Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Veganism on Electronics?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:03 am
Currently I have an Ipod touch, and while I <3 it, i hate hate hate carrying around sooo many devices(well its only 2 but still. =,=)

Anyway, I was thinking of getting an android phone with virgin mobile.

BUT I dunno what all the vegan friendly apps look like on these things. If someone has an android phone, could you recommend vegan friendly apps(such as restaurant locaters, animal ingredient lists, or something very similar to iVegan. smile

thanks in advance!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:48 am
I don't have an android but a friend at school does, she said there's really not whole lot of apps for the android compared to iPhone/iPod touch apps  

Peppermint Cherry

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:21 am
I wonder...what is the gadget made out of?

I know that old film camera's, the film has gelatin in it... I wouldn't be suprised if what we used today digitally wasn't all that animal-free...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:56 am
I know theres a ton of apps, but Im asking about vegan ones specifically. ;_;

As for them being cruelty free, nothing is cruelty free, not even our computers. The trade of harvesting the materials for our electronics is just as bad as that of the blood diamonds... Which is why one should opt to buy used of anything we need(even clothing). Not everyone wil,l granted, and even if the materials for digital cameras are not vegan, they last much longer and can be used many more times than that of a single roll of gelatin film which makes them more vegan friendly than that of the older cameras.
As for veganism in general, its about doing as much as possible, logically. The blacktop roads are not vegan, yet I drive to get to work and college on them. Its about doing as much as possible. wink  

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 pm
Yeah, I quit sweating over the little things. I just don't eat it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:20 pm
I dunno about the android since I have an iphone. And right now, I have like...5 vegan apps that I downloaded for free. I saw more that you had to buy, but I dont buy apps.

Vegweb finally has an app, but you have to buy it which I think is silly considering you can view the website on safari.  

Kayei

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:03 am
Well I ended up buying the android phone, and lets just say it's awesome(planning to sell ipod now).
Every few weeks a new vegan app is added, which is awesome! smile
I guess we could make a vegan(and a seperate vegetarian) app guidebook for the guild?  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games