0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They have names!?
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

Piercing_Light

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:05 pm
Discuss what kinds of grips you use and why, and also what techniques (Moeller, finger control, etc...) and what makes you unique on the drumset. Do you do stick tricks? Talk about all things regarding your sticks (or lack thereof) here.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:44 pm
Ooooookkkkkk..... I'll start then. I typically use matched grip, sometimes I use traditional as a stylistic approach to whatever I'm doing. I've been using finger control a lot, but I'm going to start working with the Moeller technique a little more, and see how that works out for me.
I guess what makes me unique is that I use rolls quite a bit, and also experiment heavily with time superimposition/modulation; for instance I'm working on a rhythm that is 7/8 (toms) over 5/8(snare, hihat) over a triplet figure (bass drum) in 4 over 4 (hihat pedal). Of course, I really haven't gotten past 7/8 over 5/8 yet, but I can do triples in four over 5/8 and 7/8... I hope that made sense.
I've been practicing doublebass pedals a lot, how do you guys like it? Have you tried it?
I can do a couple of stick tricks, usually automatically when I'm not playing something with whatever hand I'm doing the trick with.
Anyways, I'm going to be posting a lot of Music lessons in my journal, for anyone who wants to learn something new.  

Piercing_Light

x.Marsh[mel]low.x
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:03 pm
...swing randomly and hope I don't get hit in the head? lmfao, naw. I dont really use and specific technique, whatever works for me.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:08 pm
I tend to use traditional grip more frequently, as I find it more comfortable for playing jazz, however, I do switch over for some latin, african, metal, and hard rock applications, where power or different motion ranges are needed.

As for techniques? I just use what works for me and produces the most musical results.

What makes me special? Believe it or not, I actually LOOK at the other musicians when playing. It may seem like a small thing, but there are so many I've seen who NEVER look at anyone else. It can make such a difference. I try to make the group sound good, not play in my own world.  

Saurencaerthai

Piercing_Light

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:52 pm
Saurencaerthai
I tend to use traditional grip more frequently, as I find it more comfortable for playing jazz, however, I do switch over for some latin, african, metal, and hard rock applications, where power or different motion ranges are needed.

As for techniques? I just use what works for me and produces the most musical results.

What makes me special? Believe it or not, I actually LOOK at the other musicians when playing. It may seem like a small thing, but there are so many I've seen who NEVER look at anyone else. It can make such a difference. I try to make the group sound good, not play in my own world.

Yes! Now that's the kind of answer I'm looking for xd Yes, looking at the musicians you're playing with is very important. Especially when you're giving or receiving cues, I can't believe how many people don'ot use cues, especially people who CAN'T COUNT. That just erks me. So do you use double bass pedals? I do, but I don't single it out and forget that the hi-hat has a pedal. In fact, I often keep time for myself when practicing by using the hi-hat, it really loosens up my other three limbs.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:12 pm
Piercing_Light
So do you use double bass pedals? I do, but I don't single it out and forget that the hi-hat has a pedal. In fact, I often keep time for myself when practicing by using the hi-hat, it really loosens up my other three limbs.

I used to have a doublekick pedal, but I sold it when I got rid of my Pearl Export and upgraded to my Sonor baby. It was fun, but I didn't have enough time with it to learn to use it tastefully. I may see about getting a second bass drum someday, though.

The one thing I can't stand, though, is using a double pedal as a substitute for poor single pedal technique. I feel right now that I have enough to work on with just training ONE foot, without having to introduce the harder facet of having a second bass drum in there.  

Saurencaerthai

Piercing_Light

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:39 pm
Saurencaerthai
The one thing I can't stand, though, is using a double pedal as a substitute for poor single pedal technique. I feel right now that I have enough to work on with just training ONE foot, without having to introduce the harder facet of having a second bass drum in there.

I can sympathize. I used to complain about drummers who use the double pedal as a substitute for a double kick. But, now that I have the experience of being able to do double kicks with and without the double pedal, I discovered that both methods have their different applications. Sometimes I use both techniques simultaneously, along with a low tom to create sort of an adapted five-stroke ruff. It's a very powerful sound. But I think it's very important, even without a bass pedal to train that left foot. The pedal action might feel a little different, but all-in-all, the foot action is the same.
When I started using my double bass pedals, I quickly realized that my hi-hat skills were minimal. But that's all changed now!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:38 am
i guess i use traditional...it really lets me relax when im playing and thats really the only reason why i play like that,  

drspoon

Drum_Master_T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:23 pm
I use matched, it works better for me on drum set and definetly on tenors! Double bass is cool and all but i also think each foot should be developed seperatly before you try two, it just gives you more options depending on the setting.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:26 pm
Anyone do triple backsticking? I leaned it a few months ago and it looks really impressive when played fast!  

Drum_Master_T

Piercing_Light

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:43 pm
Drum_Master_T
Anyone do triple backsticking? I leaned it a few months ago and it looks really impressive when played fast!

Explain this, triple backsticking...

Anyone use the "Ballistic-bass drums" technique? You know, that Joe Stronsick guy. Or anyone use the chopsticks? My finger strength has developed quite a bit since I got those.

I learned the one handed roll xp
Now I want to learn the fake one-handed roll, because it's louder.
Remember to stretch before and after you play!

After I learned that heel-toe-like technique (not quite the same) my bass fills have gone crazy. I want to get into multiple pedals, but I can't find any clamps to attach anything to them.

Doubles on the high hat sound neat. You should try it.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:46 pm
How to explain tripple backsticking... ummmm, its used in triplet form and each hit is followed by a flip/twist sort of thing. I'll look for an example I think i saw someone do it on Vic Firth.com. It can be used in singles, 1 hit on 1 hand and doubles on the non-flipping hand, and doubles on each hand- (VERY hard to play fast doubles this way)  

Drum_Master_T

Junai Bokunenjin

Ferocious Flautist

51,590 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Forever a Musician 500
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:25 pm
I'm not much if a drummer, but I can be when needed.  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Drum_Master_T
How to explain tripple backsticking... ummmm, its used in triplet form and each hit is followed by a flip/twist sort of thing. I'll look for an example I think i saw someone do it on Vic Firth.com. It can be used in singles, 1 hit on 1 hand and doubles on the non-flipping hand, and doubles on each hand- (VERY hard to play fast doubles this way)

You must be a drumcorps student. *sigh* luckyyyyy.....
Yeah, there is no real drumcorps stuff around central oregon. I wish I could have gotten into it. Although I know of one person.... hm....
Vic Firth is an amazing learning resource for percussionists. In fact, I'm thinking of only buying their sticks because of what they do for the drumming community. Except, some of the artists they feature are not very good...
Have you ever tried that... north west east south... sticking... thing? Marco Minnemann does it in his DVD.  

Piercing_Light

Tungska Butterfly

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:57 am
Quote:
I'm working on a rhythm that is 7/8 (toms) over 5/8(snare, hihat) over a triplet figure (bass drum) in 4 over 4 (hihat pedal). Of course, I really haven't gotten past 7/8 over 5/8 yet, but I can do triples in four over 5/8 and 7/8... I hope that made sense.

*weep* crying

All those numbers hurt my head! I've only ever played in 7/8 on one song ... and it was on the piano ... and it was still crap crying  
The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff