Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Weight Loss Diaries and Journals
Dizzy's weight loss journal (feel free to comment) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:53 pm
so this is my journal on weight loss, in this guild.

last month I weight in at 240.

as of this morning I weigh in at 228.

my overall goal for now, is 200lbs and then maintain it for a while, then lose some more weight and go to 150Lbs, hold that and then go a little lower till I am a good weight of about 125.

I am 5'4 and 24 years old. I work at a food store doing anything they ask of me. I walk a total of 3 miles going to and from work everyday that I work. I have been waking up everyday at 9am all summer, and I don't work that many hours but I get about 20-25hours a week at work.

I am very proud of myself and I am doing this not for vanity, but for health. I have given up red meats and am eating lean skinless boneless chicken. I only cook with Extra Virgin olive oil, and I have been eating fresh fruits and veggies, reading the ingredients in the food that is canned or boxed, and watching out for partially hydrogenated oils. I wont deny once in a while I reach for a mountain dew at work, or a coke. I work in a food store that is about a mile and a half away from my house so everyday for the past 6 years I have walked and biked to work. I lost no weight when I was there. well I lost a little, but I have been doing what I can to reduce my cholesterol levels and to lose a lot of weight.

I always read the sodium content, and the fat as well as the cholesterol content. I do not count calories as I am not fond of math while eating. Every morning I eat a bowl of oatmeal, and sometimes I have an apple with it and a drinkable yogurt and some water. I eat ocean spray with cranberry and pomegranate. My dad is French and he helps me pick out some foods that are going to help my heart, and knows what flavors to get. I did try being Vegan, but having been raised on meat and having a love of the ocean and eating tasty animals and fish, I couldn't do it.

I am laying off a lot of my favorite cheeses. goat cheese, brie, Camembert, and a lot of others. I have been eating reduced fat Swiss cheese, sharp cheddar, and eating meatless burgers for when I crave a bit of meat. I have been avoiding eggs somewhat. I don't let myself have them a lot, and I take iron supplements about 2-3 times a week now.

when I go to work I always carry a water bottle full and wrap a towel around it, since I tend to overheat a lot, even in the winter. I use the condensation of the metal bottle on the towel to keep my head cool when I am on break, and I drink the water which has been filling me up.

today for some reason, I woke up late, didn't get a lot of sleep and I had to eat when I got home, I used a lot more sodium than usual, but I think it was ok since I needed food. I ate two boca burgers with some Swiss cheese on them and a 16oz bottle of ice cold water, had some broccoli and I have been eating figs lately which have been improving my moods a bit too.

I am very pleased at my overall progress. Also if my dad doesn't want to take the dog on a walk, she comes to me and asks me to take her, so I tend to. She is a smart dog.

I do sometimes have a candy but I don't go overboard. I don't eat a lot of junk food anymore. I do order pizza or have a tart or some chocolate now and again but my dad has been helping me not eat too much. I don't like a lot of chocolate so I have been taking less than the suggested serving of chocolate. if its twelve pieces I take about 3 or 6 depending on good it is. I do look at calories and ingredients in chocolate too. I stopped Hershey's and am boycotting Motts and Dr. Pepper company (which includes welches. My job asked me to so I am.)

I have been experimenting with different veggies and fruits everyday. I got some kale and cooked it by steaming it, and then cooked it with a bit of light cream, EVOO, and a little rum and one egg. I have been avoiding shrimps too. the kale was amazing, and in a few weeks I am going to have collard greens. I am looking for a great recipe that is healthy but delicious. if I use butter, I only like unsalted. I don't like salty butter. I think me having cut back on sodium and cholesterol is really helping me to lose weight. I know when aunt flow visits again, I am probably going to gain a pound or two, and retain water, but I am happy at my choice. I have also made some portions smaller. I reduce meat and eat more veggies and drink more water.

that is all for tonight more progress reports as I go along.

I am doing this because my biological grandfather died at age 63 and I want to live a long healthy happy life. Not get Diabetes and do what I love.

also I do eat canned beans, but I get stop n shop brand and they are usually organic with sea salt and I drain them. I make sure I get all the liquid and salt off before cooking them with anything so I don't get too much sodium in my meals.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:15 am
Hey, welcome to the guild and congrats on your weight loss so far. It looks like you're doing a great job with eating healthier, and doing it for the right reasons. Sodium is difficult to avoid, especially with processed food. surprised Best of luck!  

Sunsway

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:48 pm
thanks and yeah it is, but I prefer adding my own salt to food I cook for myself. my parents tend to get the veggies and fruits I request, and I have grown to like swiss.

but eating oatmeal is a great way to wake up. once in a while I use a little maple syrup on it.

my endocrynologist told me to to eat foods that contain mass corn syrup, eat peanut butter filled with carcinogens, and stuff with chemicals to kill me. I said to hell with that diet. I am doing things my way.

when I eat canned tuna, I always ALWAYS get low sodium in water. if I want some oil, I drizzle some EVOO onto it. (yeah I'm using Rachel Ray's term, its easier to type.) and a little salt and pepper. and Voila! canned tuna!

I have been avoiding most canned soups but I dont like cooking beans because I AM a busy person, I dont have time to babysit the beans or lentils till they are done cooking. I have to use canned beans and drain them to cut back on cooking time. its just easier and tastes just as good.

when I use Garlic, always use fresh. I was taught if you were gonna cook, make it your own way, and cook for yourself, not canned unless you need to.

tonight mom bought a ton of ice cream. I resisted!

but mainly cause I don't know what ingredients are in Gifford's ice cream. I like mine all natural and with few ingredients. no more than 6: milk/cream sugar, vanilla, and flavor x. flavor X being whatever it is. chocolate? strawberries? peaches (yuck), uhh green? anything like that.

I havent been able to check my weight today but I am gonna go bike riding tomorrow, and go down hills and help overcome my fear of going down hills. I am also going to put on some new breaks on my bike.

today was a good day at school. I had my first day back, I like my teachers, and I am VERY happy to say yeah I only had $3 today, but I used it to get a nice sweet coffee at school, they are small but good. and I had a hot dog. not best idea but it kept me away from spending too much on greasy cafeteria food, and I couldnt get a soda that way. I got home and I ate nothing but veggies. I steamed my kale, and I think I kept the nutrients, I cooked them with Evoo and light cream, which I requested. I did crack an egg, but I dont eat those everyday. I have one whole egg or two once every few weeks. since I know they are super high in cholesterol. I am not sure if it is a good or bad cholesterol, so I am limiting eggs and shrimp for now. I have heard that mussels are good and I love those.

if anyone has any foods that can help reduce cholesterol do tell. I have been eating a fig every other day so I dont overdo them. and I have been taking a few vitamins, iron for my blood, 1 65mg pill every few days or every week, some fish oil for heart health and lubricating my joints a little, calcium along with my water and milk. I've been avoiding juices if I can. and I LOVE these sandwich flats! perfect for all kinds of burgers!

I've been looking to Alton Brown and fit TV for advice on meals, and reaching for broccoli. sure I use Caesar dressing for the broccoli but I do not douse it.

when I make salads, I ALWAYs make my own dressing with EVOO and vinegar. just like my grandmother in France taught me. I think it was 2 parts vinegar, 3 parts oil, a little dijon mustard, and a touch of salt and pepper to taste.

but thats tonights update. I hope I can reach my goal of 200lbs by January 27th. my birthday. I dont know if thats losing too fast or not.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:08 pm
Since you've got so much going on and time is an issue, have you considered buying yourself a crockpot? You can cook beans and even entire meals in them and they don't take a lot of prep. Don't require any babysitting either. You can turn them on in the morning and then come home from work or school and have something hot and waiting for you.  

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:36 pm
actually, we do have a crockpot. I suppose could do that.

but I dont know how to cook beans in them with rice. I am guessing water.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:54 pm
Alton Brownnnnnnn heart heart heart

i love your outlook on food! smile i wish we had more whole foods at my house, but usually i'm at the mercy of what my parents buy.

pinkcatminht

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:55 pm
well I lost another Lb but I think thats from not getting to my lunch in time.

I'm picking up materials for sandwiches tomorrow at work. I need to be taking sandwiches with me more. any suggestions? I might get my usual PBJ but I dunno..... I just need bread and peanut butter.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Unfortunately PB+J isn't all that healthy for you.. lots of sugar and considering the amount of calories (350-400 in a sandwich) there's almost no nutrition. ): I mean, it's definitely better than fried fast food, but I think that for the "calorie cost" and for the money you can do better. (: It's a good treat once in a while, but do keep in mind that it should just be a treat and not a regular thing if you can help it!

If you can afford and can eat deli meats or vegetarian replacements, that's always a good option (low-sodium varieties!) for protein. Or you can look up good veggie-sandwich recipes. (:
Also consider that since (from what I read in your intro) you're cooking your own dinner more, perhaps you might make an extra serving of dinner to tote for lunch the next day. You can pick up a cheap plastic sealing box nearly anywhere, I take beans/lentils and other dinner foods I make in mine! That way you know the good nutrition that's there.

I hope this helped.. best of luck!

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:54 pm
actually the peanut butter get is only Peanuts and salt or just peanuts.

but I got soybean butter today instead. and I use Lyngonberry jelly which is lyngonberries and a little sugar. or special crafted jellies. I dont go with cheap stuff.

and I have plenty of tupperware and gladware to use for transporting my food. but a sandwich is easier to carry to school.

I stopped using Jif peanut Butter and those name brands. I go with stop n shop organics or Smuckers. sure its a little higher in calories but I dont count calories.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:03 am
Stars in my Pocket
Unfortunately PB+J isn't all that healthy for you.. lots of sugar and considering the amount of calories (350-400 in a sandwich) there's almost no nutrition. ): I mean, it's definitely better than fried fast food, but I think that for the "calorie cost" and for the money you can do better. (: It's a good treat once in a while, but do keep in mind that it should just be a treat and not a regular thing if you can help it!

I do my PB&J with one tablespoon reduced fat peanut butter, two slices of 50 cal/high-fiber bread, and a tablespoon of sugar-free jelly. Comes out to about 200 calories which is worth it to me when I'm craving peanut butter.  

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:42 pm
the only Issue I have though with those kinds of peanut butters is if you look at the label for the reduced fat peanut butter, those kinds like Jif and Skippy, they all have added ingredients to the peanut butter, which worries me, adn I'm allergic to sugar free. I have had Splenda (tm), and Aspartame before. they tend to hurt me.

so I can only have a small amount of sugar or honey. Years ago, when I was about 7 my mom packed me a peanut butter and honey sandwich for lunch. So I might start doing that. high fiber bread, though this week its a bread called ancient grains. I'm not convinced its really ancient grains.

Next week I am gonna get High fiber bread. but this week for lunch I am having Soybutter and honey or Soybutter and jelly for lunch, I have to have a sandwich before class starts, and have some veggies and fruits to go with it. I always have a bottle of water with me though in case I need some.

the only Jelly I eat is a brand called Bonne Maman. they make it in France too and its real fruit with a bit of sugar and water. sometimes I go with polaner all fruit but I mostly stick to Bonne maman brand jelly. Its the exact kind of jelly my grandmother makes in the same kind of containers. (and she lives in France)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:41 pm
Munkers
Stars in my Pocket

I do my PB&J with one tablespoon reduced fat peanut butter, two slices of 50 cal/high-fiber bread, and a tablespoon of sugar-free jelly. Comes out to about 200 calories which is worth it to me when I'm craving peanut butter.
i remember reading somewhere that you're better off just buying natural nut butters & consuming the healthy fats in them then taking in cheap filler carbs like maltodextrin(often in reduced fat pb).

Dizzy Aquarius, have you ever tried agave nectar in place of honey? its a bit thinner, but it's the same type of sweetness & is easier on your blood sugar. & also, if you ever get tired of soynut butter, cashew or almond butter are also really good too. i was obsessed with almond butter for a while sweatdrop
and i use polaner myself, i love it smile

pinkcatminht

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:03 am
Dia Dementia
I remember reading somewhere that you're better off just buying natural nut butters & consuming the healthy fats in them then taking in cheap filler carbs like maltodextrin(often in reduced fat pb).

In general, I'm not too uptight when it comes to taking in healthy oils, but since I'm doing Weight Watchers, the reduced fat variety is easier to fit into my diet. I still get olive oil, nuts and seeds, and fish in my diet so I'm not missing out on any of the healthy fats or fatty acids. Since peanut butter is a treat and not a stable food for me, having a less calorie dense option is preferable.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:39 am
Dia Dementia
Munkers
Stars in my Pocket

i remember reading somewhere that you're better off just buying natural nut butters & consuming the healthy fats in them then taking in cheap filler carbs like maltodextrin(often in reduced fat pb).

Dizzy Aquarius, have you ever tried agave nectar in place of honey? its a bit thinner, but it's the same type of sweetness & is easier on your blood sugar. & also, if you ever get tired of soynut butter, cashew or almond butter are also really good too. i was obsessed with almond butter for a while sweatdrop
and i use polaner myself, i love it smile
yeah I am planning on trying almond and cashew next. Agave, I will look for it. I dont know if my store has any but I will look.

And Munkers, thats pretty good. My mom does weight watchers and she interprets fro them too. she buys almost everything weight watchers related. I dont eat their food but I have my own way. just eat less, and cut out the bad stuff. I might ahve to start eating maybe one egg a week now instead of every few days. I love the yolk but I am gonna have to REALLY cut back on them as I have heard from several sources that Eggs are bad cholesterol, and the yolk is the worst part of it for you. but I heard from someone else that the yolk actually boosted her moms health, and she lived longer too.  

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50

Sunsway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:00 am
Really? I always thought eggs were really great for you. Protein and all that... but cholesterol info in general hasn't been on my radar at all. But if it's a toss-up between eggs and some kind of processed food, surely eggs are still the way to go?  
Weight Loss Diaries and Journals

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff