Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
The Dueling Club! (OPEN!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HPGoG Suit of Armor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:23 pm
User Image

Hello! My name is well, it was Sir Defendo. As you can see, all that's left of me is my Suit of Armor. However, I am in charge of The Dueling Club, just as the House Ghosts are in charge of your Houses. While I'm technically, in charge my associate, Avatar34 (Tina Aurora), will be the Lead Dueling Instructor. The referees, Avatar34, and any of the Dueling Instructors (see below) will ask a random trivia question and whoever answers first will receive House Points. However, you must remember that you must have posted in the Sorting Hat so you can be Sorted in order to win House Points, or else you're just answering questions for the fun of it because, House Elves and Graduates can't win House Points, although, they are welcome to join in. 3nodding

Feel free to answer any questions by...
Quote:
Dueling Instructors:
Lead Instructor:
Referee:
Iceewitch

Other Instructors:
techpriest35

(If you are interested in becoming an Instructor, see the post below.)

Quote:
Dueling Club Rules and Guidelines:
(You must-read before you participate in Dueling.)

1. Don't ask your own questions without permission. stare
Only Dueling instructors and myself can post questions or award points. I'll wallop you with my broomstick if you do, and then take points off or even prolong your sorting date. I have the power and I rarely use it, but I will for this. It's a big pet-peeve of mine.
2. Type in your house color. Always, type in your house color when answering a question so we know which house to give points to. You can now lose points for not doing so, so just do it. The instructors will always type in a neutral color (default color). Note to House Elves: You may use any color of the rainbow to answer, but you are not to use any shade of house colors. You will be reminded in a very firm letter of warning for first offenses.
3. We like non-students, but we can't award them for their answers. We do not think that this should stop you from answering questions if you so desire. 3nodding However, House elves and non-students should note that only students can earn points for answering questions. We only think it is fair to warn you before you participate.
4. Lighting round answers must be PMed to Avatar34 (See "Lightning Rounds" below in this post) If a single person fails to follow this rule and posts the answers in the thread, they will lose 25 points for their house and those Lighting Round questions will be dead and no one will receive anything for them. (Also, there won't be any making a replacement round for that term, it will simply go by without a Lighting Round. Also it is up to the Lead Instructor if there should be a Round or not)
5. Please don't go straight for you books, people. rolleyes All participants in the Dueling Club and myself would appreciate it if you did not go straight for your books or a site like Lexicon to answer the question. Someone might know it from memory and, really, they deserve the credit far more than someone who would have to look it up. However, we understand that some are eager to earn points and so we understand if you become impatient. Just don't automatically go to the book, it sorta ruins it for everyone. Try answering it from memory, you'd be surprised how much you know without checking the book.

So, to sum it up...normal questions you answer here, "lightning round" questions you PM to Avatar34.
Trust, me, you'll know a lighting round when you see it.

Here's a bit more about Lighting Rounds...

Quote:
Lightning Rounds:
(What they are...)

Every term has a 'round' and, toward the end of each term, there may be a "Lightning Round." Lightning Rounds will be held basically whenever the Lead Instructor has the time, but there will only be one per term. They will be posted and clearly marked with a lightning round Banner, as well as a notice of a lightning round in the thread title. So they are difficult to confuse with a regular question. In a Lightning Round there will be a series of 5 to 10 difficult questions; you will have to PM the answers to Avatar34 (or someone who she specifies) and the person who sends her the most correct answers from their own memory and then from the books will receive a considerable amount of house points and first and second place also receive prizes.(All prizes will be stated before I post the questions and will vary from time to time, but hopefully may be a Collectible) However, if a single person fails to follow the rules and posts their answers instead of PMing them, they will be punished and the entire lighting round will be called off. So, as long as you follow the rules, you're good!

Well, now you have all there is to know about us.
Let's see what you know!

Quote:
-Past Lightning Round Winners-

Round One:

First place and the winner of 50 house points is....
PrincessMeg
Second place and the winner of 30 house points is...
DevilsDarkAngel

And there was no 3rd place!
crying

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:32 pm
Dueling Instructors Needed!

Do you enjoy a good HP trivia question? Do often you find yourself being scolded by your parents for asking them stupid questions like "what color is Cornelius Fudge's Bowler Hat?" just to see if they can answer it? Do you have an extra 15 minutes to kill every now and then? If you answered yes to one or all of those then you have the makings of a Dueling Instructor!
The job is simple enough, you will ask random HP trivia questions whenever there is an available chance in the Dueling Club Thread. You aren''t obligated to do it, this is just so everyone has a chance to earn points... 3nodding If you would like to apply to be an instructor; please PM Avatar34, IceeWitch or Professor Adonis with the following information:

Quote:

Name:
House:
# of books/movies you have read/seen
(and roughly how many times each):
About how many questions you have answered in the thread already:
Why you think you would make a good instructor:
Anything else you deem important:

Please keep in mind that there is also a trust factor that will definitely have a major influence on whether you may be a instructor or not...
if no one knows you that well, it may take a while for us to trust you enough to let you be an instructor.

Thank you for your time,
Sir Defendo

HPGoG Suit of Armor

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:21 pm
Okay, let's start off with an easy one...

In HP & the PS/SS what is a favorite sweet of Dumbledore?
(2 Points)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:55 pm

sherbet lemons

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:50 pm
That is correct. 2 Points to Slytherin!

Does anyone know the answer to the British Version?
(Same question, 2 Points)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:07 pm
████████ ██ █ ▍▍❤

I thought that was the British version, isn't the American version lemon drops?

❤ ▍▍ █ ██ ████████

xOmishu_uhsimOx

9,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Junior 100

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:16 pm
Correct! 2 Points to Gryffindor!
(And yes, it was a trick question.)

Did Minerva McGonagall cry when Gryffindor won the House Cup?
(3 Points)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:22 pm
████████ ██ █ ▍▍❤

Didn't Gryffindor get it more than once? ... I know she cried, but I don't remember which time

❤ ▍▍ █ ██ ████████

xOmishu_uhsimOx

9,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Junior 100

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:33 pm
Yes, they did. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I was referring to the first time the won with Harry on the Team. Anyway..

Correct! 3 Points to Gryffindor!

According to the BOOKS, what Position did James Potter play while at Hogwarts?
(3 Points)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 am
Come on everyone, this one is easy!

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

xOmishu_uhsimOx

9,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:37 pm
████████ ██ █ ▍▍❤

Seeker! same as Harry I believe :3

❤ ▍▍ █ ██ ████████

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:23 pm
Incorrect, anyone have a guess?

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

IceeWitch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:37 pm
He was definitely a Chaser...which is weird because he was playing with a Snitch in Snape's memory.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:19 am
Correct! (No Points awarded because, you a House-elf. However, feel free to continue playing.)

What spell was used on the witnesses to Peter Pettigrew's murder of twelve Muggles and subsequent escape as a rat?
(2 Points)

6,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150