Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

speaking of Baptism, Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lazarus The Resurected

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:31 pm
For those of you who don't know (wich is prbably most of you), My girlfriend and I are currently expecting our first child. My mother recently posed the question of wether or not we intended to have the child Baptized (mom's a Catholic, and so is my girlfriend's father). I am against it on the grounds that niether of us are Catholic, or even Christian. I was wondering though, would the Catholic Church even baptize a baby born outside wedlock to a Witch and a Satanist? Also, what are your views on Baptism before the age of reason?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:57 am
I have no clue what the Catholic Church's stance on baptizing an infant that isn't born to a catholic family much less outside of marriage.

About baptizing before the age of reason, I think it's stupid! I don't agree with it. Why baptize an infant? They don't even know what's going on, much less understand the reason why they are being baptized. Baptism has to be a choice that one makes by themselves. It's part of making a covenant with the Lord in my views, so how can an infant do that?  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:47 pm
First of all, congrats on your future baby. smile

Baptizing an infant is the parents' promise to the church to raise the child in a Christian environment until the child can come of an age to decide for themselves. They are taking on the responsibilities of teaching the faith, its tenants and doctrine outside of the setting of the church itself. I believe there's also something in some traditions that say that a child who has been baptized before the age of reason will go directly to heaven if said child dies before reaching that age, but I could be wrong there too. I think baptism before the age of reason has just as much merit as baptism at or after. Most denominations have a confirmation system in place, where are you are essentially re-baptized anyway, and even if your church doesn't, there's nothing to stop you from reaffirming your faith at any time, with or without a ceremony.

That being said, unless you have a real desire to try and educate your newborn about Christianity (and be positive about it), I wouldn't even bother. It seems the grandparents are perfectly able to handle that. If they're really on you about a baptism, I'm pretty sure even the Catholics would allow a grandparent to stand in the place of a mother or father and take on the duties the ceremony demands. Another denomination might allow you and your girlfriend to baptize your child, provided you agreed to the basic idea of raising him/her attuned to the Christian faith, but I'm pretty sure the Catholics are more strict about that. I don't think it matters so much that you're not married as that you're not part of their church.

Don't we have a resident Catholic in this guild? I'd like to have someone to ask instead of going off the little I know myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:15 pm
Ryuu kind of touched on this, but I'll go ahead and repeat.

Infant baptism is typically the family's way of saying that they'll raise their child Christian and the church is to hold them accountable and lift them up to the Lord. If you don't plan on raising your child Catholic, I see no reason for you to baptize the child. That just seems silly.

Now, if you child eventually decides to become Christian of their own free will, then getting baptized would be their own personal choice and it would be an action of accountability for themselves, and less the family.

freelance lover
Crew

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:41 am
1. The Catholic Church would Baptize my baby lovebirds if it thought that doing that gave it a chance of growing up Catholic..... Not to sound like I'm hard on Catholics, but they brought this criticism upon themselves when they decided Confirmation should be as early as third grade.

2. You'd essentially be baptizing the baby just to make other people feel better. Sounds like an awful lot of trouble for something that you don't care about and is according to your beliefs completely unnecessary. Heck, I have my doubts on whether Baptism AS DEFINED BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH is necessary.

3. Congrats.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:14 pm
freelance lover

Infant baptism is typically the family's way of saying that they'll raise their child Christian and the church is to hold them accountable and lift them up to the Lord. If you don't plan on raising your child Catholic, I see no reason for you to baptize the child. That just seems silly.

Now, if you child eventually decides to become Christian of their own free will, then getting baptized would be their own personal choice and it would be an action of accountability for themselves, and less the family.

Lol, if my children (yeah, i'm hoping for a couple more) get "Saved" I'm disowning them.  

Lazarus The Resurected

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:46 am
Lazarus The Resurected
freelance lover

Lol, if my children (yeah, i'm hoping for a couple more) get "Saved" I'm disowning them.

Haha... I think my Dad said the same thing.... He's a catholic, but after years of working for a Fundamentalist Nutjob......

To be fair, the man WAS really insane. He refused to sell cats around Halloween because he claimed they were used around that time in Satanic Rituals.... A moral panic that has no real basis around fact, and yelled at his employees for writing "X Mas" instead of "Christmas". As my Dad said "We only have so much space on the sign outside.

But as long as we are talking about kids of different faith, I got a joke.

A Jewish Man goes to his Rabbi. He says "Rabbi, I have a problem. My Son, he says he is becoming a Christian!"

The Rabbi looks at him, and contemplates. He finally says "I will speak with God on the matter. Come back to see me tomorrow."

The next day, the man goes to the Rabbi. He says "Rabbi, what did God tell you?"

"God says he's having the same problem."  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 am
atualy now that i think of it, if my kids get saved, they'll disown us anyway.  

Lazarus The Resurected

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:50 am
Lazarus The Resurected

Maybe not...

My parent's contemplated disowning me when I told them I converted to the LDS religion.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 pm
Shadows-shine
Lazarus The Resurected

Maybe not...

My parent's contemplated disowning me when I told them I converted to the LDS religion.

LDS?  

Lazarus The Resurected

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 am
Lazarus The Resurected
Shadows-shine
Lazarus The Resurected

Maybe not...

LDS?

Also known as the mormons  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 am
Lazarus The Resurected

Either that, or they'll try to harass you into converting. I tried it on my parents when I was 12 and just didn't understand that I was not presenting them with any new information. I'd just suggest making it pretty clear to them from a young age that their religion will be their own, but you have yours and like it that way. smile  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Lazarus The Resurected

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:50 pm
Shadows-shine
Lazarus The Resurected
Shadows-shine
Lazarus The Resurected

Maybe not...

LDS?

ah. Later Day Saints.
*shudder* mormons.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:33 am
Lazarus The Resurected
Shadows-shine
Lazarus The Resurected
Shadows-shine
Lazarus The Resurected

Maybe not...

LDS?

ah. Later Day Saints.
*shudder* mormons.

Come on. Don't talk about Mormons as if they are as bad as those "Christian Scientists." Anyone whose religion is based on "Don't see the doctor" and "Your kids don't need to get Vaccinated" is a danger to all of us.  

Matt Pniewski

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:58 pm
Matt Pniewski
Lazarus The Resurected
Shadows-shine
Lazarus The Resurected
Shadows-shine
Lazarus The Resurected

Maybe not...

LDS?

ah. Later Day Saints.
*shudder* mormons.

Come on. Don't talk about Mormons as if they are as bad as those "Christian Scientists." Anyone whose religion is based on "Don't see the doctor" and "Your kids don't need to get Vaccinated" is a danger to all of us.

Haha, I've heard about those guys...they're kind of weird...  

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games