Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
NEED REDLINE

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

owl1989

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:07 pm
my shoulders are messed up
especially the left one sad

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:27 am
I saw this one in PP. I think the barbie anime body is what's working against you. In order for an androgynous male to still look male, his physique must communicate male. Width of shoulders. The weave of muscle. His neck and clavicle tend to be much more defined. Pay careful attention to these or he will always look like a girl.

Example This guy is very feminine, down to having female clothes and hair. I had to make sure to define the male traits of his form so people know this is not a woman.

For a more realistic example:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

He's thin, so you can see how his muscles weave into each other without him having them be very developed. I think the main thing here is the lack of his deltoids. Males in general have visible deltoids, no matter how thin, fat, or strong. You can also see the trapezius clearly on the very thin and effeminate male frame. This may just be an issue of learning muscle structure and it will correct itself as you become more familiar with it.

User Image

Don't worry so much about learning all the names. Focus on the shapes and how and where they connect with each other.

User Image
User Image

For comparison, here is a slender female. Notice that her deltoids are much less defined. You can see them, but you don't really see the weave of how they flow into her arms and chest.

User Image  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas