Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Question for females only

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:49 pm
Since I am female, I retain water every now adn then. I was at 227 two days ago now I am at 232 again and its holding it.

any advice how I can stop my body from retaining water?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:03 pm
I have no idea. I do the same thing crying

But I think they have pills that help with that.  

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100

frakkin

Wheezing Pieslinger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:13 pm
User Image

Lower your sodium intake, and increase your water intake. Your body retains water when there's too much salt, or when you're not drinking enough water. Regular exercise, and eating healthy also helps. A lot of fruits have a good amount of water in them, so they'd help you get more water in your body.

I think ibuprofen helps, but it's not for long term use (Can cause stomach bleeding and ulcers). If it's around your period, it should be fine. Or if the water retention is just occasional.

Also maybe calcium and magnesium. Taking those supplements would probably also help.

Caffeine, too, actually. It's a diuretic. Don't have too much, or your body will become dehydrated again, and thus retain water.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:14 pm
The first thing to do is make sure that you're drinking LOTS of water. If you don't take in enough fluids, your body will attempt to hold on to whatever it can get. Lots of water helps to keep your system flushed out and helps get rid of the byproducts of your body breaking down excess weight.

The next thing to do is to try to pay attention and see what your body is particularly sensitive to. Some people bloat really easily off of salty foods, some off of sugary foods, and/or simple carbohydrates. Soda can also be a culprit due to the carbonation. If you can learn your triggers, you can avoid them in the days leading up to whatever point in your cycle that you tend to bloat.

Lastly, there are diuretic pills that you can take, but please don't use them just to see a decrease on the scale--that's leading down the road to some unhealthy behavior. If the bloating is causing discomfort or making it harder to get into your clothes, then go ahead and give them a try, but only AFTER you've made darn sure that you're drinking extra water and cutting back on the sugar and salt.  

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:21 pm
frakkin
User Image

Lower your sodium intake, and increase your water intake. Your body retains water when there's too much salt, or when you're not drinking enough water. Regular exercise, and eating healthy also helps. A lot of fruits have a good amount of water in them, so they'd help you get more water in your body.

I think ibuprofen helps, but it's not for long term use (Can cause stomach bleeding and ulcers). If it's around your period, it should be fine. Or if the water retention is just occasional.

Also maybe calcium and magnesium. Taking those supplements would probably also help.

Caffeine, too, actually. It's a diuretic. Don't have too much, or your body will become dehydrated again, and thus retain water.
I try to avoid a lot of salt, and I have been eating plenty of fruit and veggies and drinking tons of water.

and yeah its probably cause of aunt flow/red tide, but I will give extra water a chance. its just I have been feeling bloated upon drinking too.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:24 pm
Munkers
The first thing to do is make sure that you're drinking LOTS of water. If you don't take in enough fluids, your body will attempt to hold on to whatever it can get. Lots of water helps to keep your system flushed out and helps get rid of the byproducts of your body breaking down excess weight.

The next thing to do is to try to pay attention and see what your body is particularly sensitive to. Some people bloat really easily off of salty foods, some off of sugary foods, and/or simple carbohydrates. Soda can also be a culprit due to the carbonation. If you can learn your triggers, you can avoid them in the days leading up to whatever point in your cycle that you tend to bloat.

Lastly, there are diuretic pills that you can take, but please don't use them just to see a decrease on the scale--that's leading down the road to some unhealthy behavior. If the bloating is causing discomfort or making it harder to get into your clothes, then go ahead and give them a try, but only AFTER you've made darn sure that you're drinking extra water and cutting back on the sugar and salt.

alright. I havent actually had any soda in a few days now. maybe a week. I had some tea earlier, and some irish oatmeal. I cant think of what could have caused it but lately I have been staying away from most meats. I have been eating mostly fruits and veggies but the higher sodium stuff are the burgers that I eat, boca burgers. the veggie burgers I usually get arent high in sodium. and neither are the fish burgers.  

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:24 am
Water retention happens because of chemical changes within the body. These include: too much sodium; too much sugar; not enough water being drunk (so the body gets scared and holds onto every drop); not enough water being released (through urination -- try going more often); menstrual cycle gearing up to begin; exercise and sweat; temperature changes of greater than 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

The last is a big deal especially in winter and summer, but at all times, really. If you go indoors from outside, or vice versa, EVERY ten Fahrenheit degrees of change should be greeted with an 8oz glass of water. If it's 30F outside, and it's 65F inside, you need three and a half glasses of water to compensate for what the body does in order to regulate its temperature. (And by "water," I mean it in the Weight Watchers sense: any liquid that isn't sugary, alcoholic, or caffeinated -- includes milk, diet soft drinks, no-sugar-added fruit juice, soup, decaf tea and coffee, and of course actual water).  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:11 am
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has replied to this. This topic has helped me out a lot heart  

Arashi V6 Dream

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 am
yeah I cant drink fake soda to begin with, so Alright. and yes my period was starting, it just freaked me out that I randomly gained 5 lbs after being able to maintain it for a few weeks.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:13 am
Alright water weight came down again and I am back to 225 again. Woo hoo! Hooray for fruits and veggies and a little bit of chicken.  

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50

Conceptual Misconception

Original Loiterer

20,750 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:55 am
You should drink about 3 liters of water a day.
That should help. It will also give you more energy because of the detox effect.
Cut back on oils, grease and salts.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games