Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
Snowflaking

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arlingtonn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 am
Have you ever heard of the Snowflake method to compose your story?
If you haven't, here's a link

The basic idea is that you outline your characters and plot line, and with each step you get into deeper details and more development.

What do you think? I suppose that for those that write as they go, this isn't really ideal.

I like the concept. I'm not patient enough to complete each individual step, but I get alot of hints, tips, and ideas from it. The great thing is, that you can pick and choose what you want to do.

Also, I'm disappointed with the lack of activity in this guild, so I strongly urge you to reply, even if its pretty off topic.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:41 pm
i'm sorry i haven't been around a lot, i've been trying to keep up with RPs gonk

when i first read "snowflaking" i first though about spider maps, where you write a topic in a circle and branch off with a few main points about it and then branch more off of each of those to go more in depth. though that could get confusing after so many branches.....to the paster paper!  

StrayKit

Chezhire3Kat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:02 pm
I'll be honest; I had to look it up, and when I did, I completely glazed over. xD I write as I go, so this kind of thing really isn't good for me. It's kind of like a spider web thing, and I always hated those too. I feel like if I write it down, that means I have to follow it, you know? I'll write down my major plot points, but only after they've already been put down on paper so that I can keep track.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:17 pm
Haha, I thought it was some sort of spiderweb at first too. I always hated those- they were so disorganized and messy. I like to keep track of all my ideas in simple lists.

What I love about the snowflake method is how much it makes you think about your characters- even if you're writing as you go, you need to have strong, distict characters. And if thats all you get from the method, thats fine.

Chezhire- I don't do alot of writing as I go. I can do it, and its fun, but its also messy. I always have to go back and do alot of editing. I hope you don't have to do quite as much as I do.
Also, my favorite part of writing is coming up with the plot, so you can see why I would work out all the pieces. I actually tend to use 'plotting' as an excuse for procrastinating. At least I eventually get my stuff done.  

Arlingtonn

Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff