Reply Horror/Thriller
Vampire Hunter D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

a dead astronaut in space

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Vampire Hunter D is a mix of science-fiction and horror, but given that vampires are the main reason why D goes from sector to sector on the Frontier, it's more horror as vampires are associated with such-- as the canon implies. In any case, I'd like to make this the official Vampire Hunter D thread in this guild. Discussions on the novels, the movies, the manga and the upcoming anime series and live-action film.

So, has anyone ever seen the movies, read any of the novels and picked up the manga?

In terms of the novels, do you prefer the movies over them?

In regards to the manga, do you think Saiko Takaki is doing a good job adapting them? According to Hideyuki Kikuchi, he has known Saiko Takaki for a while now, even before he approached her to adapt his Vampire Hunter D series. If he could have chosen someone else, who would you consider to take on the daunting task to adapt a well received series into manga?

In the postscript of Twin-Shadow Knight, Hideyuki Kikuchi wrote, that due to the success of Twilight and other vampire-themed series, such as True Blood, the Vampire Hunter D animated series is underway, along with the live-action film. If you've read the novels and are up to date, you would have noticed that in the postscripts to Mysterious Journey to the North Sea Parts 1 & 2 were mentioned to be possible candidates for a series or movie. Whether the upcoming anime series or live-action movie will be based on those novels, I'm not sure, but I am hoping to keep this thread alive with whatever updates I can find. Wishful thinking on my part, but I would love to see the animated series follow the books. It seems like a daunting task to fit all the events that happen in the novels into a 30min-50min episode (if the series will be OVAs), but I can hope.

There was also supposed to be a North American comic mini-series entitled Vampire Hunter D: American Wasteland. Here is the source, which I'm sure some people are familiar with. In any event, I would have loved to see this series on shelves. For starters, I'm quite thrilled that there are many North American fans who enjoy the Vampire Hunter D series, and adding comics to the growing family of this series would have been awesome. I'm quite sad that these plans did not make it past the brainstorming stage, but had this series gone through, I'm sure it would have done well with the fans. I'm hoping that this project will be taken up again soon, in the near future.

Of course, where would this series be without the amazing work of Yoshitaka Amano? The creator of the D image, as well as various other characters that come and go throughout the series. Truly amazing work, and I am thrilled that Hideyuki Kikuchi and Yoshitaka Amano are still working together. The dynamic duo! mrgreen

So, any comments or input on this series?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:01 pm
I have yet to read the novels or manga, but I loved Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust, the other film..was.....okay i suppose.  

YoRHa
Crew

Distinct Conversationalist

12,900 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • First step to fame 200
  • Medalist 100

Starfighter34

Spirited Treasure-Seeker

7,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Power of Friendship 100
  • Team Player 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:43 pm
I saw both Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust and own on VHS. The second one was terrific, but the first one, I thought would stay w/ the main heroine and brother. I never read the manga.  
Horror/Thriller

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games