Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Obsessed with numbers

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:16 pm
During dieting and trying to lose weight, do you guys find yourselves obsessively weighing yourselves or even thinking about it? I find myself always thinking of what to eat and how to make the portions smaller and healthier. It's like weightloss and food are always on my mind. I even find myself weighing multiple times a day. Usually, I just weigh myself once a week, but sometimes I get pretty obsessive about it too.

This isn't unhealthy, is it? I don't really think it is because it's not causing me to want to starve myself or anything drastic like that. I'm still losing weight at a slow and steady pace. I'm actually losing weight very slowly.....nearly 3 months almost and lost 17 pounds. So I'd say that's pretty healthy.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:38 pm
It's only unhealthy if it's paired with disordered eating habits or if it gives you a negative mindset.  

pigeonsoup

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:34 am
Revamping recipes to see how much fat I can omit and how far I can reduce the calories has become a game for me. And yes, when I'm on track, I definitely find myself thinking a lot about "should I eat this or that?" and how many points I'm comfortable spending for a meal, etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with spending time, even a lot of time, thinking about your diet and exercise. It's a labor-intensive process and requires a lot of planning which, if you're doing it right, is going to require a lot of thought.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:41 pm
I'm a little nervous about it. While weighing yourself multiple times a day isn't hurting you now, it has definitely set you down the road to possible having an eating disorder.

Try and limit yourself to only weighing in once a day. Your weight fluctuates by at least 2lbs or more a day so any more then once a day is setting you up for disappointment.  

Soi Tsuba

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:47 am
I know, my weight fluctuates all the time. Weighing myself doesnt put me in a bad place or cause me to have disordered eating habits or anything. Sometimes I get obsessive about weighing myself, but usually it's just once a week. What I meant was is I'm always thinking about my weight and foods I can eat as opposed to foods I should eat. I'm just happy my weight is going down. Even if I can lose 30 lbs, that would put me at 150, I'll be happy because I'll be in the "normal" part of the BMI. But ultimately I want to get down to 130.

Also, I don't think I would ever have an eating disorder or be on the path of one just 'cause I weigh myself excessively. I know I'm a little overweight but I don't think it's too bad. I don't think I look horrible or anything. I'm glad I can still fit in my high school jeans size 14 and I wear a shirt size of adult M. Besides, Matthew and I love to cook. We love cooking new things together and experiencing new foods. So honestly, I don't think I would ever go down the eating disorder path because I love food too much (that is to say however, I love healthy food, I hate greasy fast food crap.......especially Kentucky fried CRUELTY, I guess abused chickens taste good to them........I swear, they'll never get a dollar out of me. It's not just KFC, it's most fast food and meat industries).  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:52 am
I think you're loosing at a really good rate. That's about what I did after high school. 20lbs in about 3 months. But I wasn't weighing myself at all. I was just attempting to live healthier.

Looking at your numbers can be really helpful in weight loss to see that you are indeed making progress. But being obsessed with a specific number can generally be bad. Because you don't really account for how much the muscle you gained weighs. So like I only lost 30lbs in total since high school, but I looked like I weigh half what I use to. Cause I probably gained 10lbs of muscle.

Also, water retention can make the number a lot higher, but it's healthy to have some water retention.

A compromise might be to start measuring yourself. Or I like to put on old pairs of pants and look at how massive they are on me. xd I actually keep a pair just for that ninja

I do have an obsession with 1 number. 130. It was my goal in HS. I made it to 135 and plateud there and decided that I could stand to loose another 5lbs but for a long time I didn't. I think it was after I got dumped I found the motivation and I've been under 130 since. But then I went so long without weighing myself that 7lbs crept up on me! Being a lil bit MORE obsessed might have helped me catch it sooner. I guess I just got comfortable, it seemed like I could eat just about anything and keep my weight but I'm a lot less active than I was in the summer and it caught up faster than I thought.

So now I'm trying to find any kind of activity and I'm laying off the junk a lot. (not completely, just filling up on the good stuff so I only have like, one desert lol)  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:03 am
Yea I agree, being obsessed with one number can het pretty frustrating, so I have set many short term goal weights.

Hehe, it's 8:00am and school starts in 30....and I'm still on my bed in my pj's......I lost track of time crying  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games