Review: Wulfrik (Warhammer Heroes)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:52 am
Emerging from the mists, Wulfrik the Wanderer brings destruction and death everywhere he treads. Cursed by the Ruinous Powers, the champion must travel across the Old World and seek prizes to appease the forces of Chaos. But now dark forces plot against Wulfrik, and he must discover the enemy within or else his soul will be lost to the Dark Gods forever.

Wulfrik is second in the Warhammer Heroes series that was kicked off by the Black Library last year, the first novel tackling the humourless and dour Ludwig Schwarzhelm, Champion of the Emperor, while Wulfrik unsurprisingly, is all about the cursed Champion of Chaos. In a nutshell the Warhammer Heroes line looks to expand on the background provided in the army books, in an attempt to make these impressive heroes of their respective races even more impressive. Not to mention adding in some much needed padding and background.

Wulfrik is cursed by the dark gods for his boasting. One night he got too drunk and made a boast that he was better than the Great Four combined. The Gods took notice and put their mark upon him. Making him stronger, more resilient and giving him the "Gift of Tongues", which allows him to understand any known language known to the Old World and to speak it flawlessly. This gift is mostly used in combination with another gift of his: the ability to spout taunts that drive his opponents into attacking him. But in return for the gifts the Dark Gods grant Wulfrik a dream-like image of the ones he needs to slay. Whom he must slay or forfeit his soul for all eternity. Of course, Wulfrik wants nothing more than to be a normal mortal again, for he has a love interest of his own, but her dastardly father, a mighty king has other plans. And so the novel kicks off with Wulfrik looking for a way to remove his curse.

The novel is in the same style as the classic pulp fantasy novels like Conan and his compatriots, taking several great elements that really make Fantasy all the more fantastic and over the top again: a magical longboat that can fly through the realm of Chaos, duels against beasts and creatures of great legend, journeys to far-off lands, even the blasted lands of the Chaos Dwarves are not safe from Wulfrik's wrath. Oh yes, Chaos Dwarves. The new Forge World subsidiary is working on them as I'm typing this, but in the mean time we've got a nice preview of what we might expect. If you like fights and the gruesome side of Chaos, you will enjoy this novel as well, as it's got plenty of fights and some rather sickening moments to boot.

The title character himself is an interesting character who is more than just a sword wielding barbarian. Some of his insults alone are worth getting the novel for. Wulfrik is supported by an interesting crew of cut throats and other fine examples of the Norse people, who a bit more than just red shirts that are thrown into the path of the villain of the chapter. Same goes for the many, many villains. I was expecting the Norse to be blunt, not so sneaky and full of schemes. It's almost as if a pack of Skaven taught them a thing or two about backstabbing!

To me personally the author, C.L. Werner, is in top-shape and really delivers a great tale of adventure, action and revenge with some nice twists that made me finish it in record time, something not a lot of novels make me do these days.

There were some minor niggly points, such as the author describing Wulfrik as a "hero", which he really isn't one bit, seeing as he's working for the Gods of Chaos. But then again, he is a hero to his Marauders. I also found the brutal ending, while most fitting, a bit sad. But don't mind me, I am but a mere weak Southling who can't stomach the harshness of the Norse.

All in all a great addition to the BL novel range and to the fantasy range, it has been a long time since I've read a fantasy novel that kept me turning pages until I was done.

Score: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.,5 out of five sacrifices to Khorne!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:28 pm
Funny how getting too drunk can get you into so much trouble. xd

I guess this is a book to keep in mind next time I need new reading fodder.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:21 pm
Lady Blodwynn

certain Felix Jaeger can attest: QFT!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 am
Van Evok
Lady Blodwynn

certain Felix Jaeger can attest: QFT!
Ah yes, the manling. pirate  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash