Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Trouble with The Story of Hrafnkell, Frey's Preist

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:26 pm
So I'm reading The Story of Hrafnkell, Frey's Priest and I'm having issues with placing people along a timeline. This is the copy I'm using: http://www.sagadb.org/hrafnkels_saga_freysgoda.en#1 .

I just need some tips as to recognize who's someone's father/someone's son, who owns what land, and what goes in what time line. If I get the who's who and who owns what down, I think the rest will kind of fall into place.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:39 pm
Okay, so..

A guy called Hallfreðr crashes a boat into Iceland, bringing with him his son Hrafnkell (15yo).

Hrafnkell grows up, gets married (Oddbjörg), has kids (Thórir and Ásbjörn) and a dog horse (Freymane) which he shared with his bestest friend Frey. I think they mean the god, but I'm not sure.

There's a dude called Bjarni who has two kids called Sámr and Eyvindr, the latter of which went and bothered people in Arabia for a while.

Bjarni's brother on the other hand, Thorbjörn, has a kid called Einarr - Actually, he had more, but they're unimportant to the story, it seems - and he tells the lad to ******** off, because he's the most capable of his children and will have the least trouble finding a good place to work/live at.

Einarr's all "Well, thanks for nothing, dad. D<" at the late night notice, and goes on over to Hrafnkell who's either his dad's age or at the very least older than Einarr himself.

Hrafnkell is a bit of a weird fellow, but he's okay when you're one of his people, it seems. He hires Einarr to watch his sheep on the condition that he never ride Hrafnkell and Frey's horse which skips about in that region.

Einarr loses some of the sheep, has to go look for them, fails utterly, spies Freymane and decides that there's no way that Hrafnkell is ever going to know if he rode the bloody horse or not - because, seriously, what're the odds (they didn't have enough movies back in the day to know the odds are always in favour of them being found out in these types of stories) - and rides it!

Without express permission.

Rides it into exhaustion, but hey! Found all the sheep, right? So, totally awesome.

Except that dumb horse isn't as dumb as all that and exhausts itself even more just getting to where Hrafnkell was having an afternoon beer.

Hrafnkell was all "D
So then Einarr got killed for it and Hrafnkell put the body up somewhere neat.

Thorbjörn - Einarr's dad - is all afrazzle at the news and rides on over to Hrafnkell to go "I SUE YOU! D<" but Hrafnkell says "Chill, man, I'm willing to settle and pay you lots of monies" (but not weregild, cause he dun do that, man..). Thorbjörn apparently doesn't know a good thing when he sees it and refuses.

Hrafnkell then decides that that's Thorbjörn's loss and tells him to piss off.

Thorbjörn goes over to his brother, Bjarni and calls him a coward for not wanting to help him in the legal matters that him calling out Hrafnkell entail.

He then went on to bother Bjarni's kid, Sámr and talked him into handling the matter for him. Man, this Thorbjörn dude isn't a very nice dude, I'm getting the impression..

Sometime later, Sámr went and gathered some men and cried "MANSLAUGHTER!" at Hrafnkell, who, admittedly, had to laugh a little at that, but he got subpoenad to the Þing.

Loads of people showed up, both at Sámr and Hrafnkell's invitation. For some reason, Sámr gave his dudes second-hand weaponry and other stuff.

There were booths, then, at the Þing, but none of the chieftains were willing to go up against Hrafnkell, cause he was a big bad a** lawyer-priest on Frey's side, apparently.

Thorbjörn was a mopey b*****d at Sámr about it the next morning, who basically went "I told you so" when they saw someone who might be of use.

They talked this dude called Thorkell into helping them talk to his brother Thorgeirr for them.

Now, I think I kind of like Thorkell, cause he told Thorbjörn to trip on purpose and aggravate Thorgeirr's hurt foot, which Sámr and him agree to, even if Sámr thinks the idea is..

.. weird.

.. Okay, I'm going to give up for now. XD I need sleep.

I don't even know if you still need this, but whatever. It's somewhat amusing working through the story, and I suppose I hadn't read it yet, so! biggrin  

Maze

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:43 pm
Thank you so much! Now that I've read it and discussed it, reading someone else's "cliff notes" on it helps to put a lot of stuff into perspective.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games