Submit

SammiejoPeepEnstine

Gracious Entrepreneur

4,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:46 pm
Now I would like for you all to hear me out before you start yelling and screaming "how dare you ask that kind of question" or anything of that nature. I, myself am trying to understand what some Christian views on marijuana are.

I say:
Though it is currently illegal that it should have no part in todays society but if and when it becomes legal I may breakdown and try it.
With that said, there are many uses for weed, oil, hemp, medical uses and what not but where and what does the bible say about it???
I have looked and the only thing that my Pastor told me was that the Bible said "any mind altering substance God looks down upon."

So now if God looks down upon it, then why would he create such a plant that could have that drastic of a side effect? why continue to call it something evil if GOD HIMSELF CREATED IT??? we humans didn't create this plant, we have just altered it slightly!! just a few questions.

sorry if its inappropriate!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:06 pm
As a sensible person, I see no need to keep it illegal. It's not nearly as harmful as legal substances such as Alcohol, and legalization would cut down the crime related to the trafficking of it. It'll create jobs here in America, something that we desperately need.

As a Christian, I honestly don't have any scripture that comes to mind, but I hardly have a bible memorized. However, it's not important. I won't do it because I don't like it. I tried it three times, and didn't even get high. Why waste time and money? I also will not make any political choices based on my religion. It's unethical.

As somebody who has to deal with stoners way too frequently, I know that legalizing pot would make them happy, and I don't want them to be happy.

So, that's two out of three in favor of legalization.

I have personally seen what Drugs can do to people. I've had family members in and out of rehab (and those soul sucking Twelve Step Cults). I've had my own mother rob me, steal from me, for drug money.

I've also seen casual smokers of Marijuana who have never done any wrong, other than breaking the Marijuana laws.

Both parties will always exist. Why should we penalize the people who are doing no harm at all?  

Matt Pniewski

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:08 am
I'm actually pro-marijuana legalization. I'm actually pro-legalization of most drugs, except extremely dangerous ones like heroin and cocaine.

I've never smoked, mainly because of the fact that it IS illegal. If it were legalized, I have no doubt that I would try it. The Bible says very little about mind altering substances. It says "don't get sloppy drunk," but it doesn't prohibit drinking outright. I think we can apply to same to pot. Don't get so stoned you can't function, but when enjoyed responsibly, it's perfectly safe. Tobacco and alcohol are more dangerous that marijuana itself, so I fail to understand why it's still illegal in the first place.

The Bible tells us to follow the laws of where we live, but other than that I don't think there's anything prohibit responsible drug use. Weed also isn't chemically altered at all, so I guess you could argue God created it. Ben Franklin said "Beer is proof that God exists and loves us very much." I wonder if we could say the same about weed xD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:56 am
freelance lover

The Bible tells us to follow the laws of where we live, but other than that I don't think there's anything prohibit responsible drug use. Weed also isn't chemically altered at all, so I guess you could argue God created it. Ben Franklin said "Beer is proof that God exists and loves us very much." I wonder if we could say the same about weed xD

This is the problem.

1) Bible says obey laws.
2) Marijuana is a herb and grows naturally, why would it be off limits religiously?

Interesting question...  

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:48 pm
Call Me Apple
freelance lover

This is the problem.

1) Bible says obey laws.
2) Marijuana is a herb and grows naturally, why would it be off limits religiously?

Interesting question...

The whole "law" thing is the reason why I haven't tried pot, since I want to work with kids and all. But I think it's also worth mentioning that a lot of primal faiths use drugs, usually hallucinogen, to obtain spiritual enlightenment. Whatsmore, these trips are usually eerily similar to near death experiences people have reported. However, these drugs are obviously never used for recreational purposes and are naturally occurring, like peyote, just like marijuana.

I think, essentially, the message is be responsible with use. Also, saying drugs have no place in religious life would be to undermine a tradition that predates Christianity and pretty much every other world religion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:41 am
freelance lover
I'm actually pro-marijuana legalization. I'm actually pro-legalization of most drugs, except extremely dangerous ones like heroin and cocaine.

I've never smoked, mainly because of the fact that it IS illegal. If it were legalized, I have no doubt that I would try it. The Bible says very little about mind altering substances. It says "don't get sloppy drunk," but it doesn't prohibit drinking outright. I think we can apply to same to pot. Don't get so stoned you can't function, but when enjoyed responsibly, it's perfectly safe. Tobacco and alcohol are more dangerous that marijuana itself, so I fail to understand why it's still illegal in the first place.

I'm actualy pro the legalization of all forms of drugs (Maybe keep Crystal Meth illegal.) Drugs can be quite enjoyable when enjoyed responsibly.

I have not found any specific condemnation of pot in the bible. But, i think that's because it dosen't grow native in the middle east so the guys who wrote the book had never heard of it. Personaly, i quit smoking pot when i got bored.

To quote the poster on an old highschoool friend's bedroom wall. "Man made beer, God made weed. Who do you trust?"  

Lazarus The Resurected

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 am
I'm going to have to go with what everyone else is saying on the subject, because I agree with them. There is nothing specifically in the Bible that says "don't use drugs." It says "obey the laws of where you live" and "don't drink to excess." I think it's safe to assume we can extend "drink" to pretty much any other consumption-related verb (and on that note, you really shouldn't be consuming anything to excess anyway). If it were to be legalized, I would see no moral wrong in using it, if you use it responsibly. If you can continue to live your life as you normally would, you aren't hurting anyone and you aren't hurting yourself, and it's something you enjoy, why not? The only caution I offer is that because it is a mind-altering substance, there may be some long-term consequences. When you mess with the chemicals in your brain, they tend to mess back, though obviously to varying degrees.

I have known people to use marijuana responsibly, and I have known people not to use it responsibly. Ultimately, it's up to the user to be responsible in their choices.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:39 pm
Lazarus The Resurected
freelance lover

I'm actualy pro the legalization of all forms of drugs (Maybe keep Crystal Meth illegal.) Drugs can be quite enjoyable when enjoyed responsibly.

I have not found any specific condemnation of pot in the bible. But, i think that's because it dosen't grow native in the middle east so the guys who wrote the book had never heard of it. Personaly, i quit smoking pot when i got bored.

To quote the poster on an old highschoool friend's bedroom wall. "Man made beer, God made weed. Who do you trust?"

rofl Hahaha, I love it!

My roommate's boyfriend actually tried a bunch of drugs when he was making a ton of money at Men's Warehouse. He and his friend just tried all the different drugs they could get their hands on, just for the experience. I'd actually be really open to trying that one day, if I could get my hands on some of the drugs. I've actually recently had a really strong desire to try like... acid and ecstasy recently xD

But I digress. The real reason I posted was because I wanted to add if anyone had an drug related questions (including marijuana) The Vaults of Erowid is a great resource. I really enjoy learning what different psychoactive do to the brain, and this has a lot of interesting information.

freelance lover
Crew

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:50 pm
Honestly, I don't support the legalization of any drug. Mind you, the Bible doesn't condemn things like marijuana. It is just me.

I won't tell people it is "wrong" to smoke pot. I can't. However, I will say I hate what it does to people. I've known plenty of people who use marijuana, both regularly and casually. In every case, I've found them intolerable while they were using marijuana.

I have never seen marijuana, or any other drug, used in a way which didn't make the person less pleasant to be around. Given they have only contributed negatively, I am glad they are illegal.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:57 pm
freelance lover
Lazarus The Resurected
freelance lover

rofl Hahaha, I love it!

My roommate's boyfriend actually tried a bunch of drugs when he was making a ton of money at Men's Warehouse. He and his friend just tried all the different drugs they could get their hands on, just for the experience. I'd actually be really open to trying that one day, if I could get my hands on some of the drugs. I've actually recently had a really strong desire to try like... acid and ecstasy recently xD

But I digress. The real reason I posted was because I wanted to add if anyone had an drug related questions (including marijuana) The Vaults of Erowid is a great resource. I really enjoy learning what different psychoactive do to the brain, and this has a lot of interesting information.

Never tried acid. My father recomended mushrooms instead because the stuff they got in the 70's isn't around anymore. 'Shrooms were pretty interesting thoug, they knocked cocaine from it's positions as my favorite drug. Ecstacy isn't a bad high, everything is much more fun, people are more interesting and you love everyone. on the downside your emotions polarize, if you end up upset on E you border on suicidal depression until you come down. and the comedown leaves you feelign like you have the worst hangover ever for a day or two. I'd recomend it if you intend to be around people who will keep your mood up and you drink ALOT of water.  

Lazarus The Resurected

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:59 pm
Lazarus The Resurected
freelance lover
Lazarus The Resurected
freelance lover

rofl Hahaha, I love it!

Never tried acid. My father recomended mushrooms instead because the stuff they got in the 70's isn't around anymore. 'Shrooms were pretty interesting thoug, they knocked cocaine from it's positions as my favorite drug. Ecstacy isn't a bad high, everything is much more fun, people are more interesting and you love everyone. on the downside your emotions polarize, if you end up upset on E you border on suicidal depression until you come down. and the comedown leaves you feelign like you have the worst hangover ever for a day or two. I'd recomend it if you intend to be around people who will keep your mood up and you drink ALOT of water.

I doubt it'll be trying anything I try anytime soon. The only drug I can readily obtain is pot, and every time I've been offered, I've never been up to it for one reason or another. Plus I don't trust street stuff. Half of all stuff sold as "Ecstasy" doesn't even contain MDMA. I like knowing what I put in my body, quite frankly.

However, I am, in general, a big proponent of legalization and I'm against the war on drugs because well... it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:42 pm
freelance lover
However, I am, in general, a big proponent of legalization and I'm against the war on drugs because well... it doesn't work.

Eh, the reason the war on drugs doesn't work is nobody really wants it to work. Drugs prohibition could work pretty well if there was actually the proper support for it.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:01 pm
I once read that the best way of destroying an illegal industry is legalising and organising it. I don't know if I believe that's true, but it's something to think about, no? I mean, I don't blame 'em for banning the hard stuff, but I'd like to take all-natural organically grown hallucinogens once in a while without feeling like I'm teetering on the edge of tipping into Chaotic Good, y'know?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:50 am
zz1000zz
freelance lover

Eh, the reason the war on drugs doesn't work is nobody really wants it to work. Drugs prohibition could work pretty well if there was actually the proper support for it.

I just prefer legalization of most drugs because then they can be regulated, which will make them safer. People are going to do drugs regardless, but by regulating them, people will be able to better educate themselves on what they're putting in their bodies. They'll know the dosage for sure, so there will be less guess work, and they'll be fully assured that the substance they're putting in their body is what they claim it is. I think it'll help remove the taboo that comes with drug use as well.

I just think it's a safer alternative. That's how I feel about most things though- banning only leads to making it more alluring.

freelance lover
Crew

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces