Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
Art Styles! Need your help or just talk art with me =] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you like to learn other art styles/want a tutorial on how to mimic other art styles?
  Yeah! It'd be a great learning experience!
  Yep! Sounds like fun!
  No thanks, I'd rather spend time developing my own art style rather than practice someone elses
  Nope. I'm not inspired enough.
View Results

IndigoNight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:01 am
Gots lots to say so be prepared for a long first post. And sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum D=!

Okay, so here's the thing: I'm mostly skilled in semi-realism so tonight, when I produced a decent-looking anime-type portrait thing of my sister's character, I was inspired.

I want to make a tutorial on learning how to imitate other art styles.

Which means, I have a loooot of studying and practicing to do. It won't be easy and it may take me a long time to get it done but I think it'll be a lot of fun and in the long run it may be good for me as an artist.

So here's where I need your help. I need art styles to start studying. I've already got a few ideas but I'm hoping others can add to it. I'm looking for a wide variety of artists. Please no anime artists/studios. There's just too many with wonderful and unique styles that it'd take me waaaay too long to get to them all. Plus check the list below. Square Enix is on it and they've got tons of great anime styles I'd like to learn.

On deviant Art there's a meme I found (=O not to mention the Pepper Project) that had the same idea that I did (meme here) so I'll be grabbing a few names off that list. Take a look at it so you don't list any of the ones there. =O Or take a look at it to give it a shot yourself =] it might be good learning for you!

Here's a few ideas/artists I have so far:
William Bouguereau
Norman Rockwell
Square Enix
Jonathan Ian Mathers - I'm thinkin Neurotically Yours, A NSFW and considerably offensive webtoon.
Thomas Kinkade
Ashley Wood

...And apparently the lack of sleep won't let me think of any more (though to be fair, I wanted to list a couple on that meme). Does anyone else have any suggestions? At first I was going to ask for artists on deviantArt that would be beneficial to mimic but for some reason it doesn't settle well with me. I'm not sure why either. o.O;

But yeah, I'd like any suggestions or ideas anyone has for me. Thanks for looking ^_^!

9/25 Edit:
My sister suggested I start with Jhonen Vasquez style art so I getta watch a bunch of Invader Zim and read Squee! and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and call it research! This'll be awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 am
I really like this idea! Too many people confine themselves to one art style and don't venture out of it or experiment out of fear they'll do badly.

I want to try that meme though, when I get the chance. smile  

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,400 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:43 pm
I think it's a good and bad idea. People will learn it easier to copy from other artist's style, but then, they won't find their own art style because then if will be considered copying~  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:27 pm
Pandiecakes
I really like this idea! Too many people confine themselves to one art style and don't venture out of it or experiment out of fear they'll do badly.

I want to try that meme though, when I get the chance. smile

=] That's what I think too. I honestly wish people studied art styles and technique from art masters (such as Bouguereau). There's so much to be learned in the art world and I feel not enough people try to gain that knowledge.

If/when you do the meme will you share your reslults? I'd like to see what ya come up with =D!

IndigoNight

IndigoNight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:49 pm
Watergirl244
I think it's a good and bad idea. People will learn it easier to copy from other artist's style, but then, they won't find their own art style because then if will be considered copying~

=O I see your point! Thanks for bringing that up! I agree and I got a reply from one of the guys that did that meme I linked in the original post and he made a really good point that adds to why its not a good idea to rely to heavily on mimicking a style: that not many people are able to mimic other art styles and that's what makes fan art so unique.

I think that it's up to the artist to either rely on copying an art style or to be inspired by it and incorporate it into their own art. =/ If that makes sense? My thoughts are that it's good to learn many different styles of art if only to broaden horizons =] It's like...painting or coloring with your favorite color all the time. You like it and it's "you" but...there are so many other wonderful colors out there to be played with. LoL Failed simile anyone? I'm sometimes terrible at explaining myself ^_^; sorry! I hope I made sense.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:52 pm
I've added Thomas Kinkade to the list of ideas!

IndigoNight

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,400 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:18 pm
I kind of comprehend it~ Maybe slightly copying the style would be too bad, but don't overdo it. Also, people should look at multiple styles and try to learn them, not just one. :3  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:46 pm
Watergirl244
I kind of comprehend it~ Maybe slightly copying the style would be too bad, but don't overdo it. Also, people should look at multiple styles and try to learn them, not just one. :3

That's what I think, which is sort of why I'm doing this tutorial, to help give tips and pointers on where to get started in learning new styles. There was a tutorial I read on finding your own style and this artist suggested to draw in many different styles to help shape yours. It was a neat read.

=] Here's the link if you're curious: *Click*

IndigoNight

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,400 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:52 pm
That looks cool XD  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:49 pm
Watergirl244
That looks cool XD

Mhm! smile

IndigoNight

Rizzi Chan

Sparkly Lover

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:02 am
I don't know what my style is can you help me?

go to xx El Capitano's xx Avi Art Shop to look at them please

sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:57 am
xx El Capitano xx

sweatdrop

Ah, well, it's really hard to name let alone classify peoples styles. So I'm not sure how I can help you, but I'll give it a shot and tell ya what I know. ^_^

Your style is your own regardless of who or what inspires you--unless you out right imitate one specific artist. As far as putting your style into a category, however, I'd say you're leaning towards an anime style. I'd like to go more in depth with that but sweatdrop I don't watch enough anime or read well...hardly any manga to compare you to a professional artist.

I'm sorry =/ that's probably not very helpful. But =] let me know if I can help ya in any other way and I'll do what I can. =D

IndigoNight

IndigoNight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:36 pm
=] I start learning/drawing tomorrow, when I can get my hands on a sketck book.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Good idea, i might have some cartoonists you might is interested in smile  

Hardrock_Cafe

Aged Smoker

8,400 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100

Rizzi Chan

Sparkly Lover

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:46 pm
ok... I'm having trouble anyway with my drawing like its formation and all... I can't do hands and feet properly... can you help me with that?
IndigoNight
xx El Capitano xx

sweatdrop

Ah, well, it's really hard to name let alone classify peoples styles. So I'm not sure how I can help you, but I'll give it a shot and tell ya what I know. ^_^

Your style is your own regardless of who or what inspires you--unless you out right imitate one specific artist. As far as putting your style into a category, however, I'd say you're leaning towards an anime style. I'd like to go more in depth with that but sweatdrop I don't watch enough anime or read well...hardly any manga to compare you to a professional artist.

I'm sorry =/ that's probably not very helpful. But =] let me know if I can help ya in any other way and I'll do what I can. =D

Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff