Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Queen's Croquet-Ground
Short Story Contest 2010! Winners Announced! Thank you! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

More contests like this?
  Yes!
  Perhaps!
  Maybe...
View Results

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:38 pm
"Bєɢιи αт тнє вєɢιииιиɢ αи∂ ɢo oи тιℓℓ чoυ coмє тo тнє єи∂: тнєи sтoρ."
- тнє кιиɢ

Welcome, everyone, to our 2010 Short Story Writing Contest! This is a chance to test your skills at creative prose and show us all what you can do at your writing-desk. (Or keyboard, in this instance.) The contest will be open for entries starting Sunday, June 6 and ending Friday, August 13. All entries will be scored based on a rubric (outlined in the third post) by four judges, and all genres of literature are welcome.

What are you waiting for? Start writing!

| Welcome | Rules&Guidelines | Scoring Rubric | Judges&Prizes | Entrants|

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:42 pm
Rules & Guidelines

R U L E S !

☆ Above all else, follow Gaia's TOS!!! ☆
☆ ALL WORK MUST BE ORIGINAL. NO EXCEPTIONS! Any stolen or plagiarized work will be immediately disqualified. ☆
☆ No graphic sexual or violent scenes. These violate the TOS and are unacceptable. Also, some profanity may be allowed, but please, give it a purpose - no swearing for simply the sake of swearing. ☆
☆ Any and all collaborations on short stories must be with active members of Gaia, and any and all collaborators must express their permission to have their work entered. However, each prize will be given out to only the member who formally submitted the actual entry, and it will be up to him or her to divide any prizes received as he or she sees fit. ☆
☆ In this thread, no spamming, flaming, or trolling, and keep bumping to a minimum, please. ☆
☆ Please do not quote submissions! We don't want to see the same pieces posted over and over again. ☆
☆ Please fill out the submission form along with the entry. Any entries submitted without the form will not be judged. ☆
☆ You may request to edit your submission at any time, but the deadline for editing/revision is August 10. After that, all entries are considered final drafts and you may not go back and edit. ☆
☆ Do NOT bribe, sweet-talk, or in any way try to gain the favor of any of the judges! It is unfair, and it will get you nowhere. ☆
☆ You may enter as many times as you want! However, each entry is only eligible to win one prize. (Meaning a "best overall" entry cannot also win a "best fantasy" prize.) ☆

S T O R Y lll G U I D E L I N E S !

☆ Stories should be 1 page minimum, 5 pages maximum (on a word processor such as Microsoft Word, normal size and font). It's up to you how succinct you want your story to be, and if you can get the idea across in a single page, that's fine. ☆
☆ Any genre is acceptable, as long as it doesn't violate the TOS. ☆
☆ Stories may be in any tense or person, but please be literate. (In this case, that mostly means "use complete sentences.") ☆
☆ Stories may be about anything at all! They do not have to relate to Alice in Wonderland; nor do they have to relate to any other published book, film, or anything whatsoever. In fact, the more original your story, the better!

☆ Rules and Guidelines may be added to in the near future. ☆

S U B M I S S I O N lll F O R M
[size=10]I've got something to submit!
User Name:
Title of Piece:
Genre of Piece:
Any Comments? [/size]

Please paste your short story below your submission form and post it in this thread. Thank you!

The Night Faery
Captain

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:43 pm
Scoring Rubric

When rating the entries, the judges will be looking at the following criteria:

.:The Idea:.
This is concerned mainly with originality. Did the writer create a new idea or put a new spin on an old one, or did the writer simply create a cookie-cutter story with nothing of its own to sell?

.:Mechanics:.
This means spelling, grammar, vocabulary usage, &c. The technical stuff. We know that brilliant stories don't always have to conform to dictionary and grammar-book standards, but having a readable piece is vital.

.:Characterization:.
How well did the writer form the characters? Do they have well-defined personalities that are clearly expressed through their dialogue and actions, or are their qualities and intentions vague? Do they develop at all over the course of the story?

. razz lot:.
Self-explanatory. This is not the same as originality; an incredibly original idea might have no plot whatsoever when turned into a story. Does the story a beginning, middle, and end? Is there a conflict? &c.

.:Quality:.
Finally, how well is the idea executed? Is the writing crisp, descriptive, &c., or does it falter or vary in quality paragraph by paragraph? Is the dialogue and action rich, or does the story fall flat after the introduction?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:45 pm
Judges & Prizes

T H E lll J U D G E S

1. The Night Faery
2. Shanra the Dragon Bard
3. Corialos
4. [TBA shortly]

T H E lll P R I Z E S

Best Overall: Captain's Stage Rapier
Best Overall (Runner-Up) : Tama's Basket 1st Gen.

S U B C A T E G O R I E S
Best Horror/Thriller: Protective Nightlight
Best Sci-Fi: T-1 Medi-Kit
Best Fantasy: Tiny Pixie Wings
Best Modern Fiction: Kanoko's Frostee Sweets
Best Mystery/Crime: Escheresque
Best Action/Adventure: Limbs of Fury

Estimated total: 250,000 g

PLEASE NOTE: Each subcategory must have at least two entries for a genre prize to be awarded!
PLEASE ALSO NOTE: If you enter a prizewinning story with a genre other than those listed alongside prizes, the judges will award the prize for the genre most closely associated with your entry.

| Welcome | Rules&Guidelines | Scoring Rubric | Judges&Prizes | Entrants |

The Night Faery
Captain

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:47 pm
Entrants

1. Amrielle ("Ring of Death" - fantasy/horror)
2. HimekaLeafNinja ("The Third Alice" - fantasy)
3. Broken_Doll_of_Roses ("Cupcake Poison" - romance)
4. AD Sephy ("Jadesnow the Timeworld: Dreamworld" - thriller/mystery/modern sci-fi)
5. Xanaduhaz ("A Double Dream Life" - fantasy)

| Welcome | Rules&Guidelines | Scoring Rubric | Judges&Prizes | Entrants |

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:31 pm
Reserved

The Night Faery
Captain

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:01 pm
O P E N III F O R III E N T R I E S !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:37 pm
ill try  

i eated some bacon soap

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:06 pm
Awesome! That's the spirit. (:  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:24 pm
that sounds pretty cool ill try to do my best to  

imagInation1hardy

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:16 am
*Returns from... hibernation or something caterpillar-like...*

Heeeeey, so this can be completely original or fan-based?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm
(I'm assuming you weren't in a cocoon, 'cause you're still kinda... a caterpillar... lol.)

It can be completely original, and doesn't need to have anything whatsoever to do with Alice in Wonderland or any other already-published work. In fact, the more original, the better!

The Night Faery
Captain

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:29 am
~Advice from a Caterpillar~

(Yes indeed, I like being a caterpillar. XD )

Okay.. original it is! Ahaha... now I just need some kind of inspiration. o.o

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:04 am
Come on, loves, don't be shy! We'd love to read your stories and give you some nummy pixel awards for them! I made a hole in my pocket the size of Wyoming to get all of those prizes... Don't let them go to waste!! ENTER!  

The Night Faery
Captain

Cat like thief 182

Versatile Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:56 am
I just found out about it, I'm gonna try. I don't know if I can keep any thing I write under 5 pages but I'm gonna work on it. I'm pretty excited.  
The Queen's Croquet-Ground

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff