Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Toning shoes potentially harmful

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:18 am
I ran across this article today about all the new toning sneakers that have been coming out on the market.

A Revolutionary Sneaker or Overhyped Gimmick?

Some of the highlights of the article:
-Balance issues can lead to falls with these shoes and have led to some serious injuries such as broken ankles.
-Most of the available research of the shoes has been done by the companies themselves rather than independent labs.
-The shoes require a certain amount of flexibility in the Achilles tendon which, if you're lacking, could lead to inflammation.

Regardless of whether they're truly useful or not, I think what's really important here is that once again we're reminded that there's no magic bullet for losing weight and getting in shape and you can't believe everything you read. Do your own research and get informed so that you can make the right decisions for yourself and your body.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:19 am
I haven't read the whole article (part of it though) but I'm not really surprised. My first impression of the idea of toning shoes, even without the article, is that in order to work the muscles they must be constructed in a way that isn't made for comfort or for the body's natural movement. But I don't know much about them.

I think Nike Free is a runner's shoe that's developed to 'tone' the feet (dunno about the rest of the body), but rather then being structured to do so it's the opposite: the latest model isn't particularly structured nor cushioned (maybe a slight amount of cushioning but it's made, you know, for running), and is flexible so as to replicate a barefoot movement (I think an older model offers some support for the arch). They don't try to change the gait, but the foot does flex while wearing them. Those might be worth looking into for whoever's interested.  

Sunsway

pigeonsoup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:25 pm
See, I knew there was a catch to those dang ugly shoes whee People, if you want to lose weight by walking/jogging, you can do without these shoes. You want to tone up? Do squats and lunges and other exercises meant for your legs and rear. These shoes are really pointless in my opinion. No magic shoes are going to make it so you can lose weight without hard work.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:20 am
Sunsway
I think Nike Free is a runner's shoe that's developed to 'tone' the feet (dunno about the rest of the body), but rather then being structured to do so it's the opposite: the latest model isn't particularly structured nor cushioned (maybe a slight amount of cushioning but it's made, you know, for running), and is flexible so as to replicate a barefoot movement (I think an older model offers some support for the arch). They don't try to change the gait, but the foot does flex while wearing them. Those might be worth looking into for whoever's interested.

My understanding of the Nike Free shoes is that they're Nike's answer to the various models of "shoe" offered by Vibram Five Fingers. It's "minimalist" footwear which is basically just intended to protect your feet from nicks, cuts, and abrasions caused by potential debris and doesn't really do anything to cushion or support your feet. They essentially force you to "run lighter" because you have to rely on your body's own cushioning mechanisms rather than artificial shock absorption from a shoe.

I have to admit that I'm curious about barefoot running and do wonder about relearning an arguably more natural gate, but I also know that it's not something to just launch myself into without a lot of research and a lot of planning with how I'm going to introduce my body to the new style.  

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Roslin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:56 am
I kind of had to roll my eyes at them when they came out. Not only are they ugly they have warnings that you should only wear them 30 minutes at a time.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:34 pm
well, i have a $20 knockoff pair(my mom's, actually), & they're the only pair of athletic shoes i have, & i'm kinda broke, so... sucks for me, i guess.

pinkcatminht

Testicular Diabeetus
Vice Captain

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:25 pm
I have a pair of Shape Up's I have never fell down or had any pain at all.
I wear them all the time and nothing bad has ever happened to me.
I still plan on wearing them regardless of the what if's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:53 pm
A lot of the hype for weight loss is that if you drop $100 on a new pair of shoes you're going to use them, so people get out and walk more. I don't know that the shoe does much, if anything for you, but if it encourages you to get out there and walk I say go for it!

I have a $30 K-Mart Knockoff that I used for a little while, but they're too bulky to go outside in haha.

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:29 pm
I dont really get into shoes like that. I go with what I can afford, and what feels comfortable to me. in the past three years I have been having a terrible pain in my left ankle. lately the other ankle does it too. I went to the Podiatrist and he gave me some inserts for any shoes I wear. I pick Land's End shoes, and they are incredibly comfortable, last a longer time than a lot of shoes sold in stores, and they are usually affordable depending on what your budget is.

my shoes that I wear a lot arent meant for toning but they are meant for biking, walking, running or jogging and anything else shoes are to do. They are some of the most comfortable ones I have worn.

I have tried pairs of shoes that are for toning and I never really liked the feel of them, but I guess it all depends on what your definition of comfortable is. my orthodics actually are nice to me, and feel great with my already comfy shoes. I am pleased to say that with them we have walked a few miles everyday to work.

my bother's girlfriend wears sketchers toners and I dont know if they work for her or not. she doesnt really talk to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:35 pm
I have seen stupider gimmicks designed to grab people's money. I'm sad that this one could be potentially harmful.  

Tandahda
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:52 am
I have to say I kind of liked the IDEA. It's not that I'm lazy and don't want to work out, I saw it as a constant workout. Sort of like, walking everywhere on your tippy toes to tone your calves. BUT, I sort of figure that the result would be extremely minimal and that it wasn't worth the money.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:41 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I have to say I kind of liked the IDEA. It's not that I'm lazy and don't want to work out, I saw it as a constant workout. Sort of like, walking everywhere on your tippy toes to tone your calves. BUT, I sort of figure that the result would be extremely minimal and that it wasn't worth the money.

Constantly doing something which is not part of how your body normally functions leads to some bad stuff. For example, being on your tip toes all the time like you mentioned can, over time, lead to shortened Achilles tendons which would then make it difficult, if not impossible, and PAINFUL to walk flat-footed again.

The toning shoes are also not intended to be worn all the time.  

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

pigeonsoup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:54 am
My boyfriends mom is a fitness instructor and teaches Zumba classes, and she actually had to post a notice online telling people to stop wearing them to her classes. Like, you could seriously injure yourself wearing them and doing ANYTHING aside from walking. Not good.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games