Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
iScribble Drawing C&C please!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yvienna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:36 pm
I need a critique on this pic: x

( I know the boobs are grotesquely huge, but I'm probably not going to draw big boobs like that ever again. )
Footnotes:

1. The kimono is supposed to be sort of flowing, it's not supposed to be tight-fitting. (aka towards the hips)

2. I messed up on the hair comb, because someone kept on erasing the top of my head.

3. Excuse me for the sketchy lines, this as mostly a colouring practice.

4. Those tiny dots below the boobs are nips

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:41 am
Hey,

I'll see if I can offer some advice...

The image as is works right now for what it is, but after I read what you were going for, I think maybe you didn't convey it all exactly as you'd hoped.

The clothing looks pretty, but actually it doesn't look much like a kimono to me. The only real hints you've given as to what it is are the sash around the waist, and the pattern. You also missed the layered style at the collar/ neck line (one bunch of fabric goes under the other, creating a V) and you also added a broach. That's fine, but it's all detail work that doesn't help the viewer recognize that it's just some random dress that she's wearing. Also, in order to get the fabric to follow her crotch line like that, she'd need to be literally wrapped up in the stuff as if she were wearing pants and not a dress. Fabric just doesn't naturally hang that way otherwise.

The overall anatomy of the piece seems fine to me. If I were looking to nitpick, I'd say that the breasts look a bit uneven. One looks much bigger than the other. You mentioned your words that there are tiny dots for nipples... I don't see anything like that.

On a side note, where are the rest of her arms? I feel like her hands should be popping through the sleeves, even just a little. If you want to avoid hands then you could try extending the sleeves even more. That might help things.

Anyhow... for a sketch and a quick piece, it's cute. It's got a nice feel to it. Mainly what I'd suggest is just doing a few fabric studies. ^_^ See how fabric really behaves when it flows and see how certain things like thickness affect how it contours to different shapes.

Good luck!  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:36 pm
Syrella's already said most of the things I'd also have pointed out anatomy-wise, so I'll just critique the coloring (plus, you also said you made this piece as coloring practice).

I'll give you a tip which is my mantra in coloring style. When shading, don't just use the next darker shade exclusively. I noticed that when shading her red dress, you used the next darker shade of red to indicate folds and creases. Similarly, with the hair, you exclusively used varying shades of purple. For added volume when shading, you could actually use the complementary color at a lower opacity and saturation to shade. This works for any part of an artwork that you're shading- hair, clothes, skin, etc. Try it. ^^

Try searching for 'color theory' on google for more details. I hope this helps!  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games