Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wait... what?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arden Deschain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:44 pm
I'm reading The Meaning of Witchcraft, and I came across something that doesn't make sense.

of the Goddess: "...the Great Mother, who is also the Eternal Virgin..."

My problem with this is that I don't see the point in an Eternal Virgin. the only reason i could see is if sex taints you, but... that doesn't make sense either. I must be missing something here. I thought fertility was something to be celebrated, something that an "eternal virgin" doesn't invoke. It makes me think of the virgin mary, but... I can't reconcile that with everything else I've read about wicca. Can someone explain what Gardner means by Eternal Virgin?

Many Thanks!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:16 am
While I think this is something that is explained and experienced with the Mysteries, a couple explanations could relate to her nature as it is reflected in all stages of life. It could also relate to the use of the word Virgin to regard a self possessed woman.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:36 am
There is some evidence - mainly in the number of fertility/motherhood deities re-imagined as virgins - that one of the effects of/efforts to devalue women led to women being stripped of their maturity, which includes a sexuality that we were free to exercise without the constraint of males in our lives.

One of the first steps to this would be taking mature goddesses who were sexually autonomous and making them virgins and thus inexperienced and also (presumably) young.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games