Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
How do you draw a basic body structure?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

26NinjaFishy26

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:04 pm
I really need to know but, I can't seem to get it right.... stressed  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:50 pm
Start by learning about the skeleton. Then you learn about the muscles. It can be really complicated and imposing, but if you break it down into simple shapes, it's easy.

Have you read any books about drawing people?  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

26NinjaFishy26

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:53 pm
Some books, but they really did not explain what to do.....  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:54 am
Name the books. Also, don't make new threads for these questions. There is a thread specifically for asking questions like this.

OMG HELP  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

26NinjaFishy26

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:35 pm
I don't own any of the books I have read.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:12 pm
Honestly, the best way to learn how the body works is to watch people. A lot. Draw people- start really sketchy, get the proportions down. And build from there. Books should be something to refer to for extra help - supplemental information really - but there is no 'how to' that is going to be better than studying from life.  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

26NinjaFishy26

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:55 pm
Vena
Honestly, the best way to learn how the body works is to watch people. A lot. Draw people- start really sketchy, get the proportions down. And build from there. Books should be something to refer to for extra help - supplemental information really - but there is no 'how to' that is going to be better than studying from life.

Thanks for the truth XD  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:57 am
A lot of the time, when I'm trying to draw someone in a certain pose and can't seem to get it right, I look in the mirror and draw what I see. Sites like posemaniacs.com are helpful, but my drawings tend to turn out best when I look at a real person.  

oSAKApower

Hade Ceyn

5,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:41 pm
Oh-
learning basic shapes to form the body ( like rectangles for bodies, circles for heads) can help you get an idea of where to draw out features and other stuff  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:25 pm
Can always use your own body as a reference and start from there.  

C r y o l i

4,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Kieden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 pm
Andrew Loomis Figure Drawing for all it's Worth

Right click link, click save as, save to desktop, enjoy the book. This is how I learned better anatomy and figure drawing.

For more books by loomis click this link thing thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:58 am
Vena

This is how I learned. I would just go to the library and sit infront of the doors and draw people as they walked around. Or I'd go to the park and draw the people playing soccer or on the jungle gym. It helps a lot. Or even go to Starbucks and sit down and draw peoples expressions.  

Lixae

Timid Fatcat

Mistreena

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 pm
I often use my own body, as odd as that may sound (since I can't see myself without a mirror, and most of the time I'm at school anyways). I basically try to place myself in the position I want and see how my body moves, in order to get the feel of motion or the flow of the body.

Also, pictures. I found a book called "Anatomy for Fantasy Artists" at a local bookstore, and it has both the guidelines for drawing as well as many pictures of a male and female posing in various ways. I often use this as a guide now, because it is so much easier to draw people when you are looking at people. If you are able to, get pictures of the pose you want. I hear there are some pretty good stock photos on DeviantArt as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:17 pm
I make several stickfigure thumbnails with a pose I want.

Then I chop up people into basic shapes in space, depending on the angle I'm going for.
At the same time, I'm trying to keep anatomical proportions in mind.
Loomis books are a good place to start for basic human proportions.  

Yamiko

Shy Lunatic

0Doidle0

Distinct Conversationalist

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:59 pm
There are a few different components to body structure
Like:
muscle structure
bone structure