Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Kaneko's Art [Updated 01/24/11]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaneko Kawagishi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:21 am
Hello! I'm Kaneko, you can all call me Euro.
I have been drawing for a good two or three years now and find that without proper critique, I'm not really getting anywhere.

I am currently taking the art program at my high school and am constantly digging around the internet for tutorials.
My main goal at the moment is working on anatomy and shading clothes.

My DA is here.

Here's the most recent piece I've done that I would love to have critiqued. Please note though, the background was just a rushed add on so I know that it could use major work.

User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:26 am
In image 1, the boys shoulder seems to be jutting too far forward. It gives the sense of that shoulder being dislocated, at least in my opinion. I think if you have the shoulder more relaxed and set back a little ways like in the female figure, it would give that piece a much more natural flow.

The arms on figure 1 seem a little long as well and disproportionate to the overall figure. Maybe see what shortening them will do? And in figure two, the reaching arm seems to have the disproportionate feel as well, though I think that may be because it's too thin compared to the other arm and the odd bend of that wrist seems to be adding some length to the arm as well.

I think you've got a good idea of composition, but I see a lot of 'negative' space, mostly in the last piece of the boy on the couch. Now I'm not sure if that was intentional, but aesthetically I think it detracts from the piece as a whole since negative/ white space has a habit of distracting the eye and making things feel unbalanced. I think if you crop the piece a small bit, that would help give the piece a lot more balance.

And right now that's all I can think of cause I'm about to faceplant on my keyboard. xD Hope all that helps a bit.  

Azilie Ryld

4,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150

Kaneko Kawagishi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17 am
I see what you mean with negative space. I'll take it into account with future pictures.

And oh geez, I didn't even notice the awkward bend in the girls arm D: Time to fix a lot up and work on arms and wrists! Thank you!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:18 pm
Updated the front post!

VERY old art:
User Image
User ImageUser Image  

Kaneko Kawagishi

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items