Welcome to Gaia! ::

★ The Random Guild: Random People Unite! [[Since 2008]] ★

Back to Guilds

"The Random Guild is like a giant family, except you never get tired of anyone!" - Toxic Pepper 

Tags: Random, Contest, Gold, Friends, Hangout 

Reply 14: Life Discussion Forum
What Are Some Good Things to Put on a College Application? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You're gonna fail in life, Saba.
  LOL I can't believe you want to go to STANFORD!!! LOLOLOLOL.
  -____-'
  *pollwhore*
View Results

Sabaism

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:32 pm
Sooo... I've heard that colleges love things that have the words "national" on them. And leadership positions.
Like, what could a freshman start or join or win or what if you wanted to make it to like Stanford or John Hopkins?
sweatdrop

Why, yes, I do overachieve. A lot. Like, almost impractically...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm
Nothing wrong with being an overachiever, as long as you've got the guts to do it. xD Unlike me. o___o

I have heard that colleges love it when they hear you've had leadership experience or if you've been active in a club or have done volunteer work around the community or whatever. That boosts your chances for some reason.  

44hrygydi

8,250 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Gaian 50

Sabaism

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:44 pm
illusive_chaos
Nothing wrong with being an overachiever, as long as you've got the guts to do it. xD Unlike me. o___o

I have heard that colleges love it when they hear you've had leadership experience or if you've been active in a club or have done volunteer work around the community or whatever. That boosts your chances for some reason.

I don't really knowwww *stress*  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:46 pm
sweatdrop I have no clue sweatdrop

I just started my freshmen year in high school sweatdrop  

v v starlight lunaria v v

6,550 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100

44hrygydi

8,250 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:49 pm
Why would you fail!? I just noticed the poll. If it makes you feel any better, I settled for a cheap community college that was once a free community college for the poor who would never be able to get into schools like Harvard or Yale. And I'm proud of my choice. -does a heroic, proud pose-

Even if anyone chose to begin at a small, simple college, like I did, they could still make it to better colleges. It doesn't matter how or where you start, anyway. It's where you end up that matters. I've heard of people starting at community colleges and ending up in places like Harvard or Yale or John Jay or whatever good schools that are out there with great reps. It can happen.

And don't stress. Are you in your last year of high school?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:51 pm
No, I'm a freshman.
Thanks though (:  

Sabaism

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Raechan Rie

4,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:01 pm
Colleges like to see a good GPA, good ACT/SAT score, National Honor Society, volunteer work, and other extra-curricular activities. Having a position in clubs is a good thing, but don't hesitate to put something down that you did but weren't an officer in.

Basically, if you think that a club or activity might give you some scholarly or real world experience, go for it. Just be sure not to stretch yourself too thin! smile

And good luck at getting into Standford! You will want to apply to multiple colleges though to be safe.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:04 am
I wonder what GPA is.
We don't talk about that here in our country.
Though we are all going to be a freshman college next year.
Is GPA about grades or something?
Because it sounds like about grades like UPG (University Predicted Grade) or something  

Landria03

6,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm
You're a smart girl, Saba. As long as you keep your head held high I'm sure you'll make it (:

My AP (college class in a high school setting) teacher says that trying higher level courses like AP, honors, and Dual Enrollment impresses colleges, even if you didn't get straight A's. To them, getting a C in honors is better than an A in regular classes. It shows you have more determination and don't mind a challenge. Like previous posters said, winning or placing in science/social studies fairs, spelling bees, etc and being active in clubs are good things to see on college applications.

=3 hope this helps.

PS: I'm an overachiever too surprised I'm going for a diploma where you have to pass at least 75% of your AP tests and do 75 hours of community service.
Why? Just because. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:20 pm
Landria03
I wonder what GPA is.
Because it sounds like about grades like UPG (University Predicted Grade) or something

Your GPA is your Grade Point Average. Letter grades have assigned numbers ( F=0 D=1 C=2 B=3 A=4) and you calculate your GPA by adding up all those numbers from the courses you took in school and you have your GPA, it's incredibly important here.
Whats UPG?  

i love sunflowers

5,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gaian 50

i love sunflowers

5,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 pm
School government is big, like class president or vice president. It looks really good, or a JROTC program (idk if they have that at your school). The clothes are terrible and annoying, but you get used to it and it looks great.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:52 am
i love sunflowers
Landria03
I wonder what GPA is.

Your GPA is your Grade Point Average. Letter grades have assigned numbers ( F=0 D=1 C=2 B=3 A=4) and you calculate your GPA by adding up all those numbers from the courses you took in school and you have your GPA, it's incredibly important here.
Whats UPG?

UPG provides the university with a basis for ranking students, as applicants’ UPGs must reach a certain cut-off mark in order to be accepted into the university.

You could also think of it as a guide—namely, an estimate of your current status and your potential for excellence. Now whether you actualize that potential or not is entirely up to you.  

Landria03

6,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

i love sunflowers

5,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:37 am
Landria03
i love sunflowers
Landria03
I wonder what GPA is.

Whats UPG?

That seems complicated.

UPG provides the university with a basis for ranking students, as applicants’ UPGs must reach a certain cut-off mark in order to be accepted into the university.

You could also think of it as a guide—namely, an estimate of your current status and your potential for excellence. Now whether you actualize that potential or not is entirely up to you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:08 am
How's your school year going?  

Tainted and Jaded

puppylove713

Animal Lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:15 pm
I don't really know. I started off in a community college, so I can't really say for sure what the more higher up colleges like to see.  
14: Life Discussion Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff