Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Chatterbox
What motivates you? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quvi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:53 pm
Do you have anyone near you who really amazes you? Do you get depressed that you'll never be as good as them? Hopeful that one day you'll catch up?

My friend just stopped by my dorm room and whipped out his portfolios online, and I was sad lol. I was almost too ashamed to show him my digital stuff. Maybe I shouldn't be too upset because digital painting is his future job and all, but still, it really makes me question what I've been doing all these years.

It was a big wake-up call and big motivation to work harder than ever.

So, does anyone/anything inspire/motivate you? Or am I the only one going into art as a future career :p (Animation major 2nd year)  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:34 am
That happens alot to me
I can never get over the fact that there are people who are way better then me and I'll never be as good sweatdrop  

Rizzi Chan

Sparkly Lover

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Member 100

Quvi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:44 am
Rizzi-Chan
That happens alot to me
I can never get over the fact that there are people who are way better then me and I'll never be as good sweatdrop
Good artists depress me :p  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:47 am
yea because you know they will always be very good, but they are kind when it comes to giving help to people who want it
Quvi
Rizzi-Chan
That happens alot to me
Good artists depress me :p

Rizzi Chan

Sparkly Lover

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Member 100

ahrain cynath

11,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:05 am
Well, I'm not going into art. (I'm in a business course.) But, I wish I were. It's something I love.

So yes. I get sad when I see how much better other people are. And, it frustrates me even more that I can't practice (and hence improve) as much as I'd like since that's not what my course is about...

Some people just make it look easy, like they were born with a gift. I envy that. :c  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:30 am
I just found that I have talent in art last year, so I'm not really as depressed. I'm actually amazed at how much I've learned from the other artists. Of course, I've always doodled random pictures, but I never really fully got into it until I took a mandatory art class in eighth grade (last year) and my art teacher showed me stuff that really pushed me into art. (Of course with the realistic portrait, the eyes looked buggy, but that wasn't my focus)

I'm planning on maybe taking an art minor in college when I get there. (With either a biology or English major) But that's really far off.

I watch speedpaints on YouTube and I learn from them as well.

Other artists motivate me to learn more! ^.^  

Sapphirianna

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Vapora Star

7,000 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:20 am
I'm motivated by beautiful scenery...it just brings back those good ole days. =) I especially like watching certain movies when I'm bummed..like Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away or something else. Japanese culture and Chines architecture really insire me as well.

and I wanna be an animator too~! ^-^ I love seeing art come to life @w@ can I ask a question? What kind of software or tools of the trade do you use with your animation?
I bought "Animation Studio 5" or whatever and it doesn't suit me ...at all...>=(  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:38 am
That happened to me in these last few months. I have drawing 101 at a local college and well...

I always thought I was pretty good! You know? I was cocky and confident in my art skills.

Then this girl shows up with these AMAZING drawing abilities. I mean she's got value transitions MASTERED, she knows her composition, she's just all around great.

And she kinda put me to shame. = __ =;;

But you know what? It makes me want to work twice as hard. She has probably been drawing much longer than me, thus her skill. So I'm going to practice more and hopefully one day, my art will be great too.

One day I want to work for Walt Disney Studios preferably as a freelance artist. That's my dream. That's what motivates me. And I'm not giving up without a fight. smile

(Freshmen in college, Art Major with a focus in graphic design)  

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,000 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:58 am
Even if there are some artists who are beyond your league, you should always try to improve. As long as you improve, you should not get depressed over the amazing artists. All artists once start out as amateur artists. And I don't believe in talent; I believe in hard-work and determination. It's not like you pick up a pencil and you found out that you have to the ability to draw something amazing. No, it's really takes a while until you can see it.

Look at my Improvement meme; it shows the improvement between the years: [link]

I don't start out good. You can the see the improvement as the years progressed. It is because I worked hard on the poses and anatomy. I looked at the expert artist's drawings and looked through tutorials. It wasn't easy, but with a lot of determination, I felt relieved that I improved.

Don't doubt yourself because you see artists that seem to draw better than you. I once had that feeling, but I had hope to improve. I don't want to draw better than the artists, I wanted to improve, to find my weaknesses and then obliterate them. I wanted to be satisfied that I can improve; I don't want to be better than them. As I keep altering my style, I will find the one that I am satisfied with: a unique style that is different from others in comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 am
Watergirl244
Even if there are some artists who are beyond your league, you should always try to improve. As long as you improve, you should not get depressed over the amazing artists. All artists once start out as amateur artists. And I don't believe in talent; I believe in hard-work and determination. It's not like you pick up a pencil and you found out that you have to the ability to draw something amazing. No, it's really takes a while until you can see it.

Look at my Improvement meme; it shows the improvement between the years: [link]

I don't start out good. You can the see the improvement as the years progressed. It is because I worked hard on the poses and anatomy. I looked at the expert artist's drawings and looked through tutorials. It wasn't easy, but with a lot of determination, I felt relieved that I improved.

Don't doubt yourself because you see artists that seem to draw better than you. I once had that feeling, but I had hope to improve. I don't want to draw better than the artists, I wanted to improve, to find my weaknesses and then obliterate them. I wanted to be satisfied that I can improve; I don't want to be better than them. As I keep altering my style, I will find the one that I am satisfied with: a unique style that is different from others in comparison.

Do you have a link to the blank version of that meme? I wanna do it too! >w<  

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,000 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:41 am
@Pandiecakes: Here is the link. Read the description before filling it out. Also, if you don't have Photoshop, use this one instead.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:42 am
Well...The reason I begin drawing was my brother so he pretty much motive me to draw since I was 3. But I'm not taking art as my major (it science wink ) maybe my minor since I'm interested in it. People said I should major in art ,but I don't see myself last very long it in even though I enjoy drawing ^^ Yeah most people feel discourage when they see a very awesome artwork but for me it get me more upbeat to draw better.  

XDSuki

Dedicated Saint

7,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Quvi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:14 am
Watergirl244
@Pandiecakes: Here is the link. Read the description before filling it out. Also, if you don't have Photoshop, use this one instead.
;__; I cant find my 2003 stuff... I was quite horrendous at that time smile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 am
I find my inspirations come from artists I think are better than me and who happen to be my age or a few years older. Of course I envy them XD but I don't get discouraged because I know I'll catch up one day. Besides, I think art isn't about being great...it's about expressing your thoughts, emotions, dreams or whatever you want to. For example, I painted this to express how sad and lonely I felt at the time. Those swans are the girl's best friends because she doesn't have a human friend in the world. It wasn't about painting something pretty it was just to express myself. =]

=] I really recommend that art improvement meme Watergirl244 posted because it really let's you see just how much better you are now and gives you an idea of how great you'll become in the next few years. It's a nice self-inspiration. Blank meme: *Click* My improvement meme: *Click*

Besides people I have other inspirations that don't really inspire me to improve but rather inspire me to paint. I'll show a bit of what I've painted due to each inspiration.
Nature is one of them.
My own imagination is another; it's what got me drawing in the first place XD I used to write a lot (and I still do but now the time I used to use for writing sometimes goes to art now so I don't write as much) wanted to draw some of my characters instead of searching for a pic online to show people what I imagine them to look like.
Music can sometimes help set a mood or inspire an entire picture. I usually tend to favor movie scores or video game soundtracks and classical music.
Video games are another inspiration to draw. Especially the ones that feature lots of customization (like ESIV: Obilvion and MMO Perfect World International).
My own dreams inspire me too.

O.O Despite being so inspired to do my art I feel like the only one on Gaia who hasn't and isn't taking art classes LoL. =] You guys inspire me too! heart  

IndigoNight

Hardrock_Cafe

Aged Smoker

8,400 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:55 am
Thats pretty many - from doodle artist who dont give so much attention to osum famous painters. xd  
Chatterbox

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff