Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Hari Needs Critique, ya! (roxtarre) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:18 pm
Okay, I just have a few pictures I've done recently that seem pretty good to me, and that's what's got me worried. I don't feel they're perfect, but I can't find anything wrong with them. So, basically, I've lost my objectivity and would like a gentle but honest critique. The things I'm most concerned with are: Anatomy (lol tres originale), color, and general composition.
Piccy One
Piccy Two

Piccy Three (The Newest One)

I'm 15, and have been working with Photoshop and Manga Studio for a little less than a year. Well, Photoshop I've been working with for about a month, but it's similar to Manga Studio...  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:26 pm
Oh, and just a note, the sketchy lines are intentional. :9  

Captain Kolita

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 pm
Helloooo? Am I alone in this world...?  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:04 am
Replies in this guild take awhile. xP Be patient.

If no one has replied yet in the next couple of days, I'll try to write out a critique for you. I just gotta finish with finals before I can do too much extra.

In the meantime, happy drawing!  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:35 pm
Okay. :d I be patient. X9  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:12 am
They are pretty good.
In general, you have a nice grasp of basic anatomy, the color coordination works well. There might be a few things you'd like to consider...

Pic 1/Walking on Air - The first thing that hit me was how thin-looking the characters are. (On pic2 as well.) Or perhaps that was the look you're after. Regarding her left thigh, the angle of it should be more in line towards her left hip to look more natural.

Pic 2/Guitar Heroine - You probably know there wasn't any eyes on the girl, but I felt that I had to mention it anyway. XP The right shoe/foot could be smaller, try to make it more proportional to the left. Her left lower leg would look better angled towards the knee joint - currently it looks like the lower leg is dislocated at the knee.

I'll mention quickly in broad brushstrokes about coloring. Considering the light source (from behind and upper right), make sure you follow that through in your coloring of the person as well.
If light is coming from the top, the top should be lighter, and the shadows at the bottom. If it's a strong light source from behind, both sides of the character should be highlighted, with shadows in the middle.  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:40 pm
Thanks for responding. :] That critique was quite helpful, especially about the guitarist's dislocated knee, I was wondering how to fix the weirdness there. XD  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:18 pm
I really like the first one  

Michael Doubt

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:29 pm
Thanks! ^^ It was fun to draw and color. :3  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 pm
Hey, I don't have time to post a red line or long critique right now, but I can tell you what stood out the most to me.

Don't use lens flare. Many digital artists will joke about "making it shiny desu with lensflare" because it's an overdone filter that makes you look like a beginner. Just stay away from it. If you need a light source, paint in your own.

Hope that helps.  

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:06 pm
Oh god, thanks for letting me know. XD I love lensflare, but I had a feeling....Damn my n00bness sometimes...well I'm working on it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:01 pm
Here's another picture I just did, whatchoo think? My own lightsource here, obviously. XD

http://HariSaysMeh.deviantart.com/art/Plushie-Style-165534816  

Captain Kolita

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:44 pm
I've just looked at your recent piece. I'd like to congratulate you for trying out a rather difficult pose to draw.

For now, I'll be giving you two suggestions on how to improve:

(1) as mentioned earlier by someone who made a crit on your previous works, the limbs are a bit too thin. You could look at some models in posemaniacs where you can check out 3D models of people with full musculature. In particular, the left wrist looks bone thin.

(2) The coloring: instead of just putting heavy shadows on the creases and corners of the major shapes in your drawing, add some gradient shading, maybe using just an airbrush for now just for practice. This will add more volume to your figures, because for now the coloring is still pretty flat. For reference, you could google 'art tutorials light and shade' and you'll get a lot of helpful pages.

Otherwise, I think you have potential to become a good anime artist, keep trying! =)  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:38 am
Pic 1/Walking on Air - the girl was too pale and her iris are constricted too. She looks more like in a shock that walking in air. I'm so sorry, don't wanna sound mean. One last thing her back is out of proportion she looks like a hunchback. but all in all the picture was really likable smile

Pic 2/Guitar Heroine - Her right leg is particularly thicker than the other or maybe it's cause there's an extra brown colored outside the leg outline. I don't like how you added shadows to the arms and neck. The color of the shadows seems inappropriate.. too green maybe? but it rocks smile you know.. just wanted to point out the criticisms  

Winter_Rhapsody

Romantic Vampire

7,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers