Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Defense Against Dark Arts {FINALS UP DUE 11-13-10} Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you take this class?
Yes
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Oshenukhar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 pm
. : { Welcome to } : .

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:59 pm
User Image

User Image”Welcome students, I am professor Gris-Ocre, I will be your Defense Against the Dark Arts professor for this term. I am from The United states of America where I attended the Salem Witches Institute. I am muggle-born, my father and mother being muggles, hence I was raised in a muggle household, but I had wizard brother and understand defense very well. A little more about me when I was at the Salem Witches Institute I was the President of the Glee Club, Prefect, and Head Girl, I am aware that there are those amongst us that have, are, or will be a prefect or head student, that will not deter me from grading everyone equally and fairly.This year there will be three levels to D.A.D.A. Beginning (years 1-3) Intermediate (Years 4-6) and advanced (year 7). Each level will have three lessons and one essay and a final at the end of the term. I do expect proper wand handling in my class, and I must stress that you must never use the spell on fellow students, I will be using the practice dummies that were so gracefully purchased by Professor Flips.”

Oshenukhar

Oshenukhar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:11 pm
User Image
. : { Table of Contents/ Rules/ Class Levels/ Grading/ Application } : .

. : { Table of Contents } : .
. : { Rules } : .
. : { Class Levels } : .
. : { Grading } : .
. : { Application } : .
. : { Students } : .
. : { Dice Rolls } : .
. : { Lessons } : .
. : { Assignments } : .
. : { Previous Lessons & Assignments } : .
. : { Announcements } : .

. : { Rules } : .

. : 1 : . Follow Gaia ToS.

. : 2 : . Follow Guild Rules.

. : 3 : . Please post in the following colors:

User Image Gryffindor- red or dark redUser Image

User ImageRavenclaw- blue or dark blueUser Image

User ImageHufflepuff- black or orangeUser Image

User Image Slytherin- green or oliveUser Image

User Image~*~I will be posting in teal.User Image
. : 4 : . Homework please pm to oshenukhar in the color you use to post in class with the title= DADA Homework, level # & Lesson #.

. : 5 : . In-Class Assignments please post in here.

. : 6 : . All work must be written in complete sentences.

. : 7 : . Inexcused missing assignments can potentially lose you points.

. : 8 : . You MUST Complete the majority of assignments given to pass.

. : 9 : . Use the Student Message Board or PM me to report when you will be absent. Excused absences will NOT lose you points.

. : 10 : . Late work ONLY accepted from excused absentees and early sorting students.

. : { Class Levels } : .

Beginning { YRS 1-3 }
Intermediate { YRS 4-6 }
Advanced { YR 7 }

. : { Grading } : .

All students will earn a grade based on classwork, homework, test and essay scores.
~*~Each homework and classwork assignment is worth 10 points
~*~Essay is worth 15 points
~*~The Final is work 35 points
~*~ Casting Spells successfully will earn you 2 points
~*~ Failure to cast spells when assigned them will lose you 2 points.
~*~Failure to turn in an assignment will lose you 5 points per missed assignment
~*~Late work will only be accepted with prior excused absence. (pm me before you miss the assignment) I will only allow you two late assignments at a time. (ex. You miss the first two assignments I will not allow you anymore late work until the late assignments are completed and turned in.)
~*~There will be grades given out at the end of term
~*~Passing Grades: (Outstanding {80 and above}; Exceeds Expectations {79-74}; Acceptable {73-63})
~*~Failing Grades: (P
oor {62-52}; Dreadful {51-41}; Troll {40 and below})
~*~You may drop within the first three weeks without losing your house points after that you will lose your house 20 points. There is a new policy here on HPGoG that a professor can drop you after you have missed a month worth of classes as to keep houses from losing massive points from undedicated members.

. : { Application } : .

Application for Divinations Class
Character Name :
Character House :
Character Year :
CLOSED

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:13 pm
User Image
. : {Students} : .

Gryffindor
Leonette "Leo" Marylin Petronella" {level 1} ((xOmishu_uhsimOx)) biggrin xd 3nodding
Endria {level 1} ((x_Endria_x)) biggrin xd surprised 3nodding whee

Ravenclaw
Miranda {level 1} ((Risky_Popcorn)) biggrin xd surprised 3nodding whee
Alexis {level 1} ((Megs784)) biggrin

Hufflepuff
Amber Moonshade {level 3} ((Stardust Disaster)) biggrin xd surprised whee 3nodding
Bruce {level 1} ((B-A-Y-F-C)) biggrin surprised mrgreen

Slytherin
James Telmar {level 2} ((techpriest35)) biggrin xd surprised whee 3nodding
Sonas {level 1} ((stomysgirl13)) biggrin xd surprised whee 3nodding
Kamalia-Mingan Phelps { Level 2} ((DownAzzLette)) biggrin xd surprised whee 3nodding mrgreen

. : {House Points Earned} : .
User Image
129...............................................................................71

User Image
124...............................................................................233

The following "smilies" are to show complete assignments
biggrin = Lesson 1 Complete
xd = Lesson 2 Complete
whee = Lesson 3 Complete
surprised = Essay Complete
mrgreen = Final Exam Complete
3nodding = Extra Credit Points Given

Oshenukhar

Oshenukhar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:20 pm
User Image
. : { Announcements } : .

~*~ Students Interested in a Progress Report May pm me to get one.

~*~ Extra Credit ~*~ Post once in the class with your tektek, exmaple see the second post.

~*~ Please when Casting a spell use the DICE ROLL GUIDE posted below~*~

~*~ Points will be given on casting spells, not casting spells when asked to can lose you points.

~*~ Class should be back and moving soon, sorry about the delay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:23 pm
User Image
. : { Dice Rolls/ Lessons/ Assignments/ Previous Lessons & Assignments } : .

. : { Dice Rolls } : .

Use this as the guide to your Dice rolls in this classroom failure to do so can lose you points. PLEASE USE THIS TO CAST ALL SPELLS IN THIS CLASS.
Each lesson where dice rolls are required you will be rolling 2(two), 20(twenty) sided dice.

. : { 1-10 } : . Failed at casting
. : {10-19} : . The casting backfired and you can not cast again for 5 minutes (In real life time if you do roll before 5 minutes you will lose 2points for the assignment)
. : {20-29} : . Average casting
. : {30-34} : . Higher than average casting (bonus 1 point on entire assignment)
. : {35-40} : . Epic Win casting if you roll this you earn double points for the spell.
if you roll 30 or higher please pm me, oshenukhar with the page number the cast was on so I am able to give you credit for the roll.

. : { Lessons } : .

LEVEL 1 FINAL
DUE 11-13-10

Okay students I am here to test you on the knowledge in the course please cast each spell learned in the class One(1) time. PM me (oshenukhar) when you have completed the work. Include what a Death Eater is, and who the Voldermort was in the pm. Cast these spells on the practice dummies (1) time each: Expelliarmus, Stupefiy, Episky, Curse of the Bogies, Knockback Jinx (flippendo), Lumos.

Level 2 FINAL
DUE 11-13-10

Okay students I am here to test you on the knowledge in the course please cast each spell learned in the class One(1) time. PM me (oshenukhar) when you have completed the work. In the pm please include the description of your favorite Dark Detector in the pm. Cast these spells: Expelliarmus (cast on the practice dummy), Anapneo (cast on the practice dummy), Stupefy (cast on the practice dummy), Confundo (cast on the practice dummy), Bombarda (cast on the brick wall to the left of the classroom chalkboard).

Level 3 FINAL
DUE 11-13-10

Okay students I am here to test you on the knowledge in the course please cast each spell learned in the class One(1) time. PM me (oshenukhar) when you have completed the work. DO NOT CAST THE UNFORGIVABLE SPELLS AT ALL SEND a description of one of them (of your choice) in the pm after you have cast these spells: Finite Incantatem (Cast on the practice dummy that is dancing in the corner of the classroom), Serpensortia, Parlare Confuso (Cast these on the practice dummies)

. : { Assignments } : .

SEE ABOVE FOR THE FINAL ASSIGNMENT

. : { Previous Lessons & Assignments } : .

Level 1
Lesson 1:
Welcome 1-3 years we will begin with learning what Defense Against the dark Arts is. Defense is defined as a way to protect oneself in combat. The Dark Arts, also known as Dark magic, refers to any type of magic that is mainly used to cause harm. The Dark Arts encompass many spells and actions ranging from using the Unforgivable Curses to hatching Basilisks, and its practice is generally illegal. Practitioners are referred to as Dark wizards or witches, the most prominent and powerful of whom was Lord Voldemort. His followers, known as Death Eaters, also practiced the Dark Arts.

Assignment 1
Read Level 1 Lesson 1 and complete the questions
1. Tell me what defense is in your own words.
2. What are the Darks Arts also known as?
3. What are the followers of Lord Voldermort Called?

Lesson 2:
Welcome back students now we are going to work on the first three spells I expect each and every student to know and use. Each of these spells will come in handy when using defensive magic.
1. Expelliarmus (Disarming Spell)
Pronunciation: ex-pel-ee-AR-mus
Description: This spell is used to disarm another wizard, typically by causing the victim's wand to fly out of reach. It can also throw the target backwards when enough power is put into it. As demonstrated in 1994, simultaneous use of this spell by multiple witches or wizards on a single person can throw the wizard back with much greater force.
Etymology: Possibly a combined form of the Latin expello, "expel", and arma, "weapons" or "tools"; thus, "expel the weapon". Expellamus means "let us expel".

2. Stupefy (Stunning Spell)
Pronunciation: STOO-puh-fye
Description:
Stuns victim. If used too forcefully, it will put the victim in an unconscious state.
Etymology: English stupefy, which means 'to put into a stupor', a temporary vegetative state.
Notes: The physical manifestation of the spell is a beam of red light emanating from the caster's wand. The spell wears off after a short time, and can be countered by Rennervate. Nearly useless on magic-resistant creatures such as dragons, trolls and giants unless more than one Stupefy spell is used at the same time. The force of the spell is additive or perhaps even exponential, and it can cause severe injury if many spells are used on a target that is not normally resistant to its effects. A half-giant, is impervious to this spell - or at least, a lone one.

3. Episkey
Pronunciation: eh-PIS-key
Description: Used to heal relatively minor injuries.
Etymology: The word comes from the Greek "episkeui" which means "repair".
Notes: This spell could belong to a family (or variety) of Healing Spells, in the same way a species of plants belongs to a larger genus.

Answer the questions and CAST Each spell TWICE Successfully.
1. What is the Etymology for the Episkey Spell?
2. What is the effect of the Stupify Spell?
3. What is the spell to disarm someone?

Essay Lesson:
Boggarts
A boggart is a shape-shifting creature that takes on the form of the viewer's worst fear. When facing a boggart, it is best to have someone else along, to try to confuse it. Because of their shape-shifting ability, no one knows what a boggart looks like when it is alone, as it instantly changes when you first see it.
The charm that combats a boggart is Riddikulus. The charm requires a strong mind and good concentration. The incantation and wand movement alone will not affect a boggart. The correct way to perform the charm is to push past the fear, and concentrate on something that will make the boggart look amusing. The charm does not, in fact, repel a Boggart; it just forces it to assume a shape that the caster will find comical, inspiring laughter, which will defeat a boggart.
Boggarts sometimes do not have the same strength or magic as what they imitate, for example, a Boggart transformed into a Dementor has weaker magic than a real Dementor.

The average witch or wizard may come in contact with a Boggart in their life. Boggarts are particularly fond of inhabiting certain places that are dark, such as in wardrobes, the gap beneath beds, and the cupboards under sinks and desks. On at least one occasion, a boggart was found hiding in a grandfather clock. We have a Boggart here in this cabinet for each of you to tackle.

Riddikulus(Boggart-Banishing Spell)
Pronunciation: rih-dih-KYU-lus
Description: A spell used when fighting a Boggart, "Riddikulus" forces the Boggart to take the appearance of an object the caster is focusing on. Best results can be achieved if the caster if focusing on something humorous, with the desire that laughter will weaken the Boggart.

What the practical for this lesson will be is to cast Riddikulus once successfully turning your Boggart into something funny.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
Please ROLL (1) one (4) Four sided dice for this lesson and use this guide to see if you succeeded. you only need to cast the spell once successfully.
1: Failed casting.
2: Poor casting.
3: Average casting.
4: Perfect casting.

As I click open the cabinet door the first student will cast Riddikulus on the boggart in the form of their biggest fear, if the student is successful they may leave and begin the essay, if not they will get in the back of the line until they are successful.

Each student will state what the boggart’s form is and then Cast Riddikulus, on the boggart, and then state what the boggart transformed into in responce to a SUCCESSFULL CASTING

Essay:
Write 2 paragraphs total: one on why the boggart took the form it did for you. The second one on how your boggart was tackled. Please be descriptive in your essays.

You can find more information on Boggarts by following this link: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Boggart

Lesson 3:
The Curse of the Bogies (Mucus ad Nauseam) is a curse that gives the recipient a strong cold, that can make him collapse if not treated.
Incantation: Mucus ad Nauseam
Description: Probably causes monsters to appear randomly and/or attack the target.

The Knockback Jinx is a spell which can be used to 'knock back' an opponent, blast jars and creatures or activate magically charmed switches. The incantation of this spell is Flipendo. It is considered to be a most basic spell and is described as 'utilitarian'. Chapter One in The Standard Book of Spells Grade 1 and 2 are both descriptions of how to cast and use this jinx. It can easily be deflected by a simple Shield or Disarming Charm.
Pronunciation: FLIP-pen-do
Description: The Knock-Back Jinx, used to push the target. If used repeatedly, it may bring down weaker enemies.

Lumos is a charm that causes the tip of the caster's wand to light up. Evidently the light has some heat to it, because Alastor Moody used the light to burn paper. Its counter-spell is Nox. It is taught in first year charms classes. Lumos is found in the Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2.
Pronunciation: LOO-mos
Description: Creates a narrow beam of light that shines from the wand's tip, like a torch.

Cast the Spells learned in this lesson once successfully. and answer the following questions.
1. What does flipendo do?
2. What is the spell used to light the way?
3. What does the Curse of the Bogie do?
4. Would you cast Filpendo to open a window why or why not?
5. What is the Counter Spell to the spell that Lights the way?

Level 2
Lesson 1
Welcome 4-6 years We will review what the level 1 students have completed and then work on newer harder material please remember that you are intermediate students and I would like you to be on time and ready to do magic and use proper wand handling in my class. Also 5th years this is your O.W.L.S year and if you need more assistance please ask the older students or myself for help. Let's begin with the first lesson.
Stupefy (Stunning Spell)
Pronunciation: STOO-puh-fye
Description:
Stuns victim. If used too forcefully, it will put the victim in an unconscious state.
Etymology: English stupefy, which means 'to put into a stupor', a temporary vegetative state.
Notes: The physical manifestation of the spell is a beam of red light emanating from the caster's wand. The spell wears off after a short time, and can be countered by Rennervate. Nearly useless on magic-resistant creatures such as dragons, trolls and giants unless more than one Stupefy spell is used at the same time. The force of the spell is additive or perhaps even exponential, and it can cause severe injury if many spells are used on a target that is not normally resistant to its effects. Hagrid, as a half-giant, is impervious to this spell - or at least, a lone one.

Expelliarmus (Disarming Spell)
Pronunciation: ex-pel-ee-AR-mus
Description: This spell is used to disarm another wizard, typically by causing the victim's wand to fly out of reach. It can also throw the target backwards when enough power is put into it. As demonstrated in 1994, simultaneous use of this spell by multiple witches or wizards on a single person can throw the wizard back with much greater force.
Etymology: Possibly a combined form of the Latin expello, "expel", and arma, "weapons" or "tools"; thus, "expel the weapon". Expellamus means "let us expel".

Anapneo
Pronunciation: ah-NAP-nee-oh
Description:
Clears the target's airway, if blocked.
Etymology: From the Greek verb anapneo, "I breathe in". Compare apnea. Anapneo and Episkey are the first spells obviously derived from Greek.

Assignment 1
Read Level 1 & 2 Lesson 1 and complete the questions; Then cast each spell learned, once sucessfully.
1. Tell me what defense is in your own words.
2. What are the Darks Arts also known as?
3. What are the followers of Lord Voldermort Called?
4. What would be the spell to use to disdarm your opponent?
5. Why would you use Stupefy, and what would it do?
6. What doe Anepo do?

Lesson 2
Now that we know a few basic spells lets take on a few other more complicated spells.

1. Confundo (Confundus Charm)
Pronunciation: con-FUN-doh
Description: Causes the victim to become confused and befuddled.
Etymology: The word "confundus" appears to be derived from the Latin confundere, meaning "to confuse; to perplex", whereas confundo means "I confuse". Similarly, it may also derive from the english word "confound".

2. Bombarda
Pronunciation: bom-bar-dah
Description: Causes a small explosion.

Answer the questions and CAST Each spell as per the assignment.
1.Read about the Episkey Spell and CAST it ONE time successlfully;
2. What does the Confundo Spell do?
3. What is the use of the Bombarda Spell?
4. When would one use Confundo?
5. Why would one use the bomarda spell?
6. What good comes out of knowing the Episkey spell?
7. CAST Bombarda, and Confundo Spells TWICE successfully.

Essay Lesson:
Werewolves
A werewolf is a human who, upon the rising of the full moon, turns into a fearsome near-wolf. Werewolves can be distinguished from regular wolves by several small distinguishing characteristics, such as the pupils of the eyes, snout shape, and tufted tail. At all other times, they appear as normal humans, though will often seem to be ill as the full moon approaches. This condition is caused by infection with lycanthropy, usually occurring when a human is bitten by a transformed werewolf. There is no known cure, but the effects can be lessened with the Wolfsbane Potion. The Wolfsbane Potion is an innovative and complex potion that relieves, but does not cure, the symptoms of lycanthropy. The main ingredient is wolfsbane (also referred to as aconite or monkshood). It was invented by Damocles in the recent past, most likely after the mid-1970s, as it was not available to Remus Lupin in his youth.

Werewolf bites can be fatal, or can lead to life as a werewolf. The practical for this lesson is to administer Wolfsbane potion to a mock werewolf properly and then write the essay,

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
Please ROLL (1) one (4) Four sided dice for this lesson and use this guide to see if you succeeded. you only need to treat the administer the potion once successfully.
1: Made pain worse.
2: Bad treatment.
3: Average treatment pain is lessened to manageable.
4: Perfect treatment, mock werewolf has no pain.

Essay: Write 2 paragraphs total one on recognizing a werewolf, the other on the Wolfsbane potion’s history and effects. Each student will be given a mock werewolf to treat, which must be turned in with your essay.

You can find more information on Werewolves by following this link: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Werewolf

You can find more on the Wolfsbane potion by following this link: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Wolfsbane_Potion

Lesson 3:
A Sneakoscope is a type of Dark Detector that looks like a glass spinning top. It lights up, spins, and whistles if someone is doing something untrustworthy nearby. The Sneakoscope was invented in the eighteenth century by Edgar Stroulger.

A Secrecy Sensor is a type of Dark Detector. It is shaped like an aerial, but it is gold in colour and very squiggly. It vibrates when it detects concealment and lies. The Fake Alastor Moody had one in his office during the 1994–1995 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. However, it was no use to him at the school because it was constantly humming, as (supposedly) students were always nearby telling lies about why they had not completed their homework assignments. However, it is more likely the result of him masquerading as another.

A Foe-Glass is a type of Dark Detector. It looks like a mirror, but instead of a reflection it shows the enemies of its possessor. The figures appear as "shadows" but become clearer and more visible as the enemies get closer to the possessor. When you can see the whites of your enemies eyes the enemy is right behind you.
1. What is the Purrpose of a Foe Glass?
2. Why does a Sneakoscope whistle?
3. What does a Secrecy Sensor do?
4. Why did Professor Moody's Secrecy Sensor not work, NOT according to him?
5. Which of the three devices would you like to own and why?

Level 3
Welcome Seventh years, this is it, your last year and N.E.W.T.S prep! I wish you all luck here in the class. Oh Please feel free to complete any of the assignments you see they can only help to prep you for N.E.W.T.S. This level will be the hardest one you should have in DADA and we will be learning more than just spells but curses and whats behind the spells and curses.

Let's begin with the first lesson.
Finite (Incantatem)
Pronunciation: fi-NEE-tay (in-can-TAH-tem)
Description:
Negates spells or the effects of spells.
Etymology: Latin finire, "to finish": "finite" is the plural imperative form, so it translates to the command, "[all of you] end". Incantatem is apparently intended to recall "incantation"; the Latin verb form incantatum would mean "someone or something enspelled".

Assignment 1
Read Level 2 & 3 Lesson 1 Complete the questions; Then cast each spell learned, once sucessfully.
1. What is the etemology for the Spell Stupefy and where is it derived from?
2. Why would you use Stupefy, and what would it do?
3. What does Anepo do?
4. Describe the affects of Finite Incantatem.
5. What does the etymology for Anepo mean and where was it derived from?
6. What would be the spell to use to disdarm your opponent?

Lesson 2:
A Curse is a type of spell with the most negative effects. Curses are used with the intention of causing harm, control, or even death to the victim. Students of Defence Against the Dark Arts learn how to block them with defensive magic. A few curses that are well known are Serpensortia & Parlare Confuso.

Serpensortia
Pronunciation: ser-pen-SOR-shah, SER-pehn-SOR-tyah
Description: Conjures a serpent from the spellcaster's wand.
Etymology: Latin serpens meaning "a snake" and Latin ortis meaning "source".

Parlare Confuso (Babbling Curse)
Pronunciation: Unknown
Description: The Babbling Curse is not fully understood but it is presumed to cause a person to babble whenever they try to speak.
Etymology: In Italian Parlare is to talk, confuso means confuse, so the Babbling Curse is litterally called Confused Talk.

Answer the questions and CAST Each spell TWICE Successfully.
1. What is the definition of a curse?
2. What is the curse that would conjure a snake from ones wand and what is its etymology?
3. Why would one use Parlare Confuso on someone?
4. What is the etymology of Parlare Confuso?
5. Give an example of a curse.

Essay Lesson:
Dementors
A Dementor was a Dark creature, considered one of the foulest that inhabit the world. Dementors fed off human happiness, and thus caused depression and despair to any who were near them. They could also consume a person's soul, leaving their victims in a permanent vegetative state, and thus were often referred to as soul-sucking fiends. The Ministry of Magic employed Dementors as the guardians of Azkaban until mid-1996, when Lord Voldemort was sighted in the Ministry, and their defection to his side was realized. The Dementors supposedly led the Death Eaters and Voldemort into the Ministry of Magic. After the end of the Second Wizarding War in 1998, the Ministry was reformed, and Minister for Magic Kingsley Shacklebolt ensured that they were not used by the government again
Dementors held no loyalty, except to whomever would provide them with the most people to feed off. They could not be destroyed, though their numbers could be limited if the conditions in which they multiply were reduced.

Expecto Patronum (Patronus Charm)
Pronunciation: ecks-PEK-toh pah-TRO-num
Description: The Patronus Charm is a defensive spell used to conjure an incarnation of the Witch's or Wizard's innermost positive emotions to act as a protector. It can also be used to send messages.

This is going to be a very hard lesson even for you seventh years, as stated the Dementor is one of the foulest that inhabit the world, your practical assignment is to ward off a Dementor, and then write an essay about what you felt when you encountered the Dementor. The ‘Dementor’ you will be using is not a real Dementor but a spell I created to cause the same effects that a Dementor does, and too look like one, the spell I used will not be revealed to you students the only thing I will tell you is that it is not easy and I would not allow you the chance to create such evil.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
Please ROLL (1) one (4) Four sided dice for this lesson and use this guide to see if you succeeded, you only need to cast the spell once successfully.
1: Failed casting.
2: Poor casting.
3: Average cast.
4: Perfect cast.

Essay:Your essay is to be two Paragraphs, in your essay please include what you felt when you encountered the Dementor and how you overcame the Dementor.

You can find more information on Dementors by following this link: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Dementor

Lesson 3:
The Unforgivable Curses are the three most powerful and sinister spells known to the wizarding world, and are tools of the Dark Arts. After the Wizards' Council was reformed into the Ministry of Magic tighter restrictions were placed on the use of certain kinds of magic. The Cruciatus Curse was deemed by the Ministry to be dark magic, and, along with the Imperius and Killing curses, were declared "unforgivable" in 1717. The use of any of these three curses on a fellow human being would result in a life sentence in Azkaban. Using any of these three curses on another human being carries a mandatory life term in Azkaban (unless there is sufficient evidence that the caster did so under the influence of the Imperius Curse). Aurors were permitted to use them during the First Wizarding War. Under Lord Voldemort's regime in 1997-1998, the curses were made legal, though this was repealed following Voldemort's demise.

The Imperius Curse is one of the three Unforgivable Curses. When cast successfully, it places the victim completely under the caster's control, though a person with exceptional strength of will is capable of resisting it. This makes it unique among the unforgivable curses, as it is the only one of them with a known, reliable method of resistance (sacrificial protection does not count, as it protects against all spells from a certain witch or wizard, not the spell itself, regardless of who is casting it). Cursing another human with the Imperius Curse carries a punishment of a life sentence in Azkaban (unless there is sufficient evidence that the caster did so under the influence of the Imperius Curse).

The Imperius Curse was invented during the early middle ages, by dark witches or wizards. The curse was created for coercion and brainwashing for slavery services. The victim of an Imperius Curse is placed in a calm, trance-like state in which all feeling of responsibility and anxiety is banished.If the Imperius Curse is performed poorly, then the victim would have their mind addled, an example being Muggle Junior Minister Herbert Chorley. It seems the damage is long-lasting, as Chorley was sent to St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries to recuperate. Resisting the Imperius Curse is possible, but requires great strength of will and character.t is possible for someone who has been Imperiused to place others under the curse as well.

The Cruciatus Curse (also known as the Torture Curse[1]) is one of the three Unforgivable Curses of the wizarding world. It is a curse of torture, inflicting excruciating pain on a victim. This makes it popular among the Death Eaters for use on both fellow wizards and Muggles. Considering the fact that this curse doesn't physically harm the victim, it possibly stimulates pain receptors. Cursing another human with the Cruciatus Curse carries a punishment of a life sentence in Azkaban (unless there is sufficient evidence that the caster did so under the influence of the Imperius Curse).

The two most well-known victims of this curse are the former Aurors Alice and Frank Longbottom, who were tortured into insanity with it by Death Eaters Bellatrix, Rodolphus, Rabastan Lestrange, and Barty Crouch Jr. The pain caused by the Cruciatus Curse is said to be worse than "one thousand white-hot knives, boring into the skin." This pain can cause permanent mental injury, as in the case of the aforementioned Longbottoms, who spent the rest of their lives in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries because of the trauma the curse caused. Presumably, such permanent effects occur if the victim is exposed to a particularly intense curse for a long period of time. If the curse hits an inanimate object, it may cause it to shatter instead.

The Killing Curse is a curse that causes instantaneous death and is one of the three Unforgivable Curses, as well as being the worst one of the three. There is no known counter-curse or cure for it apart from someone else sacrificing him or herself for the targeted person; however, one may dodge the green bolt, use a physical barrier to block it, or intercept the bolt with another spell. An explosion or green fire may result if the spell hits something other than a living target. Cursing another human with the Killing Curse carries a punishment of a life sentence in Azkaban (unless there is sufficient evidence that the caster did so under the influence of the Imperius Curse).

The only wizard known to survive this deadly curse is Harry Potter. Lord Voldemort was famous for using this curse regularly and indiscriminately.

1. What makes these spells 'Unforgivable' and when where they made 'Unfogiveable?
2. What are the effects of the Imperious Curse?
3. When hit with the Killing Curse what happens (detail please)?
4. what is the purpose of the Cruciatus Curse and who are two well known victims?
5. Why were these spells created (in general)?

Oshenukhar

Arashi V6 Dream

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:01 pm
Application for DADA:

Character Name : Ai Nakamura
Character House : Ravenclaw
Character Year : First Year

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:21 pm
████████ ██ █ ▍▍❤

Character Name : Leonette "Leo" Marylin Petronella
Character House : Gryffindor
Character Year : 1st year

❤ ▍▍ █ ██ ████████

xOmishu_uhsimOx

9,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Nite of Storms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:33 pm
Character Name : Sonas
Character House : Slytherin
Character Year :2nd
((Naka: You forgots your house color sweatdrop ))

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Character Name :james telemar
Character House :slytherin
Character Year :7th
lesson applying for: level1-2

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150