Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Heavy Assault Imperial Guard Infantry

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:49 pm
It's probably not much of a name yet, but it's an idea I've been tossing around and am finally close to starting.
The concept is this: take the leftover parts from the Cadian squad I had bought to assemble and butcher for my Tau and my girlfriend's 'Nids and combine them with a squad of Space Marines. I won't be attaching the Pauldrons, as they're way to big and bulky for Powered Armor for us normal Humans and I'll be filling in the abdominal area of the Suit, give it a very armored, limited movement look to it. I'm also planning on keeping all of the special weapons from the Guard squad, but replacing the Las Rifle with the Bolters from the Space Marine kit.
Yes, I am quite aware that I will never get to use this squad, I'm aware I'm breaking the rules, but who cares? It's awesome! biggrin

Please give me any kind of feedback you can give me of anything that would sound better to add/modify/subtract. And you guys know the rules a whole lot better than I do, so if you can think of any sort of rule set as well, I think everyone else would find that interesting as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:22 pm
I guess you can use them as stormtroopers - they do get strong guns and armor.  

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:35 pm
Heh, I'm getting mental images of the picture where an officer (French?) from WWI is wearing a heavy metal breastplate instead of standard uniform. If I can hunt it down, I'll post it. I think it would make a good look to aim for.

-=Edit=-
It was heavy flak/steel and could stop rounds from an MP-40 at 100+ Meters! Heaven forbid the people holding the MP-40s actually move in to their effective range.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:22 am
German Sturm Pionieren also wore bulky body armour during the first world war:

As for you squad: I'd say modify the lasguns into bulkier weapons, possibly by using parts from spare bolters. That way you could field them as veterans with the carapace upgrade.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:37 am
Caleidah
Heh, I'm getting mental images of the picture where an officer (French?) from WWI is wearing a heavy metal breastplate instead of standard uniform. If I can hunt it down, I'll post it. I think it would make a good look to aim for.

-=Edit=-
It was heavy flak/steel and could stop rounds from an MP-40 at 100+ Meters! Heaven forbid the people holding the MP-40s actually move in to their effective range.

this is evidently Soviet engineer - notice the PPSh SMG and flamethrower operator in the background...  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:11 am
The helmet is also a pretty clear give away. wink  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 pm
Well, I was thinking of keeping the Aquila on the helmets and breast plates and probably not quite that thick of armor. sweatdrop
Also, I think sticking with Bolters may work out better for aesthetic reasons, but I will definitely try messing with them!
Do any of you run Space Marines and might be able to give a few tips with the armor.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:13 am
you could try beefing up the scout models, they already look fairly guardsy,give 'em proper helmets and they might work,  

RagingBluMunky

Dedicated Tactician

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:53 am
Astartes Scouts with head swaps can work, depending on the heads really. I got two boxes of them and gave them Cadian vehicle crew heads to represent Naval armsmen. They look okayish. I got another batch done with Pig Iron Heavy Infantry Closed Helmets, which suits them even better really:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:58 pm
Hmm, those sounds great for making Stormtroopers, they should look like a good mix of Astartes and Guard, but I'm thinking of something completely new from that.
I probably should have been more clear, but I'm trying to put together regular Guardsmen simply with Powered Armor. If I use the heads and the same heavy weapons, they should keep that classy Guard look they have to themselves. But I'm probably going to try some of these others, I'd like to have them all next to each other for comparison.  

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff