Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Article: sleep deprivation contributes to weight gain

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sunsway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:09 am
Quote:
While being overweight is most often caused by what we eat, how much food we consume, genetics and exercise, research suggests that not getting enough shut-eye each night is also linked to obesity.

Research from Columbia University, conducted in 2004, found that people who get at least seven hours of sleep each night have less body fat than people who sleep less.

There is a growing trend of people sleeping less because of the ever-increasing cost of living — people are now working longer hours and taking on two or three jobs to cover costs, which are leaving little time to sleep and keep their body fit and healthy.

Researchers have discovered that people who sleep less than four hours a night are 73 percent more likely to be obese. People who get five hours are 50 percent more prone to being overweight and 23 percent for those who sleep for around six hours.

This is caused by an imbalance in appetite hormones leptin and ghrelin. Leptin regulates the appetite and tells the brain how much energy is available in the body and the hormone grehlin makes you want to eat. So when you don't get enough sleep, your body has too little leptin and too much ghrelin, hence making sleepy people turn to food.

"The metabolic regulatory system may have evolved to motivate humans to store fat during summer months when the nights are shorter and food is plentiful, which was a survival mechanism for the body to prepare for the dark winter months when food would not be as plentiful," leading team researcher Dr James Gangwisch told the BBC News in the UK.

"As a result, sleeping less could serve as a trigger to the body to increase food intake and store fat."

Here are a few tips to find out if you're sleep deprived

1. If you fall straight into a state of sleep when you hit the pillow. Normally it should take 15 to 20 minutes for a healthy person to begin sleeping a night.

2. If you feel chronically tired, leaving no time or energy for exercise.

3. If you feel drowsy and lethargic for a period of time through the day — most common in the mornings.

4. If you're always thinking you're hungry and turning to food (or caffeine) to help keep you energised.

So while healthy eating and exercise are key to maintaining a healthy weight, at least seven hours of sleep a night is also important.

Article from ninemsn.com.au (an Australian channel). But, seriously? I always thought that getting less sleep -- while definitely not healthy -- actually means that you burn more energy. I didn't think that it affected appetite. I know I don't always get my eight hours in.

Anyway, I'm sure that this is not news to many people but nevertheless it's an interesting tidbit so I thought I'd share. =)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:03 pm
Another side to this is that, when you're sleep deprived, your adrenals pump out lots of adrenaline to help keep you awake. (That's why you might feel jittery or jumpy when you haven't slept well.) So with all that adrenaline in your system, you're constantly primed for activity and that's a difficult/stressful state for your body to be in. And when you're stressed, your body releases cortisol which encourages fat storage and ups your desire to eat.  

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 am
Sleep is also important for helping your body repair. If you exercise, you do damage to the body (like building muscle) and it needs to repair. If not repaired your next exercise session won't be as effective.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 pm
User Image

Wow...
i didn't know that lack of sleep made you more prone to being over weight.
I'm going to bead early instead of midnight.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus
Vice Captain

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Dizzy Aquarius

Lonely Lunatic

12,350 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:09 pm
hmmm.... well this semester I plan to try a reg. sleep schedule. I do actually wake up groggy, and lethargic. though lately I haven't been able to convince myself to eat. when I do eat, if I don't eat my oatmeal every morning before work or school I actually DO feel sick, and really tired by the time I get to work or school. but I'm going to start getting at least 8hours of sleep a night from now on, and maybe go to bed by midnight so I can get up by 8 or 9am.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games