Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
Help with post-secondary information please??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

viper_353

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:16 pm
Hey, so it's getting into the middle of November. Which is definatley getting to crunch time for decisions on unviersities and such! I'm pretty sure I want to pursure journalism as a career. But I'm haveing trouble deciding on the fields I want to go into, and which universties I should look at. Because my city's college is going to need to know this to determine what courses I will need for transfers, the uni deciding is pretty important right now....does anyone know any good information or have some good websites for finding places?? I also live in Canada, and as of now have not taken my SATs, so I'm not looking into universities in the States right now. (Although information on any top journalism school there would be appreciated. I guess it's never too late to beg the counselors to let me take them!!) Any help PLEASE??? smile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:31 pm
Yeeeah Canadians!
So anyway, have you done any research?
Like... depending which province you're from, there should be a website that has all the listed universities within the province.
From there you can look up the program and the universities with the program will be listed.
I can especially help you if you're from Ontario.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/statistics/ugrad-app-stats/programs/program-journalism/

bam!  

Tsukuyomi25021

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 am
Ermm.
Considering I live in America, I can't give you much advice BUT--
Oregon has amazing journalism schools.
University of Oregon and Portland State University are top-dog in communications.
Of course, there's private schools as well, but if you're into bigger campuses (like me!) then state schools would be more your forte.

Use Google -- a lot.
Look up universities you're interested and request info by mail.
If Canada is like the US, Admissions Offices will send you tons of info for free.

Take the SATs even if you're just considering going to a US school.
Like, now. I procrastinated and regretted it. =/
And definitely get stuff done early since early action/priority apps are open to tons more scholarships than the final/official deadline.

Soooo...
I hope that helped somewhat!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:55 am
Yay! I'm not the only Canadian here! Start in your area and maybe sign up for some mailing lists, universities will send you plenty of information about them and their programs if you ask for it. Depending on where you live and if you're still in high school or not, your high school might have local universities visit for a presentation.

Since I don't know what city you live in, I'm not sure how much help I can offer, but look into nearby universities (whether in your province or city) before looking outside of it. There might also be a sort of 'fair' where a bunch of universities set up little booths and send representatives to talk to prospective students about their university.

Twilight Scribe

viper_353

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:31 pm
Thanks guys!! flauterfli, you're right google IS your best friend when searching for post-secondary info!! I'm still on the hunt for scholarships, but I've decided to stay in my city's college and then transfer to university after I have some money and experience!!! smile I'm going to go into journalism, and there's a direct transfer program from here to university of Regina, but it only accepts 26 kids a year!!!! So if I don't go there I'm looking at UBC or possibly Concordia, if i decide to go with French language programs rather than the Japanese ones I'm planning on now!! Wish me luck!!!! biggrin  
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games