need your ideas please Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which religion do you think I should go for?
  Ancient Druidism
  Roman Paganism
  Greek Paganism
  Other (please tell me!)
View Results

Lady Nadji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:24 am
First, let me say that I'm not going to rely on you guys completely, I will do some research of my own, but I need your opinion on what religion I should adopt. I'm looking for a Pagan religion that fits my current beliefs: I believe in reincarnation, the power of the human mind and emotions, souls, an afterlife, the importance of earth as our mother, a spiritual connection between humans and nature, and 'totem animals' or 'familiar' type animals. I'm already aware of Wicca, and I'm not too interested in it, but if anyone knows about some sort of Anglo-Saxon or druidic religion, I'm very interested. Thanks for listening!

Edit: The poll option Ancient Druidism should actually be Neo-Druidism. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:00 pm
Well, my best suggestion is that you try being an ecclectic Pagan. That way, you can adopt the parts of the Pagan Religions that suit you best, without having to conform to a specific Religion. That's what I am. Also, that way, you can research a lot of different Religions.
Remember, Paganism is also about being yourself.

Winter Black

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:32 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:27 pm
My advice (if indeed I can be judged qualified to give it, having not chosen a specific path at all) Would be to look into the religions that you find yourself drawn to more until you eventually decide for yourself.
This isn't really the kind of decision you can ask random people on the internet to make for you.  

bobz

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:49 pm
um, there is no ancient druidism. there's modern conjecture on what they might have done, but no tradition offers a 'this is definitely what the druids did'.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:56 pm
phoenix_shadowwolf
um, there is no ancient druidism. there's modern conjecture on what they might have done, but no tradition offers a 'this is definitely what the druids did'.
ooops sorry. redface sweatdrop I'm not really an expert or anything yet, but thanks for pointing that out. And thanks to everyone else for responding! (Thanks to PhantomPheonix0 for the link too!)  

Lady Nadji

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:10 pm
the bit you said about totem animals and earth as a mother really struck me as Native American; however, i admit that i may be operating based on stereotypes of Native American beliefs. from what i understand, it's also considered disrespectful to just plunk yourself down in the middle of their spirituality if you have no direct lineage to whatever tribe you happen to be emulating.

still a thought, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:45 pm
Honestly, I can't think of any pagan religion that believes in all of those things you described collectively. And honestly, why do you have to adhere to some predetermined religion? It seems like you have a strong hold on what you believe, so maybe you should just try looking into some different types of religions and the beliefs of religions that corespond to your own beliefs.  

Kal Eldritch

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:13 pm
MST3Kakalina
the bit you said about totem animals and earth as a mother really struck me as Native American; however, i admit that i may be operating based on stereotypes of Native American beliefs. from what i understand, it's also considered disrespectful to just plunk yourself down in the middle of their spirituality if you have no direct lineage to whatever tribe you happen to be emulating.

still a thought, though.
Actually sounded more like Slavic Recon to me. Major Polish leanings.

You have Vyri (the afterlife), you've got your Family Spirit and Personal Spirit (animals of which both the house and the individual are tied to), there is Mokosh- aka, Moist Mother Earth...

But that's just me.

To be blunt, I think instead of listening to what we think you "should be" you should be asking the gods.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:25 pm
Lady Nadji
Thanks to PhantomPheonix0 for the link too!

No problem. Keep in mind, I didnt scan the site and compare it to what you look for, that is your job. You just requested info on an Anglo-Saxon religion.  

PhantomPhoenix0

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:31 pm
TeaDidikai

To be blunt, I think instead of listening to what we think you "should be" you should be asking the gods.

But she didn't say anywhere in her first post she believed in the gods... sweatdrop

It's probabyl the best idea right now to just start studying everything you can get your hands on and find out that way what you're most drawn too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:48 pm
EladrinStarmist
TeaDidikai

But she didn't say anywhere in her first post she believed in the gods... sweatdrop
~Pokes~ Hesh you. wink

Actually, she mentioned the Earth as Mother.  

TeaDidikai

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:24 pm
TeaDidikai
Actually sounded more like Slavic Recon to me. Major Polish leanings.

You have Vyri (the afterlife), you've got your Family Spirit and Personal Spirit (animals of which both the house and the individual are tied to), there is Mokosh- aka, Moist Mother Earth...

stressed don't i feel like a ponce. and all of those russian mythology/folklore textbooks staring right at me! i guess we know what i should be doing instead of wasting time in front of the computer screen... ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:50 pm
I voted "other" because I think you should choose whichever faith appeals to you the most, once you've gathered the information you need.  

cambrylyd

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:51 pm
MST3Kakalina

stressed don't i feel like a ponce. and all of those russian mythology/folklore textbooks staring right at me! i guess we know what i should be doing instead of wasting time in front of the computer screen... ninja
Heh... it happens to the best of us. wink  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces