Submit

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:38 pm
Yay, another topic~! For the record, and for anyone who cares, I'm Catholic. I go to a Catholic church, and I read a Catholic Bible. As some of you may or may not know, the Catholic Bible has some extra books (five I think ... confused ). I never really understood why they weren't in every version of the Bible and what all the big deal is. And since I'm too lazy to do my own research (at the moment), I'll leave it up to anyone who cares to answer my question. Readysetgo.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:34 am
There are a few reasons that I know of why they are not included in every edition. First, Jesus said that all the Bible was about him, and those books have no prophecies, no mentions, and no geneology of the coming Messiah whatsoever. Second, some of the books (like Maccabies) cannot be proven by scholars as actually happening. Most agree that it may have happened that way and that it is a good story, but overall (I would believe it's true if I believed it was actually inspired) the story doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the flow of the Bible and seems out of place. And lastly, a few passages of these books have been used to support "strange" beliefs in the Catholic Church (some of the ones that you've said you don't quite agree with) and have been kept so that these beliefs may remain in the Cathecism.

That's all I've got, I'm sure there's more though.  

immanuelkant

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:47 pm
One other thing I forgot to mention, in the Gospels, Jesus quotes from all of the books of the Bible or refers to them in some way except for those in the Apocrypha (the added books you are talking about). If this is any indication that God does not view them as inspired by him... then it is a great one. The very words of Jesus never (as far as we know) included the words of those books.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:14 pm
dose it have the book of enoch?  

knivesl

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:13 pm
These are the books of the Apocrypha as they appear in the Catholic Bible (dispersed throughout):

Tobit and Judith (between Nehemiah and Esther)
Wisdom and Sirach (between Song of Solomon and Isaiah)
Baruch (between Lamentations and Ezekiel)
1st and 2nd Maccabees (after Malachi)

I've never heard of the book of Enoch... but I would assume since it is neither in the Catholic nor Protestant Bible that it is not inspired scripture.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:36 pm
well i study all sorts of books and the book of enoch is still on my sceptics list... it is suppousodly written by the prophet enoch who is mentioned in the scripture however it is in a prophetic vision of as far as i can gather before the flood where the fallen angels came and soght human wives and started a race of giants and that is supposidly where giants such as goliath came from im not sure if id agree with all this though so i dont know but there are other people who are very strong in their walk with christ that do believe it however im not sure i study and pray about it

i would suggest doing a google or yahoo search for the book of enoch and read some of it yourself to see what i mean but look at it with a sceptical mind and dont take to much truth from it until you have studied it enough

edit: they say they didnt put it in the later versions because it is to hard to concieve and understand  

knivesl

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:22 pm
I'll have to check my Bible later and see if it's in there. The name does sound very familiar though, so it's likely that that's one of them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:42 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
I'll have to check my Bible later and see if it's in there. The name does sound very familiar though, so it's likely that that's one of them.

The names sounds familiar because Enoch was both a prophet and a son of Jacob (two different guys). But I can assure that it is not in your Bible because it was not even included in early Hebrew scripture.  

immanuelkant

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:51 am
knivesl
well i study all sorts of books and the book of enoch is still on my sceptics list... it is suppousodly written by the prophet enoch who is mentioned in the scripture however it is in a prophetic vision of as far as i can gather before the flood where the fallen angels came and soght human wives and started a race of giants and that is supposidly where giants such as goliath came from im not sure if id agree with all this though so i dont know but there are other people who are very strong in their walk with christ that do believe it however im not sure i study and pray about it

i would suggest doing a google or yahoo search for the book of enoch and read some of it yourself to see what i mean but look at it with a sceptical mind and dont take to much truth from it until you have studied it enough

edit: they say they didnt put it in the later versions because it is to hard to concieve and understand

I looked it up a little bit and here's what I found, and the website siting that I found it on.

http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/deadsea.scrolls.exhibit/Library/enoch.html

The Book of Enoch is said to be originally in Aramaic. This is the first clue to it not being inspired, as the entire Old Testament (except for very small parts of Daniel and the Minor Prophets) are in Hebrew. This book was also not included in the original Hebrew Canon of scripture. This is the second clue, the early Hebrew temple leaders didn't view it as inspired scripture. Also, the Book of Enoch was never translated into greek with the rest of the Hebrew Old Testament. Even the Apocrypha was. Another startling thing to me is that the original book itself was lost and only a partial greek translation was found. Some of the early Aramaic was later discovered, but that is beside the point to me. God does not let his scripture die out and fall away. He has secured all of the inspired works (including possibly the Apocrypha) through all the ages, including many original works that have now been found and that validate the current translations. And finally, the translation itself has been put together and "assumed" for the most part. If you notice, wherever scholars put [ ] they mean that they don't have a clear or even any translation possibly to be able to accurately put this passage into words. And many of the "angels marrying women and making giants" part is in [ ]. Not only that, but what translation they do have is very short and not complete. To my knowledge, Moses was the only prophet God chose to speak about the Creation-Fall-Flood period. I wouldn't trust this book at all. But I encourage you all to look it up for yourself and decide on your own.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:54 am
O.o the book of Enoch is rather interesting and for those not firmly in Christ Jesus take note that this is not in the bible for a reason. As Chris has already stated verious reasons for why it is not an inspired word of God. It's fun as I was reading I felt convicted for doing so... Anyways, If you do end up reading the book remember to let the Holy Spirit Guide you to all truths.  

Pastor Danielle

knivesl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:39 pm
Danielle~SOC
O.o the book of Enoch is rather interesting and for those not firmly in Christ Jesus take note that this is not in the bible for a reason. As Chris has already stated verious reasons for why it is not an inspired word of God. It's fun as I was reading I felt convicted for doing so... Anyways, If you do end up reading the book remember to let the Holy Spirit Guide you to all truths.

i agree wholely that it can be read as a book inspired by God but that dosnt mean it is or isnt however when i read it i too felt like there was somthing wrong and i really feel that it is a book that could do more damage then good to Gods people if it is read in the wrong state of mind because the first time i started reading it i was reading as if it were part of Gods word and it started to mess with my mind pretty badly..

But this also makes me think about this man that i know who claims he is a prophet/seer who claims that he believes every word that the book of enoch says and somtimes i get that feeling that he a false prophet but i cant judge him... he met me and he knew a lot about me as if he were speaking from God but the stuff he said satan knows to so every time he says somthing to me i seek God right after to search for truth.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:30 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Jedediah Smith

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:25 pm
Thank you for that very succinct definition and brief history of the deuterocanonical or apocryphal books. That is very valuable for future readers.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:15 am
You know, that almost sounded sarcatic. sweatdrop But you were being serious, right? sweatdrop  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:01 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
You know, that almost sounded sarcatic. sweatdrop But you were being serious, right? sweatdrop

confused Of course I was being serious.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces