Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Question about Patrick McCollum

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Idunn Illustrated

Aged Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:57 pm
And yes, this DOES tie into Wicca-- it's not my personal path, but BOY am I stumped on this one.

Does anyone have some insight into this Patrick McCollum fellow..??

He's currently holding the title of "Reverend," which I could have sworn was a term used solely in the Christian Church..? I may very well be mistaken, but it doesn't sound correct.

I'll quote his front page here;

"Reverend Patrick McCollum is one of the founding elders of the Wicca/Earth-Based Spirituality movement in the United States. Over a period of nearly half a century, he has continuously taught workshops and classes on Earth-Based Spirituality, Wicca and Wiccan Theology, and the history of Pagan spirituality and it's connections and implications to modern mainstream religion. In addition, Rev. McCollum has long been an active participant in the interfaith movement and works diligently on the front lines for human rights, social justice, and world peace. He has advised the United States Commission on civil rights matters and his comments have been included in a report to the United States Congress and to The President."

Supposedly, he's attempting to gain support to overturn California's "Five-Faiths" policy, in which the top five religions are only truly granted the constitutional freedoms and are called "Tier-One" religions-- leaving all other faiths as "Tier-Two." This also means that they are supposedly not allowed the same constitutional rights as the Top Five, due to the 'fact' that religions other than the top five were never intended for those rights to begin with. Blah.

I do apologize in advance if this guy is legit, but something just isn't clicking... Not only that, but I've never had the pleasure of hearing about him before. Does anyone have some good information? I mean, if all this is true, I'd love to get on board for some equal rights letter penning. D:

If you're curious, here is his personal website and the news article explaining the 'Tier One/Tier Two' dilemma.

I hope I'm not just being overly picky, please forgive me if I appear as such. I just want to understand what is going on with this guy.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:51 pm
This guy is on the up and up, even if there are areas (like everyone) that I don't agree on. He is very respected and is invited to speak as a Pagan to World Religion summits.

Go pen your letters smile  

maenad nuri
Captain

Idunn Illustrated

Aged Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:59 pm
maenad nuri
This guy is on the up and up, even if there are areas (like everyone) that I don't agree on. He is very respected and is invited to speak as a Pagan to World Religion summits.

Go pen your letters smile

Shweet. Many thanks. I couldn't find information on him anywhere! The last thing I want to do is write California offices about something that isn't being waged. lol!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:19 pm
To the best of my knowledge he doesn't have a line of initiation tracing back to the New Forest coven.

But in the United States, that doesn't really matter as far as the law is concerned.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:09 am
Esiris
To the best of my knowledge he doesn't have a line of initiation tracing back to the New Forest coven.

But in the United States, that doesn't really matter as far as the law is concerned.

And really, he does good work, been at this for quite awhile. He may or may not be correct in his terminology, it is the most widely used terminology. And when you are trying to work for something, shorthand might be more useful.

And really -- he was initiated in 1965. That's in the time period where Wicca was not only brought to the US, but it was being mixed with a spiritual feminist movement. It was really confusing in the US at that point.

We work here to be more precise in our language, partially because most of the people who ask about it are young and it will have an impact.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:48 am
maenad nuri
Esiris

And really, he does good work, been at this for quite awhile. He may or may not be correct in his terminology, it is the most widely used terminology. And when you are trying to work for something, shorthand might be more useful.

And really -- he was initiated in 1965. That's in the time period where Wicca was not only brought to the US, but it was being mixed with a spiritual feminist movement. It was really confusing in the US at that point.

We work here to be more precise in our language, partially because most of the people who ask about it are young and it will have an impact.

Yeah, that's what confused me right off the bat. How he could be referring to something as 'Wicca/Wiccan" that SOUNDED like the very concepts most people end up in this rehab for. xD;

Sorry if I came off harshly or non-believer, but I really wasn't sure given all the terms he had sloshing around on his page and in the article. But, you are right about the shorthand point. smile Thank you!  

Idunn Illustrated

Aged Entrepreneur

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces