Reply General Discussion
"The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:43 pm
I know there's a thread titled "Any Good Books?", but I wanted to give this book it's own thread.

I picked up "The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry" today at the library hoping to find some juicy Beatnik poetry and was more than impressed. To my surprise, this is possibly one of the best poetry anthologies that I've come across. It includes all the usuals - Keroauc, Ginsberg, Cassady, Burroughs, etc., and, but certainly not limited to, Jack Micheline, Sapphire, d.a levy, Tupac, Walt Whitman, Diane diPrima, ol' Bobby Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Jackson Pollock, Tom Waits, James Dean, Alan Kaufman (the editor of the book), Richard Pryor, Jim Morrison, Lou Reed, Ken Kesey, Che Guevera, Leonard Cohen, Janis Joplin, Hunter S. Thompson, Abbie Hoffman, and so on. These are just some of the more famous folks. The book includes a good deal of poets and I only covered the tip of the iceberg. The book is broken down into chapters of different outlaws: American Renegades, Slammers, Meat Poets, The Barbarians, The Carma Bums, and The Unbearables.

The book is almost five pounds or so and seeks to give recognition to, as the book jacket announces, the poets who DON'T win awards, who DIDN'T take poetry classes, and who certainly aren't often found in the average poetry anthologies. I highly recommend it. I've only gone through a fraction of its pages and so far am thoroughly pleased and excited! I intend to find a good deal online for it or something and add it to my collection, being as great of a collection that it is in itself.

Discuss:
- "Well, hey! That's sure sounds like a swell book!"
- "Outlaw" poets.
- Other good poetry anthologies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:25 am
OH HAI! I saw that book at the bookstore also. It looked pretty impressive so I picked it up and started reading it. There was also another interesting book next to it. It was for scriptwriting but I found it to be helpful in all fields of writing.

I only got to reading one or two poems in that book before my dad called to me to go home, but they were great poems.

What were some of your favorite in that book?  

Joonbong

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff