Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Need a bit of help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anadalya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Help please? I started a pencil drawing of a figure but he seems disproportioned. And should I do it in color? I wanted pencil originally as that is my stronger area. But he has color I need to use and I am not sure how to go about it. Can I do pencil and a bit of paint? ( Sorry had to take a picture of it, to large for scanner. )

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:31 am
granted this is a picture, and usually things get skewed or weirdly stretched when camera angles are involved, but I'll see what I can do.

The head is most certainly disproportional, with the exception of the face. Remember that the head is made of a ball that holds the brain, and a pyramid (with a very flat base touching the ball) which is the face. An even egg-like slope like you have stretches out the head and loses any height you have. Not to mention you forehead looks wonky.... Perhaps for that same reason.

The shoulders are also too wide for the picture. If you look at where the collarbone extends to in your diagram, you have a large amount of space after that BEFORE the shoulder hits - that is where your shoulder must be. Either drop the extra space and slope your shoulders, or drop the collarbone down to handle the extra room. Where I see it, your collarbone is perfect where it is.

Looking at the neck, it seems too wide when it juts from the chin. Bring it in maybe a bit past your longitudinal face line but not all the way past the chin. Since that is where his trapezius starts, it gives off the illusion that he has no neck.

On a side note, the hands are the perfect size, relative to the face, so good going there.  

tehstripedpyjamas

3,050 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

Sunsway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:28 am
Have you been studying Hogarth? =) Good on ya, he's awesome.

Head:
The facial features look good to me, but be careful not to make the forehead too small/flat/rounded. You could also make the mouth wider I think. Are you going for a more realistic look?

Torso:
tehstrypedpyjamas alrady pointed out the wide shoulders... To put the collarbone more into perspective, think of the tendon starting behind the ear, running down to frame the throat and joining under the throat at the start of the collarbones. The line then proceeds to curve outwards and up to form the collarbones, curving up into the shoulders and then rounding down to form the deltoid.

Hands:
Looking at my own wrists, I can actually see the bones stand out where the joint is. I think it's pretty much like that for everyone unless they have thick arms... not absolutely sure, haha. But if you're going for this buff, muscular look then I think this guy could benefit from some wrist joints. =)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:31 am
i thank it looks good  

emo godess_11

Anadalya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:39 am
Thanks for the help you two! I will get to work on it and post it here eventually. biggrin  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games