Reality Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dr_lecter1988
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:02 am
Over the last week, i've been thinking. Does a completely objective reality even exist? because we all have our own subjective reality of our own. Our perceptions are all different, without the perceptions of people, is there a reality? and if so How would we ever be able to tell exactly what said reality is?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:11 am
Well reality is subjective depending on your point of view, and filtered through your values and believes, there is consentual reality which is based on what the majority think and believe. For example, in america the majority of people believe that you can not fly, there for you can not fly under your own power. This helps define how reality operates because enough people believe that science is unquestionably true even though it has been found to have it's flaws in the past.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Audlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:05 am
I always liked the quote "Reality is that which does not go away when you stop believing in it", myself. I'm afraid I forget who said it, right now.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:55 am
Anniel
I always liked the quote "Reality is that which does not go away when you stop believing in it", myself. I'm afraid I forget who said it, right now.

Unfortuantly I don't like that quote because a lot of what I include in my definition of reality would indeed go away if I didn't believe in it. Things like spirits, ghosts, fairies, and the like don't care much for being disbelieved.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:17 am
Things like ghosts and faeries are a thorny problem. In their case, the question becomes whether they really go away if you stop believing them, or whether they simply go away from you. I would argue that, just as something can be real even if you've never seen it, things can also be real even if they don't want anything to do with you.

At least I hope so. People who disagree with me could easliy argue that I don't exist... considering all the prats I wanted nothing to do with in highschool.

Ooh, that raises another pesky question. If you have no dealings with the other people in this world, are you still living in it?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:44 pm
lurichan
Anniel

Unfortuantly I don't like that quote because a lot of what I include in my definition of reality would indeed go away if I didn't believe in it. Things like spirits, ghosts, fairies, and the like don't care much for being disbelieved.

What if they stopped believing in you? Would you go away then?

Really though, I think anyone interested in this should examine solipism. Whether or not you agree with it, it can help you figure out how to approach the subject in order to make up your own mind.  

zz1000zz
Crew

2on

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:47 am
Reality is created, altered and nurtured through each individual. It's a bit of a case of "I think therefore I am." If we stopped achknowledging our own existence, we could make our own reality non existant.

Think about extremists, fixation on something believed to such a degree it creates it as an entity in the individuals reality, unconciously.
If we can create, then we can also destroy parts of reality. Without people there is no reality to exist, because it cannot be interpreted without mind.
Reality is an interpretation, perception, but cannot stand as itself. It's fraility alone would cripple it without the strengh of acceptance, belief and reliance.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:00 am
oh wow. This is giving me a major head ache lol. I think I'm going to go lay down...  

[((Velociraptor))]

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
2on
Reality is created, altered and nurtured through each individual. It's a bit of a case of "I think therefore I am." If we stopped achknowledging our own existence, we could make our own reality non existant.

Think about extremists, fixation on something believed to such a degree it creates it as an entity in the individuals reality, unconciously.
If we can create, then we can also destroy parts of reality. Without people there is no reality to exist, because it cannot be interpreted without mind.
Reality is an interpretation, perception, but cannot stand as itself. It's fraility alone would cripple it without the strengh of acceptance, belief and reliance.

While that sounds nice to say, there is really nothing to show that it is true... I suppose you could use the uncertainty principle (physics) to support it, but it is generally accepted that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one was around... it would still make a sound.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:23 am
zz1000zz
2on

While that sounds nice to say, there is really nothing to show that it is true... I suppose you could use the uncertainty principle (physics) to support it, but it is generally accepted that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one was around... it would still make a sound.

The uncertainty principle has no basis in perception in itself.
It doesn't particularly matter anyway, a belief doesnt need published support to make it valid and real.  

2on

ceilisidhe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:53 am
lurichan
Well reality is subjective depending on your point of view, and filtered through your values and believes, there is consentual reality which is based on what the majority think and believe. For example, in america the majority of people believe that you can not fly, there for you can not fly under your own power. This helps define how reality operates because enough people believe that science is unquestionably true even though it has been found to have it's flaws in the past.

...which is the basis for urban legends...a couple have been "copycatted" though lack of actual evidence or clues leads me to believe perhaps consentual reality caused it to occur.
Also why no-one can prove or disprove certain phenomenon beyond reasonable doubt. Reality's jury is balanced on those points, more or less.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:12 am
2on
zz1000zz
2on

The uncertainty principle has no basis in perception in itself.
It doesn't particularly matter anyway, a belief doesnt need published support to make it valid and real.

The uncertainty principle has an interesting effect on perception though. It shows there is a barrier preventing humans from gaining certain information. By doing so, a portion of the universe will always be blocked from human perception.  

zz1000zz
Crew

MysteryCross

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:49 pm
Reality is over-rated; next to being mature to your parents...... stare  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:19 pm
If we all had the same preception, then we would all sharre one whole realty which would be like seeing yourself in everyone around which would be boring and we would all think, act, talk and learn the same. Thats why we have our own preceptions of life. To keep life interesting. Yeah some of the people in this world have poor perception of the world, but that is their problem noy ours. All we are here to do is to suceed in our own why. Also why should we have a perplanned purpose? Why can't we make our own? I think of it as this, I make my own distiny/path I follow, and i make my own decision, I punish my ownself with my decisiion, no one else. But that is just me.  

The Black Rose of theDark

The Rose of Demise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:03 am
Reality in terms of what people want is simply that it is the perception of one person and that that reality belongs to that person only. In other words, reality is pretty much whatever you accept it to be. But Reality is what is truly out there. Just because someone is not in your reality, that doesn`t mean that they don`t exist in the real world. Although something isn`t in yours, they aren`t terminated.
We have yet to see or even begin to comprehend the true reality. The way the earth and universe are. Not the way that we see it.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff