Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
what is ap

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LacrymosaVampiress22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:07 pm
i know you got a choice to choose ap classes or not but what is it? what is its purpose?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:13 pm
"AP is Advanced Placement. If you take the course and pass an exam, it can be counted as a college credit."  

katan ayde

LacrymosaVampiress22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:56 pm
sweet! i got ap art history ^ ^ but i might add more. thx  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:41 pm
Advanced Placement.
It's supposedly a college level program, but I've heard everything from it's easier than college classes to it's designed to be harder than college classes. It's definitely harder than high school classes, at least at my school.

In May, you take a test (Mine cost $86.00 each, but depending on your school and situation, it might be different. One of my friends takes them for free. It just depends.) and in July you'll recieve a score between 1 and 5, 5 being the best. These can be used as college credits depending on the score you get and if your school accepts AP test scores.

They're usually weighted higher than regular classes because they're advanced. So at my school, if you got a 100% in an AP class, it goes into your GPA as 108%. It's good for raising your GPA (assuming you do well) and looks good on a college application, even if you don't do well on the AP test.  

eccentricanomaly

viper_353

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:21 am
In my school, you'll take ap classes until grade 12, when you get into your college course. Those advanced classes before are pretty much pure level courses, except with a bit more information, more thinking questions and a unit from the next course tacked on at the end! The good thing though, is that you'll write the pure final exams, so chances are pretty high that you'll ace it! Grade 12 is your college course, where you'll take a final exam for it sometime in May, where they give you a mark from 1-5, which determines if your course will be used for college credits!
I haven't heard of haveing to pay any money for the test, but I suppose it's different wherever you go! Oh, and I have no idea what GPA means so I won't know about that!

I'm taking calculus next year after going through all the other ap courses and I'm actually really excited! Ap IS harder than regular pure courses, but that will just prepare you so much better for the final exams! Lol, and the classes are always so much more fun because teachers tend to trust you way more, and you usually (or at least in my school you do) get put with the same class from gr. 10 through to 12!
I would totally advise taking it, since if you don't like it you can always switch out, where as you can not transfer up into it!
And in my class I only know one person who is scoring below 70%. Most people are in 80 range. You just learn that you've got to actually do your homework to get good marks!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:57 pm
viper_353
In my school, you'll take ap classes until grade 12, when you get into your college course. Those advanced classes before are pretty much pure level courses, except with a bit more information, more thinking questions and a unit from the next course tacked on at the end! The good thing though, is that you'll write the pure final exams, so chances are pretty high that you'll ace it! Grade 12 is your college course, where you'll take a final exam for it sometime in May, where they give you a mark from 1-5, which determines if your course will be used for college credits!
I haven't heard of haveing to pay any money for the test, but I suppose it's different wherever you go! Oh, and I have no idea what GPA means so I won't know about that!

I'm taking calculus next year after going through all the other ap courses and I'm actually really excited! Ap IS harder than regular pure courses, but that will just prepare you so much better for the final exams! Lol, and the classes are always so much more fun because teachers tend to trust you way more, and you usually (or at least in my school you do) get put with the same class from gr. 10 through to 12!
I would totally advise taking it, since if you don't like it you can always switch out, where as you can not transfer up into it!
And in my class I only know one person who is scoring below 70%. Most people are in 80 range. You just learn that you've got to actually do your homework to get good marks!

So I got into calculus class today and we talked this all over....it costs $80-some if the teacher doesn't reccomend you. So our teacher will reccomend students to take the international exam if they score an adverage of 80% or higher during the course! They write it in the first week of May, and then we're doing anything in calc 31 not covered by the ap course! And then we write the math 31 test, but it should be really really easy since you know most of it and apparently it's just simple calculus!! biggrin  

viper_353

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:14 am
how do you get into AP classes?
are they just assigned or do you choose to take them?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:08 pm
AThousandLullabies
how do you get into AP classes?
are they just assigned or do you choose to take them?

Where I come from (and I've never heard of it being done differently), you choose to take them.  

Hersheydudette

29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff