Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Last Resort Motivation?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

out of the woods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:53 pm
First I want to say that know that it's usually difficult for people to start up exercising when they never took part in such activities before, but this is a bit of a different story. I strongly want to lose weight, and haven't any real problem with the act of exercising, but for some reason I can never get myself to start doing it.

I'll write down plans in a notebook, schedules with actual times and dates, schedules that are more free for choosing, and no matter how many times I do, I never actually do anything. I always end up sitting around, saying I'll start tomorrow, start tomorrow, that it won't make a difference if I wait another day. I'd say it's laziness, but like I said, I don't really mind moving around once it's going on, and I don't have anything else to do anyway, so I don't know why I don't.

It's as if I am mentally incapable of getting myself to the point of starting something, even when I give myself talks about how I should get off of my ace and just do it. This is all of the time, though it's especially prominent in the morning. I give in to that morning drowsiness, when I know if I get out of bed for at least five minutes, I'll be fine.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Seriously, I'm getting on my own nerves and I don't know how to force myself to follow through and not damn procrastinate every single day. I've gotten nothing accomplished. For no reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:21 am
Sometimes its just a matter of overcoming it. What gets you out of bed to go to school or work in the morning? Fear of reprisal. Try to find a friend to go to the gym with you/do runs/exercise. That will help you with accountability. And other than that, the only thing I can think of is not waiting.

When you're writing down plans and motivation, you could be just getting up and doing something. Instead of writing it down, go on a walk. It could be that you don't do well with plans. I know I don't. My plans are pretty loose, 'get x number of specific work outs per week' and then whatever else I decide, riding my bike instead of the bus, or other such things. You may need a more spontaneous approach.

Its hard, but you'll get there eventually.  

Tandahda
Crew

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:49 pm
Don't bother making schedules or plans when the motivation hits. When you're thinking "I should go do something" go do it right then and there.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:34 pm
Just do it. Just get up, and do it. Don't think about it, or you won't do it.

Those 30 minutes you spent writing out plans was procrastination. It's easier to write out about exercise than get up and do it.

I know, because I'm guilty of the same thing. You just really have to be impulsive and do it.

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

Il L o l l i-x-R o t lI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:05 pm
I used to be exactly the same. ):
But that was until I came across a certain exercise video aha!
Now I love to exercise. Like said, its just a get up and do it, don't even think about it.
That's what I did when I tried Zumba (video mentioned) for the first time (:
Now I can't stop! That stuff is so fun ahaha!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:05 pm
"When I run, I am running as if I am running towards someone attacking my family. When I lift, I am lifting the weight that is about to crush my child. Every workout you do is preparation for a time where it really matters. If you do not train like someone's life depends on you, what will you do when one does?"

That is actually great motivation for me.  

pernicious toxic

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games