Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Dungeons and Dragons Group Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm
So, I've been wanting to do some sort of community project. I'm a big fan of after school programs and extra curricular activities, things that get kids off the streets and into Churches, or get them to hang out, socialize.

However, not every kid is an athlete. Nor does every kid want to review "Church Appropriate" cinema, or sculpt balloons. These are things I've found at the Church I attend.

I was thinking about getting a few people together and running a Dungeons and Dragon's group for the local kids with the help of the Church.

Any thoughts?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:12 am
I approve of this idea, but I do have one major warning. New D&D groups tend to be as good as their DM is. If you are going to do this, you need to make sure your DM knows more than just how to run a D&D game. He (or she) needs to know how to settle disputes, resolve differences and ensure people get a sense of community. Drama and other interpersonal issues are often the largest problems for a D&D group.

Without knowing more information, there's isn't a lot I can say. I don't know how much experience you have with organizing something like this, or what sort of levels of interest and/or knowledge the people involved might have. I will say you should consider (even if not at first) trying to get non-church members to attend. I don't mean this as trying to convert them, but just fostering relations. If you do this, it is important you ensure nobody feel pressured or uncomfortable.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be glad to do my best to answer them. Otherwise, all I have to say is it is a good idea.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Aachren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:31 am
You might consider the fact that some people at church might have an issue with D&D...it all depends on how conservative they are.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:49 pm
Aachren
You might consider the fact that some people at church might have an issue with D&D...it all depends on how conservative they are.

Church members who have an issue with D&D need to get over it.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:42 pm
Actually, that never really crossed my mind. I was thinking about whether or not this would be a workable extra curricular. I mean, I was thinking I'd have to make sure some of the violence was toned down (I've had light campaigns to downright violent) and a "No Evil Characters rule" (of course, that's less because of the Church but because mixed Good and Evil Characters make a DM's job harder).

I've got a couple people interested, neither of them are Christian....

Also, to make the topic more interesting, what sort of activities do you think would be a godd asset for Church-based after school activities? I'm a major proponent, but I think the ideals have gone stale.....  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:42 am
I think that'd be fun, and great niche for people. Just be aware you may meet with some opposition from people in your church, since some people think it's demonic for some reason. It really depends on your church. You may just prepare some arguments ahead of time to counter that in case it comes up.  

freelance lover
Crew

Naristar

Dangerous Nerd

14,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:22 am
At my church we have a Battle Tech groupe
and a unoffical D&D group
and its good if you get Non Christians to come.
Show the love, break some stereo types,
It sounds like a stellar Idea!!
Things like this make good segways, one of my friends is my DM and he is always bringing people he meets in games to church.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:38 pm
I've heard mixed things about the D&D. I have heard that it's a bored game and then I have heard that it has to do with the occult. Which of these is true? Or both false? I am not sure what to think on it because I am not exactly educated on what it is. My dad told me when I was growing up that D&D should be avoided because it's a lot like the Oujia board. Not sure if that's accurate or not either.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:08 pm
It's a Role playing game. You play the role of a character that you make up within the rules of the game and act out how that character would react in this fantasy game world. The world is completely fictional but may be inspired by real world things. It's like WoW before people had computers and such. D&D can include magic and gods but again it's understood that this is all make believe and neither of these has to the focus of a campaign (series of gaming sessions).  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:06 pm
Shadows-shine
I've heard mixed things about the D&D. I have heard that it's a bored game and then I have heard that it has to do with the occult. Which of these is true? Or both false? I am not sure what to think on it because I am not exactly educated on what it is. My dad told me when I was growing up that D&D should be avoided because it's a lot like the Oujia board. Not sure if that's accurate or not either.

Oujia is a childish activity that fans and detractors believe has actual spiritual properties, when really they work on the basis of Automatism. You hold the eye piece over the letters, and "Spirits" are supposed to talk to you. In reality, you are the one moving it.

Now, you may say "Nuh uh! I was perfectly still!"

Well, now it's time for the Beakman Challenge! (and perhaps other Dated References). Hold your hand in front of you, suspended in the air. As still as you can.

Now keep it there.

Eventually, it's going to move. Since you are on the computer, perhaps asking me when i will get to my next dated reference, your hand probably moved towards the key board. Your mind, despite the fact that you aren't actively thinking about it, is preparing your next action. Your body is responding, albeit with resistance.

Now, imagine it's a sleepover, with four or five preteen-early teen girls. It's going to move. It's going to give answers. Some that might have been anticipated. Some that may be in the back of their mind.

Dungeons and Dragons is a role playing game. It deals with the occult, yes, but it's not an occult practice, no more than watching Dr. Who is watching a documentary. The reason there is some hesitance is because you portray characters who do magic, worship nonchristian Gods, ect, ect. Wild acts of the imagination. If you believe a Christian should avoid acts of the imagination, then its wrong. But to claim that it IS occult is not true.

There were several people who made claims about it's occult history, most of which have been discredited, or proven untrue.

You see, in Dungeons and Dragons, you are given the world, the creatures, the cities, ect. What you do after that is up to you. So, it's hard for me to say that it DOES or DOESN'T promote unhealthy activities. The worst we get in my games is usually a sword fight and some PG-13 language. I'm sure other people have games filled with sex, rape, violence, torture, ect. That's because the game is up to the players.

If you are still uncomfortable, the game is variable- You can change the rules, and just keep the same system. You have the basis, but you can change it. That's why the game is as interesting as it is.

I'm looking up anti Dungeons and Dragons websites now. Most of them are quite hilarious, actually.... From Bill Schnoebelen who claimed that spells from the game have ACTUAL DEMONIC POWER (which is weird. Every time I shout "Magic Missile" at people they don't blow up, and rather they look at me like an idiot). I mean, if it had actual demonic power, I'm sure people would be using it much much more.

As far as the group is concerned, I DID get some backing from the church. Not financially, which I didn't expect. I just need to find two more people to help me run it.

After showing them my books, they laid some ground rules- No evil characters (which I don't want anyway, because its hard to DM for evil and good mixed parties), no adult content (they said PG, PG13 tops), and I have to tie in a Christian Lesson after every session. Which might be more difficult, considering there is no telling what point we leave off.

Still, it's a no go unless I get more people interested in running it.  

Matt Pniewski

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:55 pm
Oddly enough, I've actually been wanting to start DM'ing again. Unfortunately, this area has no D&D activity.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 pm
"I wanna cast MAGIC MISSLE, I attack the darkness" rofl rofl rofl rofl  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:36 pm
zz1000zz
Oddly enough, I've actually been wanting to start DM'ing again. Unfortunately, this area has no D&D activity.

I know, right. Oklahoma sad  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:39 pm
freelance lover
zz1000zz

I know, right. Oklahoma sad

Actually, I haven't been in Oklahoma for a while now. Of course, when I was there, D&D options were quite limited. I was in one group, but the DM effectively kicked me out because I was too good.  

zz1000zz
Crew

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:46 pm
I think D&D would be a great thing for a church youth group, given (as discussed) that they aren't the "omfg it is teh ebil" type. It seems that most of the "evil" surrounding the game has dissipated over the past few years, so it might not be that much of a big deal. Though if you do encounter either potential players or elders that are a bit squeamish about the idea, offer to run a Christian-themed campaign. Set it in the Crusades, or be soldiers in King David's army, or heck, even just insert a new One God into the traditional D&D pantheon and have the plot center around his emergence and the few chosen ones needed to promote the new deity.

zz, I wish you lived more around here. I think you'd have a lot of fun with my group, as all but two of us were previous DMs, and know how to handle good players smile  

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games