Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
Tips or good art Tutorials?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:35 pm
Everything you said, it was a lie...

Hello! ^.^
For some time now I've been wanting to draw good. I've gotten better, but I still don't really like any of my work. I guess my best work would be:
[x]
[x]
[x]
[x]

So, anyone know any tips or tutorials to help me?

...We watched as the world watched you cry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Studying anatomy and drawing from life is a good start.

User Image

Milicent Howsham

Quvi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:16 pm
Q. How much do you want to improve?

Choice 1 - It's just a hobby. I want to be decent, I suppose.

You can look for tutorials of your favorite artist on sites such as deviantart or youtube. Practice drawing according to their teaching. There's a big list of tutorials right on our forums: here

Choice 2 - I want to take art seriously, and improve as much as I can.

Start with life drawings. You may want to skip this step and go straight for the style you like, but trust us on this. Your pictures show that you're going for a heavily stylized look.
But, good "Stylization" only comes after you have a general grasp of real anatomy and how things work realistically. THEN you can start breaking rules and twisting them so they work in a believable manner.

Buy an anatomy and drawing guide book. I suggest Betty Edward's "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" for the basics of drawing. Andrew Loomis is good for anatomy (old-school teaching).

Tips on your drawing - The shoulders should be wider than the head. The first picture looks like you tried to fit the entire image into the page so you cut down on the length of the leg. Don't do that, just let the legs run off the canvas.
Don't forget shading and lighting! Also, the human body is normally about 6 to 7 heads high (Varies on style, but this is the general norm).

I'm sure you're aware of this, but art is a lifelong journey, one where you should never be satisfied with the level you are at. Keep pushing forward, and draw constantly! This is the only way to improve. Good luck!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:07 pm
Here is a list of tutorials :3  

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,000 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 pm
Everytrhing you said, it was a lie...

@Bloody Vaginal Queef: Sure, I could try it sweatdrop
@Quvi: I have tried actually life-like drawings over and over again. Nothing turned out good >.<;; I made it look like a baby with no control with their hands drew it. So, I just make cartoon drawings since that's where I actually like some of the things I draw. Also, I do a couple full-body drawings, and the legs turned out horrible. Yes, I'm still trying to improve it. I'm actualy drawing on MS Paint and on paper. I just got a scanner, now I'm trying to find out how to use it so I can put actually drawings on paper. Those were just practice ones drawn on MS Paint. But, thanks for all the tips to improve! I'll keep working hard. :3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:25 am
--Undead Horror Doll--

@Quvi: I have tried actually life-like drawings over and over again. Nothing turned out good >.<;; I made it look like a baby with no control with their hands drew it. So, I just make cartoon drawings since that's where I actually like some of the things I draw. Also, I do a couple full-body drawings, and the legs turned out horrible. Yes, I'm still trying to improve it. I'm actualy drawing on MS Paint and on paper. I just got a scanner, now I'm trying to find out how to use it so I can put actually drawings on paper. Those were just practice ones drawn on MS Paint. But, thanks for all the tips to improve! I'll keep working hard. :3

Aww... well, as I'm sure you know, no one is good the first time! This is what this guild is for! If you ever need help on realism, post them here smile I think you like the cartoon style more only because cartoon style really doesn't have a definition of how it should be drawn, whereas realism has pretty strict rules. But learning learning the actual form and how it works will help the cartoon style's quality jump up a lot higher smile

Oh, and I'm not saying it's impossible to learn to draw well unless you do realism, it's just a MUUCH longer process of trial error, figuring out what looks right and wrong. But developing the sense to judge that can take years without buckling down and learning.  

Quvi

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:43 am
Quvi
--Undead Horror Doll--

Aww... well, as I'm sure you know, no one is good the first time! This is what this guild is for! If you ever need help on realism, post them here smile I think you like the cartoon style more only because cartoon style really doesn't have a definition of how it should be drawn, whereas realism has pretty strict rules. But learning learning the actual form and how it works will help the cartoon style's quality jump up a lot higher smile

Oh, and I'm not saying it's impossible to learn to draw well unless you do realism, it's just a MUUCH longer process of trial error, figuring out what looks right and wrong. But developing the sense to judge that can take years without buckling down and learning.

Yeah, and in realism it's harder for me to get all the right texture lines. So, I'm gonna keep practicing on that. >.<

I do a lot more detail on paper cause it's easier with a pencil than a mouse making detail in hair and all that. I'll get my dad t help me with the scanner soon when he's not busy. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 pm
I actually agree.

When it comes to drawing, it is best to learn what real life looks like and how to draw it accurately, before you learn to draw distortions of real life such as cartoon and anime.

If you learn to draw solely based on a distortion of real life, you're not giving yourself much room to grow.  

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200
Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers