Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Hogsmeade
Streets of Hogsmeade Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 55 56 57 58 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garden of Wisteria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm
~~Nottingham McNair~~

User ImageNott wasn't quite sure where to go first. The streets were bustling in the usual happy way that he always associated with Hogsmeade. It was nice just to be among the other witches and wizards. Looking around he tried to spy young people in Hogwarts robes. Perhaps someone was willing to share a few stories about school with him or tell him what to expect when he arrived. But he couldn't pick out any students. Either there were none, or they were all in regular clothes.

It seemed strange to him, some of the clothes that the Muggle born students wore. Not that he was the height of fashion. Looking down he brushed a little snow off of his old winter robes. Typically he didn't wear robes, but driving the cart through the snow called for warm clothing and this was warmer than any of his coats. Underneath he had his typical boots and trousers with some awful sweater that had been lurking in his drawer for ages. Ugly but, again, warm.

Smirking gaily, up ahead he saw an enchanted broom sweeping the sidewalk in front of a shop. It was nearly done with its job as Nott approached. He stood at the edge of the clean stone as the broom hovered a good twenty paces away sweeping in short, rhythmic strokes. Then, calmly, Nott reached out his foot and kicked a clod of snow from the bank onto the clean stone. The broom paused in its job, then slowly hover down towards Nott and purposefully swished the snow away before returning to the other end of the side walk.

Nott waited, watching it work for another minute before he once again, stretched out his leg and kicked a little more snow on the sidewalk. This time the pause was longer, but once again the broom hovered down the clean sidewalk to the smattering of snow and brushed it back to the bank. Not able to contain a rather large smirk, Nott jumped into the snow bank just as the broom turned back and began kicking snow all over the sidewalk. In an instant the broom spun and flew at him, bristles first, waving back and forth wildly. Nott shrieked with joyous laughter as he ran recklessly through the streets, the fitful broom close on his tail.

He slid around corners and dashed through crowds, the broom knocking everyone but its intended target. Nott was having a right fine time but was starting to get a bit winded. To his left someone was exiting a building and Nott dashed inside and slammed the door. Behind him the broom banged and swiped at the door. Nott turned, laughing, quite proud of himself.

((Exit to Christmas Dinner, I've reposted this there as well))  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:17 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

He looked up when he saw a boy running past and then stood, the cat's box under his arm. he slowly swayed as he got up, his nose freezing and the tears that had escaped his eyes turned to ice. He coughed a little, sniffled and plucked up the collar of his coat to shield himself from the wind. He wandered around outside and then decided to bring his precious cargo back into his shop. He looked at the door of the Post Office, paused and then looked down. He raised a very cold and blue-ish hand then turned the handle to enter the Post office.

Cauldron Minty - Owner of Hogsmeade Post Office  

Alex Teaflower

3,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

XThe Lily Of The ValleyX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:06 pm
Francine walked out from the Hogsmeade Dinner, holding her Potions book closer to her as she walked through the cold. "Brrr...it's freezing." Taking a glance towards the Post Office, she murmured, "He left early...perhaps he's asleep." The shops seemed to all be closed, either the inhabitants turning in early or off to the Hogsmeade Dinner. Francine was feeling a little bit weary herself. For less than three minutes, she was inside her door and placed her books down and got Scraps on a leash before walking around the streets of Hogsmeade. "It's alright, Scraps, you won't have to walk around in the cold for very long." After a brief walk, she took her small dog back inside the store.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:26 pm
Francine moved through the street quickly, placing cards and small bags of candy on the shop doors. Some of the shopkeepers she didn't know particularly well, usually because they were new. However, there were a few sweets, such as Bernie Botts Every Flavor Beans, that usually pleased the majority of people. Most of the lights were off, since most of them were at the dinnner. "The dinner must be ending soon." She murmured, walking over to Cauldron Minty's post shop. "He might still be up. I'll go deliver it to him." As a last thought, she included a small stuffed mouse for the cat had mentioned he had. She entered the Post Office.  

XThe Lily Of The ValleyX

Mellow Magpie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:39 pm
User Image
User Image
Charlotte ❖ Victus ❖ Claremont❖
User Image

Charlotte almost groaned as she stepped out from the warmth of the party. She shivered as light of sun fought to remain in the twilight sky glimmered against the snow on the curb. Squinting in the light she watched as a few wagon's and carriages trotted up and down the street. For a moment she wondered if Nott would drive by, but then reasoned that he probably could have driven in another direction. Shivering again, she longing though back to the now empty mug at the table, Man, what I would give for some warm butterbeer.

As she and her Aunt set off down the street, her eyes wondered along Hollyhog row. The slanted roof tops, the chimney's popping out dark smoke made her feel as if she was in a Medieval Era Fair. Except she knew that in morning it would still be here and that she would be walking this street again. I wonder...if I ever get use to all this, she thought as pulled up her scarf up over her nose again. All the cloaks, weird hats, medieval streets, monsters, and spells. Will the 'muggle' world stop being normal? I'm almost to afraid to think about it.

Clenching her cloak close to her, she almost jumped with joy when she saw the sign. Before assuring herself, she thought of a question she wanted to ask, who was reaching out to open the door, "Auntie what is for dinner? I hope it wasn't those cookies."

Her aunt chuckled as she opened the door let a blast of warm air out to greet them, "No, I do believe I shall be warming up the Pea soup for dinner."

"Great, can't wait," Charlotte said with false cheer as she walked in after her Aunt while thinking. If there is one thing I will never get use to is that soup...and strangely enough that is reassuring.

User Image
Future First Year
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:43 pm
~~Nottingham McNair~~

User ImageNight was coming on fast and he preferred not to drive in the cold, snow AND dark. But it appeared that he wouldn't have much choice. His father was slumbering in the back, apparently sleeping off whatever he had drunk. Nott laid an old mothy blanket over him and made sure that he was secure before he climbed back into the driver's seat.

Lotharia had been napping, but her shaggy head raised as Nott lifted the reins. Slowly they set off out of town. Topping the hill outside of town was the worst, the wind was howling rather hard there and even little Lotharia was having trouble. Nott got out and led her, using his body to block some of the wind and snow from stinging her in the face. But once they reached the other side, the weather seemed to lighten significantly. Nott was able to ride in the cart the rest of the way and within a half an hour, he was putting Lotharia into her warm stall in their stable at home and helping his father inside.

His mother met him at the door, her eyes holding the same resigned and worried emotion that they always did when she had to care for his father like this. Nott helped her get him into bed where he could rest comfortably before they went downstairs. Cherry, their house elf, was pouring tea just as they arrived back in the downstairs sitting room.

"I hope that your father got the shipping on all of the packages right." Euchadessa sighed as she collapsed gracefully into a chair. Quickly attended to by Cherry.

"I did. And Mr. Minty gave you a discount. Rather sizable one." He retrieved his father's coin purse from his pocket and set it on the table. As he sat in the chair next to hers.

"Well where was your father?"

"..He was asleep in the back of the wagon. I really don't think he drank that much though. He didn't seem to badly off when I collected him."

Euchadessa's face curled into a sad smile, a lone tear sparkling in the corner of her brown eyes as she reached out to stroke her son's cheek dotingly.
"Such a good son. How did I get so lucky?"

Nott preened. "How indeed? Perhaps you brewed up a special potion that guarantees excellence. You drank it and were rewarded with me. Total perfection."

She laughed lightly.
"Perhaps." Cherry slipped a cup and saucer into her hand, nudging her to drink. Of all of the members of the family, Cherry loved Euchadessa most dearly. The elf was never out of her mistresses sight for long and seemed to worry for her endlessly. His mother indulged the elf by taking a long sip and sighing contentedly. Cherry poofed away with a smile and she set the cup down and turned back to Nott. "Did you get to spend much time in town? Shop at all?"

Nott shook his head. "No shopping today. But I did get to attend a holiday dinner."

"Oh? How did that happen?"

Nott explained, though leaving out the part with the broom and adding a more innocent way to stumble into a strange building.

"Ah Fenniwick. That man has a story for each hair on his head, and a few for the ones on his toes too. Constant jabberer. But very nice. It was sweet of him to invite you to dinner, I hoped you thanked him."

Nott paused for a moment and took a sip of tea. "You know, actually I can't remember if I did or not. But he did invite me to stop by his flat soon and have a look at his trinkets. I'll thank him then."

"Well you should send him an owl, who knows when you'll be back in town."

"Actually," Nott began slyly. "aren't you due to have your hair done soon? I thought I could go in with you then."

Euchadessa stared quizzically at her son as she self-consciously ran her hand up to her hair. She was young enough that she still retained her beauty but the signs of age were beginning. Fine lines and random gray hairs were frightening things to her. However she wasn't above a little magical help to easy such signs. Plus it was the one way that she really pampered herself with the money from her business. But still, her son's sudden interest in her appearance was suspicious. Her eyes narrowed playful at him.

"That anxious to get back to see Fenniwick, are we?"

"Well, actually, I sort of met someone. A soon to be classmate I mean. I just thought it would be nice to get to know her."

"Her?" She prompted.

Nott became somewhat defensive. "Yes, her. Charlotte is staying with her aunt who owns the beauty parlor."

"Ooooooh." His mother laughed as she realized why he was so concerned with her hair.

"No no. We are just ... I don't know. Acquaintances. We talked. She's nice. I promised I drop off some books. That is all."

Euchadessa only smiled playfully as she nodded behind her tea cup. Nott grumbled in silence which was soon forgotten as Cherry came into the room, singing and bearing a tray of cherry-almond scones.

Three days later, Nott was driving into town again. Lotharia was once again in the traces. Nott had begged his mother to take Tarabian or Thorog, but she insisted that Lotharia was the best at waiting quietly for long periods of time. Which was just what they needed while she was in the shop. Regardless, Nott did enjoy the drive in, the weather being somewhat improved over his last trip. They would have rode horses into town, but his mother had a few more parcels to mail and had made a cake to deliver to Fenniwick, so a wagon was necessary.

They chatted animatedly on the drive in and his mother was kind enough to not bring up her hair dressers niece again. But he knew that she was dying to tease him some more. Either way, they were soon rolling into Hogsmeade and pulling little Lotharia to a halt in the street in front of Soliel. Giving the old girl a treat and grabbing his bag from the wagon, he held the door so his mother could enter the salon in front of him.

Garden of Wisteria

Garden of Wisteria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:46 pm
~~Nottingham McNair~~

User ImageNott straightened up and raised his eyebrow as if he were deeply offended. But the far corner of his mouth curled. He 'hmph'ed and turned back to walking without comment. As long as he could remember, friend's and neighbor's little girls always had crushes on him. Any girl his age was always giggling and flirting with him. Thinking back now, he realized that Charlotte had never done any of that.

It was nice to finally have a friend that was a girl that just seemed to enjoy his company. However he couldn't help but feel somewhat challenged. She doesn't think I'm attractive? He glanced at his reflection in a shop window as they walked by. I look good! He glanced sideways at Charlotte. She appeared to be totally unconcerned with him. It was both comforting and disconcerting.

But he didn't have much time to dwell on it, as they had soon arrived at Fenniwick's shop. The old man lived in a modest house just up a small alley behind Honeydukes. "We're here."

Nott reached out and rang the bellpull as stomped his feet, bouncing lightly. The cold wind was starting to set in on him and he wished now that he had worn warmer socks. But they didn't have long to wait before the door was opened by Fenniwick himself.

"Nott? Lovely to see you, dear boy. And brought a friend have you?"

"Yes Uncle. This is Charlotte Claremont. She will be starting Hogwarts with me this fall. I asked her to come along with me today to see if we might be able to visit with you for a while. Perhaps you could show us some of your finds?"

"Of course, of course. Oh come in, this wind is frigid."

Fenniwick ushered them in to the warm parlor. Reaching out he took Nott's robe before turning back to Charlotte. With a genuine smile he reached out his hand. "Lovely to meet you, young Charlotte. Here let me take your robe for you. You two must be terribly cold."

Reaching into his pocket he extracted a very light colored wand with curious carvings all around it. With a quick wave the fire in the hearth jumped higher and the warmth was soon radiating through the room. Another wave of the wand sent the robes out of the room to a hook in the hallway closet and a third drew some chairs around a lovely old ornate table.

Nott watched in fascination and then remembered the parcel that he was carrying. "This is for you, sir. For inviting me to dinner the other day."

"Oh you shouldn't have. Oh my, rum raisin, perhaps you should have. This is one of my favorites. Thank you very much, Nottingham." He set the unwrapped package on the table just as a tray floated into the room from the kitchen loaded with tea service as well as plates and flatware. "Tea for either of you?"

Nott raised his hands. "None for me. I've had plenty today." He glanced over to Charlotte with a grin. Old Fenniwick was a sweet man and clearly a talented wizard, but Nott was having trouble restraining himself from asking about the trunk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 pm
User Image
User Image
Charlotte Victus Claremont❖
User Image

Charlotte blinked as Nott set off down the alley. She was expected a store front or one of the homes that dotted the streets of Hogsmeade. The side alley entrance was a new thing, her response to meeting the owner of the side alley home was not. Feeling the same gratitude for her always did for her dark skin and her none visible blush. Walking in after Nott she tried to settle, but there was no way she could feel comfortable in the strange home. I need to get better at meeting people, she thought as she handed over her cloak and scarf muttering, "Thank you and it is very nice to meet you as well...

In quiet she followed the wand movement with her eyes, watching the fire come to life, the winter wear fly off, and the chairs pull out, but instead of the warm feel of amazement she normal got around magic. She felt dread slip under skin, like the cold wind from the alley. She listened dimly as she Nott offered the cake to Mr. Fenniwick and Mr. Fenniwick's acceptence, but they really didn't register.

Charlotte's mind was wrapped around the uneasy feeling that in this house might be an item which could add or take away her magical gift. Her logical side argued that it couldn't be true, but for some reason logic wasn't working for her. I don't even kn- her thought were cut off with the offer of tea. When Nott decline, she felt her first true smile appear as she remembered his tea incident. Still smiling, she said, "I would love some thank you."

User Image
Future First Year
User Image

Mellow Magpie

Garden of Wisteria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:07 pm
~~Nottingham McNair~~

User ImageFenniwick poured Charlotte a cup of tea and turned back to the cake. Picking up the serving knife and spent a moment eyeing the treat before deciding just where he wanted to cut it. As the silver knife just split the surface of the cake, the beautiful trill of songbirds echoed up and four doves flew up out of the cake. Fenniwick started slightly and then quickly recovered to chuckling as he finished slicing and laid a piece of cake on a plate which he handed to Charlotte.

"Very interesting. You mother is quite a baker."

"Actually, our house elf, Cherry, gets all of the credit. She doesn't allow anyone to cook. She loves to hear my mother praise her for all of her work." Nott said as he accepted his own plate.

"Well feel free to pass on some praise from myself as well." Fenniwick said through crumbs as he took a rather large first bite. Nott decided that he would forget about that, Cherry was too proud of herself as it was. Any more praise and she was sure to swell up and burst. "Excellent, very tasty."

"So," Nott began casually. "you were telling me about what you brought back after your last trip. Have you had any more luck with the chest?"

"Ah yes, the chest." Looking back to Charlotte he decided to fill her in on what he had already told Nott. "The chest was a wizard family heirloom that had been passed down for generations. It was always kept but usually kept away. According to family legend the chest is cursed. Apparently one of the ancestors of their linage found the chest. He had it moved back to his estate and he began investigating it."

"The old house where they had found it had been found vacant. No sign of where the previous owners had gone. One day, the man's daughter went upstairs to fetch him from his study and he was gone. But the edge of his cloak was showing from the chest. When they opened it they found only the cloak, but they always believed that something more sinister had happened."

Looking back at Nott now, the old man sighed. "I admit, I'm a little nervous to begin fiddling with it. Your father is anxious to have a look at it, but I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's misfortune either. "

"I'll take a look at it!" Nott piped up quickly.

Fenniwick chuckled.
"I appreciate your enthusiasm. But I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for the loss of a strapping young man like yourself. I'll show it to you, but I don't want you touching it. We don't know the full nature of it yet, so I'm not taking any chances."

Nott deflated slightly. He wasn't afraid, but the fact that everyone else was made him want to discover its secrets even more. At times like this it was easy to understand his father's obsession with studying and repairing enchanted objects.

But Fenniwick's eyes were resting on Charlotte.
"Something bothering you, my dear? You seem worried about something. I hope I haven't upset you."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:47 pm

User Image

User Image
User Image

Why would a chest have a robes of a man who has disappeared? Well, isn't that what is it meant to do, be the keeper of it's masters item, right? What if it is keeper of it's master as well, like it can absorb the master or something...that sounds rather ridiculous...Or does it? Charlotte thought her mind playing over the information. If items can grant powers of magic, why couldn't it absorb or hold a human in it, she reasoned. She took a sip of her tea, her mind happily playing with ideas. Mysteries were her favorite things and was just what she need to distract her.

Still sipping her tea, she glanced up upon hearing Mr. Fenniwick's question. For a moment she simply blinked and then the worry came back. Along with the drive to know, it was something her mother and her father had always told her. Get all the facts before jumping to conclusions and there is no better person to ask about such things than the man before me, she thought looking up her cup.

"Um...well no, it is nothing on your part. I assure you. However, um...it is...I'm wondering if enchanted antiques...If it was possible for them to give magical abilities to its owner. That's all," she said hoping her voice didn't betray her worry. Though the slight tremble in her hand, could be a dead give away.

User Image
Future First Year
User Image

Mellow Magpie

Garden of Wisteria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:19 pm
~~Nottingham McNair~~

User ImageNott's eyebrows twisted as he listened to Charlotte. Why would she want magical ability? She already had those abilities and was very skilled. However she also didn't think that he was attractive, so Nott decided that she was a complete mystery to him and just decided to see what Fenniwick had to say.

The old man was quite pleased with her question it seemed. He smiled eagerly and clapped his hands together, rubbing them vigorously.
"A very good question. And the answer is, no. No item has ever been found to give magical abilities to those without. Many Squibs and their parents have searched and searched but nothing has ever been done to give these people, let alone an ordinary Muggle, magical ability."

"However," he continued. "there have been some rare instances of magical ability being imbued but I've never heard of it done with a Muggle. Of course I'm thinking of the former Dark Lord Voldemort. When he split his soul at each instance, the items that he used as Horcruxes gained magical ability. Now I trust that if you children don't know the story from your parents, then you will be learning it in school. The question that many scholars often puzzle over is, what sort of wizard would Harry Potter have turned out to be withstanding the unfortunate encounter with the Dark Lord as a baby? However, the powers that were bestowed upon all of the Horcruxes were not purely belonging to the item, but always had a connection to the Dark Lord. So one might say that he only spread out his power."

"Withstanding that one example, no. And I've definitely never heard of any item that can grant magic to those that are not born with it." He looked for a moment longer at her. "Nor have I ever heard of anything that can remove one's magical gift. Magic is part of who we are, what we are born with is what we have. Just as someone who has green eyes will have them all their life, the presence or absense as well as amount of magic in one's being, cannot be truely affected. Some things exist that can help enhance or damper it, but the true nature is unchanged."

Nott felt like this conversation was quite serious. A short silence seemed to resond in the room. But Fenniwick soon clapped his hands together. "Ah yes, on a lighter note, I think you will both enjoy this. Just a moment."

He was up and out of the room in his anxious, animated way. Nott took another bite of cake before mumbling. "I don't think it would hurt to let me have a look at that trunk. I'm sure I could get away before it ate me. And if I was in doubt I could just fill it with tea until it spit me out."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 pm

User Image

User Image
User Image

Charlotte was sure that she would cry. She was also sure that Mr. Fenniwick had seen through her, but at the moment she didn't care. At the moment she was more on the verge of cry with relief because what she had done in the parlor of her Aunts apartment had been her. It hadn't been the Claremont pin, she wore. It wasn't do to the very old wand she had in the pocket of her cloak. It was hers. Naturally mine, she thought sipping some tea with a watery smile.

In the silence she regained herself and took a deep breath. Taking in the smell of the tea and the rum cake before. Calmed by the fact that the world she was currently in was going to be her own. Is mine really. I mean...yeah, I already know what I mean. Geez, this is make my mind-

She glanced over at Nott working a raised an eyebrow while her mouth fought to refrain from smiling. Pressing her lips together she said, "Considering your current record with the spell, you are likely to destroy the chest. So instead I suggest you insult it. It will spit you right out. Or better yet, just talk to it...Works even better. "

Done, she turned back to her tea and sipped it in a slightly haughty air, but she couldn't hold the air. Turning to him with a true smile she said, "More importantly though...are you sure if I eat this cake I won't get feathers...I mean birds came out of it. I'd rather not have feather stuck in my teeth."

User Image
Future First Year
User Image

Mellow Magpie

Garden of Wisteria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:42 pm
~~Nottingham McNair~~

User ImageNott smiled wickedly. "Oh no, you would never get me back then. If I turned on the charm then it would have to keep me. I'm totally irresistable." Except to you. The thought still rankled Nott, but his confidence was still able to buoy above it. Barely.

Nottingham snickered at the image of Charlotte getting feathers stuck in her teeth. "It's just an enchantment. No actual birds were baked into this cake. However I would find it loads more interesting if you would turn into a bird from eating this cake. I would greatly enjoy harassing the Charlotte-pigeon, even make you peck out a message on the ground of my greatness before I transformed you back."

Fenniwick swept back into the room carrying a small box about six inches wide and long and less than a foot high. He set it over on the table and removed the cover.
"These were all the rage when I was a boy. Gingus Rewsnout invented it back in...oh I don't even like to think how many years ago. Nott, I wonder if you have one of these in your house, since your father works on such things?"

Nott looked over the strange little machine that was uncovered. The bottom was a beveled low box and it rose up in the center with a small opening underneath a larger metal ring that was supported by copper arms up in the air above it.

"Is that an Ebullocutur?" He asked with a twist to his brows.

"Yes! Yes it is indeed. Does your father have one around the house?"

"No. I remember that he repaired one once for Mrs. Dippet. But-"

"Euphenginia Dippit?"

"Yes."

"Very good, I know her well. Though we haven't spoken in some time. But we are about to remedy that." He finished with a slight waggle to his eyebrows. From a small drawer in the lower portion of the box he produced a tiny set of bellows that he afixed to a nozzle near the base. With a wave of his wand the bellows started a steady pumping and a whirring and popping began from the tiny object. Small bubbles like suds started foaming up through the hole at the summit until a large glossy bubble erupted and drifted up to the copper ring where it was held in place.

"Euphenginia Dippit." spoke Fenniwick in a clear voice. There was a moment where the bubble went hazy and then as it cleared a kitchen could be seen through it. A few plants in a window box behind the sink and a variety of colored bottles sitting on the sill. "Euphie! Euphie, are you there?" Fenniwick very nearly yelled.

Then there was a rustling and a faint voice calling out.
"Coming." Then a small, wiry old witch walked into the viewed area of the kitchen peering out at them. "Who is this?" Her voice sounded like it was coming from underwater but it was easy enough to understand her.

"Phineaus Fenniwick, Euphie."

"Fenniwick? Haven't talked to you in years. What is the meaning of this? Nothing the matter I trust?"

"No, no my dear lady. I just acquired an old Ebullocutor and wanted to show my nephew and his friend how it worked."

"Blasted contraptions, the lot of them. But the only way I seem to get to talk to my granddaughter Cassandra. Allergic to owls, you know. But Fenniwick, I was just getting some work accomplished in the garden, I'm afraid I have to get back to it."

"Not to worry my dear. Sorry to bother." The old witch disappeared from view and the bubble went hazy again. Fenniwick leaned back with a smile as Nott leaned closer.

"Wow." But his breath was a little too close to the bubble and it burst.

"One of the biggest reasons why it never caught on. Bubbles are always bursting for the slightest reasons and you have to repeat the process over and over again. It just didn't seem worth the trouble. Talking mirrors work much better and eliminate the problem."

Nott didn't care. He thought that it was brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 pm

User Image

User Image
User Image

Charlotte rolled her eyes as her smile strengthened. She was sure that there were some girls around the town, okay and probably a majority that thought of Nott like that. She personally would throw her wand into a fire before admit to him that found him just as attractive as those girls probably did, however the big difference between her way of thinking and theirs. Was that Nott was just a friend. Still she didn't say any of this, since it wouldn't help bust up his ego. Instead her replied calmly as she began to sip her tea, "If I were to turn into a pigeon. I would peck those attractive eyes of the great Nuttingham, out. Then go fly off to find a proper, intelligent, noble wizard boy who would turn me back and whisk me off to a wonderful life."

She sipped her tea after that comment with a sly smirk, that turned to a curious frown as Mr. Fenniwick came back with a box. Watching with a mixture of curiosity, wonder, and caution, opening her mouth she began to ask, "What is-?"

Her question died out as Mr. Fenniwick went to work. For a brief moment she wanted to ask what spell allowed the bellows to keep moving, but the whirling and the popping drowned the question out. Then the bubbles started to come out, making Charlotte lean back a bit unsure what would happen if they popped close to her. She watched one near her, but then turned her attention away when Mr. Fenniwick started speaking. Sadly his words didn't dampen her confusion so much as increase them.

"Wow," Charlotte breathed as Mr. Fenniwick began to speak into the large bubble that had formed at the top. She watched and listened fascinated, her mind buzz with all the spells that could make it. All the the possibilities that it provided, but just as an idea dawned on her. Mr. Fenniwick ended the message.

She opened her mouth to speak her idea, when Nott proved her idea to be true. Bubbles made for bad conversation holders. Though I have to admit. If it was a choose between suffering through allegories to send a message or deal with magically bumping a bellows, she thought as out loud she said, "Nott, you should get one...the distortion to your face might improve your current girl troubles."

User Image
Future First Year
User Image

Mellow Magpie

Garden of Wisteria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 am
~~Nottingham McNair~~

User ImageFenniwick chuckled at Charlotte's barb while Nott feigned being mortally wounded. Groaning, he turned to the side, melodramatically contorting his face.

"Help Uncle! A sure shot to my heart."

Fenniwick just raised his hands in futility.
"Nothing I can do to help. You had better be careful around her Nott. A sharp tongue is almost always shared by a quick mind. A enviable combination and good friend to have. I wouldn't want to make an enemy of this young lady." he said, winking at Charlotte.

Nott sighed, "I can't help it if my natural charisma brings this out in her. But...I suppose I can try to reel it in. However, you could help assuage my pain by showing us the chest?" Nott asked hopefully.

"Ahh, you don't give up, do you? Well come along." Fenniwick sighed as he stood from the table and led them from the room.

Nott anxiously jumped up from the table, looking over to Charlotte. "Coming? Not afraid, are you Lottie?" His smile waggled challengingly before he zipped along to follow behind the old man.

Fenniwick led them through many rooms which were stuffed to the gills with items that drew the eye and the curiosity. Occasionally he would gesture to something and throw its name out or pause for a moment and explain what it did. One thing that he did stop to show them was an invisibility cloak. It was very old and almost completely visible again, but as he said, it was a collector's item. Many of the names that he used as he pointed to random items were foreign to Nott, but as much as he would have enjoyed spending the day in this house, discovering everything that the man had here, he wanted to get to the chest.

Finally they approached a closed door. Fenniwick extracted a key from his pocket and unlocked the door. With a wave of his wand, the lantern in the room flickered to life. Nott and his family had many chests throughout their house. Usually they were about three feet long, a foot and a half wide and two feet high. The largest one in their house was about four feet long and deep and three feet high. Eight of those could have easily fit into this one. Nott stared up as the top was easily two feet over his head. It was ornate, carvings of medieval scenes decorated the front and sides and a ladder was built into one side of it. Apparently the chest opened from the side that you climbed up to. The wood that it was made of was dark and the figures carved into the side were even more so. Nott trembled slightly but in as much anticipation as fear. This thing was enchanted, no doubt about it. Just being in the same room with it sent shivers through him. Whoever made this was a very powerful wizard, he could feel it.

But the question was, what was it intended to do?

"Can I look inside?" Nott's hands were itching with the urge to explore this ancient thing.

Fenniwick gave him a harsh stare.
"One moment, let me open it first." The old man climbed the ladder slowly and grasped the large dark metal handle and pushed upward. For as large as the lid was, it opened easily. Once he pushed it up, the lid stayed open like a large gaping mouth as the old man peered down into the depths.

"Lumos." His wand radiated light from its tip which he shined all around the large space. "Alright. You can come up and have a look in."

Fenniwick climbed down and Nott was already at the base of the ladder and he was up to the top in a flash. The older man handed his lit wand up and Nott shone it around the empty space below. There was something eerie about how empty and large it was. Although there was nothing outwardly threatening, something felt wrong. It was a deep sense within him that felt this. This wasn't right, there was more to this huge chest than what they were seeing. Nott would have given his eye teeth to play around with it and find out just what it was doing to people, but he knew that he wouldn't be allowed. Holding on the edge of the opening and shifting his body to the side he looked down, "Coming up, Lottie?"

Hogsmeade

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 55 56 57 58 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff