Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Would love some critique and help. :3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IAMONAN

5,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:28 pm
Ello govnahz~ I would really appreciate it if some of you would give me some critique on my art work. I've been drawing seriously for about a year now, but in all honesty I haven't been practicing daily. Heres my DA gallery. [click] Pick a favorite, or pick your least favorite. I really need to work on anatomy and among other things. Don't be afraid to give strong critique; not too harsh though. .____.;

On a side note I have this huge problem when I draw. This is always the number one thing I worry about 24/7. If I were to say draw a portrait, to me the face would look normal, but if I were to flip it, it would look really deformed. Example~
User Image
Has anyone experienced this problem before? I usually draw sitting on my bed, could that be the issue?
-Thanks for the help guys. :3  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 pm
That's what we do to see our mistakes. If it doesn't look right when you flip it, then something was off when you drew it the other way.

It's not a problem, it's just part of the process.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Yamiko

Shy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:42 pm
You need to get some facial proportions down first, based on what you presented here.

Start with the general structure of the skull first before adding details.

-Proportions: The length from the eyes to the top of the head is equal to the length from the eyes to the bottom of the chin. Be careful with proportions, or else no matter what you do, something will look wrong if the initial structure is off.

-Nose: As for the nose, its appearance really depends on where the light is coming from. I'm a bit confused about the shape you drew for the nose.

-Sketch posturing: Be careful with what angle you're drawing from because the angle at what you draw can cause some sort of perspective distortion. (I noticed my art seemed stretched vertically when I drew from a weird angle.) Here's something I was reading about concerning posturing while drawing: link on sketch posturing  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:08 pm
Thanks Yamiko for bringing sketch posturing to my attention. I was going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong. I'll be sure to check the link out. As for the shape of the nose, it was just a guideline to help me form the nose as I colored. The picture I posted is not the finished version.  

IAMONAN

5,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items