Reply Life Issues & Fashion
Piercing Help - Advice Needed

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Satan on Speed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:48 am
If you're squeamish, you may not want to read this.

I got my tongue pierced last Wednesday. It seems to be healing fine, the swelling is gone and it stop growing that white patch of skin-like stuff. There's one issue that really unnerves me however. It randomly gushes blood for up to 2 minutes.

The first time it happened was about the 3rd or 4th day i'd had it, I was playing Halo3 with my boyfriend. I may have been sucking on it, not paying attention. I'm not certain. But I rushed to the bathroom and calmly swished with cold water until it slowed and stopped. There was enough blood to coat the sink and then some. The water I spat out would still be bright red, not diluted pink. It bled for around 2 minutes, no dizziness. When it did start to slow it would start oozing a thick clear fluid that would wrap around the barbell. I actually gently removed the strings of clear stuff and it didn't start bleeding again.

It happened the next night while I was talking. I fairly sure that I wasn't sucking or putting too much pressure on it. Same thing, cold water, rinse, repeat for the same amount of time.

It didn't do it for a few days but this morning I was partially awake and noticed my mouth was full of liquid. Being half asleep it had no taste. Was I drooling? Nope. I stuck a finger in my mouth (I know that's a no-no, but I was also half asleep hrere.) and even in the dark I could see it was red. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. This time I was scared, and actually got dizzy enough to have to sit down. I think the dizziness was from panic, the bleeding lasted the same amount of time as before and I hadn't really been dizzy the other times it happened.

It was done by a professional. I rinse regularly with Biotene, take multivitamins when I remember, and drink lots of vitamin C. I do wake up in the morning when it hasn't happened with dry blood on my lips and teeth but only a little. It could be happening in my sleep as well, but i'm not sure. I read that if the piercer had hit anything major the bleeding wouldn't stop and i'd probably already be dead. The fact that it lasts about the same amount of time every time (we havent actually timed it) makes me think it might not be serious, but i'm still concerned. I plan on calling the guy who did it today, but I wanted some opinions. Has this ever happened to any of you who have your tongue pierced?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:39 am
When it bleeds, press it firmly with a clean cloth for half an hour. If it continues to bleed after that, go to the hospital.  

Sadist Sagittarius

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:45 am
I had my tongue pierced about a year ago, and I never had a problem with it bleeding. However, for the first couple weeks, I was also really careful to not play with it and avoid talking as much as possible. The biggest problem might just be the fact that you are playing with it, and accidentally tearing the healing tissue. I have no idea what that clear fluid is however. The best thing you can do is call your piercer and maybe a doctor to hear their opinions.

Also, even though you probably are, avoid anticoagulants like aspirin and anything containing alcohol.

Whatever the case, I hope it's nothing difficult to treat and that you can keep the piercing.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:39 pm
I called my piercing guy the afternoon of the day I started this thread and he said I should be okay.

I was.
For a few days.

I had to call an ambulance at 5am today because I woke up again with it bleeding and refused to stop this time. They rushed me to the hospital where they removed the barbell and stitched up the top of the hole. I lost enough blood to be a little dizzy and need an IV (of saline, not blood) it would have been worse if I hadn't called as soon as I did.

I'm not sure if I should be upset with my piercer of if I should just consider it a fluke. I know many people with their tongues pierced by the same guy who were fine. A friend of mine got hers the day after and she's fine.

I am dissapointed that I lost this piercing but hey, i'm still alive. I don't know if I could ever have this done again if I so desired.

Satan on Speed

Swann

5,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:02 am
Mine never did that, I had the barbell come out in the first few days cause my tongue was so swollen but I never had the bleeding problem except when it was initially done. Try switching to rinsing with just warm salt water you may be reacting to your rinse. I keep all my piercings o natural with the warm salt water  
Life Issues & Fashion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games