Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sketchbook of Toxicity

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Toxicity_of_Len

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:27 pm
This'll be my sketch dump on Gaia from now on. Enjoy~.

About me:

I've been drawing since I was a little toddler. I'm very proud of the progress I've made thus far, but I'm never at my best and I'm always improving. I'm an aspiring concept artist, and I also want to get heavily involved in animation.

I can handle critique as long as it's not something like, "Oh, something seems a bit off. Maybe the leg?" That's a pet peeve of mine. Please, if you're going to critique my work, be as specific as possible. I even critique my own work, so I tend to know what's what. That's how I learn and improve!

I'm too chicken to make an account at conceptart.org but eh, it's whatever. I'll have to do it very soon. The artists there are amazing and it's like this gateway to so much. D;

Anyway, here are a few of my sketches and whatnot (old to recent in the last two months). Not all of them are included, but I'll post the few I left out later on.

Crystal and Lisa

Glow in the Dark

Submerged

Pirate
-Her waist isn't quite in proportion with her body as a whole,
and her arms are on the long side.

Seductress

Trish

Hot n' Spicy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:09 pm
Glow in the Dark:
From a design perspective, the belt on her leg doesn't seem to serve any function.

Pirate:
- The neck appears too long in relation to the shoulders.
- I think the knees are too high -- the thigh should be longer.
- She looks like a man. =) Maybe you could make the hips wider, and possibly take away some of the muscle tone?
- The navel is too low -- it's meant to be on the waistline.
It's an interesting design, you obviously put some thought into that. =)

Seductress:
- I think that the muscle line on the neck (whatever it's called, going from behind the ear to the collarbone?) shouldn't be visible on her left side (the direction where her head is turned). Have a look in the mirror and turn your head, it sort of 'sinks' into the neck on that side but stands out on the other.
- I looove the curve of her thighs.

Trish... I really like that one. It's not a generic face, it's unique and interesting.

Hot n' Spicy:
- The chin appears rather small on this one. I think it should be a bit lower, even with that perspective.

Overall you seem to have a good grasp on anatomy. The women are quite manly though. smile  

Sunsway

Toxicity_of_Len

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:37 pm
Thank you for the critique. xd

I really appreciate it.

Glow in the Dark:
No, it doesn't have any particularly important function besides glowing, and you could say the same goes for her belt. I was thinking more along the lines of her being a raver or something like that.

Pirate:
There are quite a few anatomical errors in this one. I've been working on figure studies a lot lately and when I looked back on this, I noticed right away. She does look quite manly in physique, yes. Not as curvaceous as a woman should be and then there's the whole muscle issue. I'm forever working on that. I'll salvage the design and do something with it.

Seductress:
I understand what you mean when you mention the muscle in her neck.

Hot n' Spicy:
Thank you for pointing that out to me. Corrected it just now on paper. Looks better in comparison.

I'll work on drawing women in a more feminine way. I dunno, people just come in all shapes and sizes; male or female, stocky or thin. I guess I've strayed from the traditional sense of feminine. Reference is key! xP

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games