Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Azi's Work

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azilie Ryld

4,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:34 am
H'okay. So I'm new here. A graduated graphic design student with an Associates degree. Now while I love web design, I love illustration even more, but I really want to improve my abilities. Further schooling isn't possible at the moment, so I'm sort of going the self teaching route between tutorials and what books I can afford. Most of my work is done in sketchbooks first, then scanned (or photographed with a camera phone if I'm away from home) and brought into software like Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop or Paint Tool Sai. Depending on what I want done, I use a mix of the three programs.

Now, since most of these pieces are large, I'm going to give links rather than kill people's bandwidth by loading a thread full of pictures. And yes, I have an anime style. I'm really trying to get out of it but fail at every turn. ><

Playing Drow

Cute Little Murder Machine

Lutain

Zalarin Xorlarrin Tuin

Owlexander Chibi

Visia Sadei

Concept Art - kinda nude?

Monster behind a Mask

Catch a Falling Star~

Pixie party

View from Heaven

Comic page Test

Visia

Shinoski

Comicbook Cover

Furcadia Pixel art - Azilie Port

And lastly, Website design. Most of these are for roleplay characters, but all incorporate use of HTML, XHTML and CSS script. Like illustration, I'm self teaching myself more about these coding languages. W3 schools has been a lifesaver, but it's still time consuming and I'm quite sure that my code is a bloody mess compared to other sites. (And ultiamtely my goal is to learn PHP, but that's a long way off.)

Visia Sadei
Azilie
Shimenawa

So any critiques would be beyond welcome and appreciated. I've been working on portfolio stuff for the past few months, but I'm a stickler for perfection and I really want to have a portfolio that can possibly get me into another college or find me an entry level job or internship.

Much thanks!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:43 pm
Your artwork is really nice but a few of them look to be saved in .jpg which is never good since it distorts the color to much.
Also, it looks like you're using the grass brush that comes with photoshop. For example, in Catch a Falling Star, the edges of the grass are just clones of each other which, to me, throws off the picture together. Start getting comfortable drawing grass yourself.
Here are some really nice grass tutorials: 1 2 3
It might take longer to do it yourself but its a nice feeling when you finish it and know that you didn't use brushes.
Also, your hands tend to "melt" together in some pictures. Try to break out of that habit since it looks sort of awkward, like they were sewn together. Try drawing your own hands and looking at hands from magazine's for reference. A great place for practice is in posemaniacs. Under Tools, click Hands for Drawing and choose from the right for different hands to draw. A little warning though, i don't know if it's just my own computer but the first image it opens is nude.

I've taken a look at your websites. They are very nice and I applaud you for taking the time to make them. I know myself that it's a bit time consuming.
I can't say much for Visia's site since it's still under construction but if you can, try widening the info box since when you click to the signature book it overlaps the purple border.
In Azilie's website, it looks like you're using Times New Roman. Times New Roman is normally the default for a lot of programs so when people see it, it comes off as lazy. Take the time to find a different, complimenting font to match the other font. Also in Azilie's website, there's the #003399 blue color that doesn't really fit in with background but that could just be me. And it doesn't really matter much but in Gallery, Original is spelled wrong which looks like you didn't take time to spell check to people who are visiting the site.
With Shimenawa's site, again, it's under construction so I can't say much but one thing I'd recommend is add a nice backround that compliments the banner but doesn't detract from the info.

I hope this helps and sorry I didn't say much on the art, I'm still learning myself.  

Kaneko Kawagishi

Yamiko

Shy Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:44 pm
I think you draw hands, feet, and foreshortening well!

And I have some critiques one of your works.

Critiques for Shinoski drawing
- While drawing the face in profile view, the ear should be placed mid-line on the skull.

- The eye in profile should have a triangular-ish appearance to it because the eyelids are just two pieces of skin wrapped over the spherical projection of the eye. Try drawing an isolated eyeball with the eyelids over it from the side so you can eventually simplify it to fit your anime style. You can even try to watch some anime or look through manga to observe how other artists draw the eyes in profile.

-The iris should also be more like a gum-drop shape rather than a round shape due to the fact the cornea projects out a bit.

Other notes
If it's alright with you, I might try to redline your work later on.
The muscles of the left arm may need a little more work, so it would help to look at posemaniacs just to see how the arm muscles might look at various angles.

Helpful Resources
Tutorial on drawing the profile
Tutorial of on the eye in profile view
Tutorial showing how cornea projects outward  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out