Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Cameron's Prime Minister! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Plasaar

Versatile Lunatic

13,625 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:12 pm
gonk  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:16 pm
'twas always going to happen.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 am
I still can't help finding it odd the people's worries about the incoming tory government are so often greater than were people's concerns about the previous Labour government.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:38 am
Invictus_88
I still can't help finding it odd the people's worries about the incoming tory government are so often greater than were people's concerns about the previous Labour government.

A lot of people do not trust the Conservative party. It matters not that David Cameron is a very moderate member of his own party, others are twats. That segues into the problem of modern political parties: they are too big and lack ideological purity. Alas, our current system demands that they be large and all encompassing otherwise like minded individuals stand little change of getting into office and influencing policy.

Labour's single biggest failing in that in trying to claim the centre ground and cosy up to businesses, it lost sight of its social responsibility. It has had it's good and bad moments but had grown stale. As with the Conservative party, the Labour party has its own warring factions which will come to a head in the coming leadership election.

This was a good election to lose, if you want to be cynical.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Notable Static

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:58 pm
Love this guild already.

Anyway... God, when Cammy was Prime Minister the first thing that came to my head was "Do a 'Fame' parody!" but I decided against it when I realised their manifesto with the dear Cleggy was no different than anything we've ever been promised ever.

There's no good in it at all. The two parties are so damn different at heart and I'm ashamed Cleggy joined the Torymobile in the first place. Maybe I should give this co-allition a li'l bit o' chance as it's just early days, but they're basically continuing what Brownio and everyone else before him offered on the cards. It's so frustrating.

Cleggington would have given us something even slightly more fresh that we needed, methinks, even though I hate Europe very much. UKIP seems a good way of rebelling without really rebelling for me. When you next see me I shall be on television, arrested for assasination of someone, anyone, who is currently in the Cabinet.

Rant complete.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:23 am
i am disappoint sad  

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

Garwaire

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:16 pm
Better than having Harriet Hard-man, David Mililililililiban, or Ed Balls (tehe..) leading the country. Instead, all they seem to be doing is attacking the Lib Dems for working with the Tories to try repairing their country.

I LOVE the fact that they're not going on too much about the cuts and increase in VAT, when they very much never ruled out they wouldn't do the same thing.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:33 am
"[Invictus_88] is backing Diane Abbott for the Labour leadership. wink
vendredi, à 18:42 · Commenter · J’aime · Masquer le feedback (16)
Flo Parker et Huw Evans aiment ça.

[Invictus_88] The Labour Party - top comedy on the BBC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uMbMJ2EUQ
vendredi, à 18:48 · J’aime ·"

Shamelessly copied from my facebook account, but if you've not seen it yet - click the link!

Invictus_88
Captain

Notable Static

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:53 pm
Admiral Serenity
Better than having Harriet Hard-man, David Mililililililiban, or Ed Balls (tehe..) leading the country. Instead, all they seem to be doing is attacking the Lib Dems for working with the Tories to try repairing their country.

I LOVE the fact that they're not going on too much about the cuts and increase in VAT, when they very much never ruled out they wouldn't do the same thing.

Ay, but my dear Lib Dems got sold out by Cleggington, wanting to join the big boys. I understand it was the best thing for him to do if he wanted a say, but I don't really support the new co-allition as the Tories won't let Cleggius have a say, well, in anything important, anyway.

Back to the party drawing board, methinks. Well, there's not much left for me to support now, and I'm not going BNP...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:00 am
You could always vote Green? smile
I remain optimistic as to the future and would very much like to give the new government a chance. Although I must admit I didn't vote for 25% cuts over the whole of the public sector. stressed

But crazy times call for crazy measures I suppose. But yes, Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'd interested to see what legacy this government will leave.  

Annie Anthrax

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:09 pm
...it does bother me that tories so glibly accuse Labour of having "spent all the money", when the two of them deployed such a burdensome weight of money toward the banks.
It bothers me more that I've caught myself making the same glib accusation.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:03 pm
The situation is annoying. It is a particularly obnoxious bit of spin by the Conservative party.

Basically, if you look at the deficit numbers the country was running a surplus until 2001-2002. At this point we begin to have a deficit so I suspect that the foray into the Middle East was costing us a fair bit of money that was previously not budgeted for. Yet I presume we did not cut back on domestic spending so the deficit remained and slowly grows.

I remember the Conservative party saying that they would match the Labour party for spending. This was during the "Hug a hoodie" and Green Conservatives period where David Cameron is trying to take the edge of Tory history.

Things are fine until the liquidity crisis and the world wide recession begins. Tax revenue falls and the government needs to loan money to the banking sector to keep it afloat. That basically starts a horrible cycle where we have to borrow a crap load to prop up the banks and then borrow more to pay the interest on the debt we have outstanding. So while you can take out the bank bailout from the deficit numbers, the effect of having to borrow even more money remains.

The really scandalous part of all of this are what would have happened had the Conservative party been in government. Firstly, they voted for the war so that spending is still there. They claimed to match Labour's spending so that is still there. Then you can hardly expect them to have regulated the banking sector more closely to protect it from the sub-prime asset collapse (force them to hold back more capital).

Labour's biggest ******** were to be too authoritarian and warlike. The current deficit is because the tax revenues have collapsed, not that we were previously spending too much.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Notable Static

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 am
Invictus_88
...it does bother me that tories so glibly accuse Labour of having "spent all the money", when the two of them deployed such a burdensome weight of money toward the banks.

Haha, nice little hidden comment. But I also find it appropriate to note the only qualification that George Osborne has is in history, yet they've given him the burden of the whole country's economy. Deary me, please don't take note from the past, Mr. Gids.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:41 pm
All this talk about cuts in the private sector isn't exactly comforting when your mum's a teacher... we're gonna be back in England by December, but my mum hasn't been able to find a job yet... confused

It's not like we won't be getting any income because my brother has a job back in England, but still...  

Black Cat Hamlet

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:01 am
Tourniquet Static
Invictus_88

Haha, nice little hidden comment. But I also find it appropriate to note the only qualification that George Osborne has is in history, yet they've given him the burden of the whole country's economy. Deary me, please don't take note from the past, Mr. Gids.

The common counter is that a lot of the past Chancellors with a grounding in economic have been every bit as poor (and often worse) than those without.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff