Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sammasaurus's Sketchiepad

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sammonroll

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:56 pm
My Biography
Yo~ You can call me Samma, Sammasaur, or Sammasaurus!
My species is the Sammasaur, and I'm your friendly neighborhood one! I was born from an egg and was really tiny, but with help from mah mommah, I grew big an' strong.

Artwise
I don't have much of an art education. Mostly it came as a hobby. I've been drawing fervently since elementary school. I drew angels a lot for some reason but I'm not religious...nor Christian/Catholic/etc. >.> I got out of that though. I got sucked into anime when I was in middle school since I met other anime loving friends. Anime was a norm for me before this cuz I've been watching it since I was little. Cutey Honey, ftw~!

Now I'm 15 and a Sophomore in Highschool. I took a half year course of draw/paint/design but that was really a lot of copying. I did learn most of my shading from there though and now I'm not fond of hard lineart and cellshading. It looks nice, but I don't like doing it.

I've strayed somewhat from anime and now my forte is animals, though whenever I draw people, it's quite anime-y. When I draw animals though, it's usually realism or semi-realism. I almost always just use a pencil though I recently got some Prismacolors and a tablet, though I can't say I'm ANY good with them. D: It disappoints me with how fail I am seeing as I'm much better with pencils. I also want to try out some sort of painting but I'm not sure what would suit me. I'm thinking either acrylics or watercolor.

Welp, help me out with anything. :3 Comments and critiques are quite welcome.

Most recent:
Affenpinscher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm
*Click for full sizes.

User Image
I just finished this Affenpinscher. I'm thinking of doing an AKC dog challenge but I'm not very committed in general so it might just flop. ._. Well, we'll see.

User Image
I finished this one last night for a roleplay website I'm making. Lulz, the background is horrid, isn't it? I'm not sure. I can't tell anymore. Stared at it too long.

sammonroll

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:11 am
Hello hello Samma! You're the first egg-born artist I know. smile

Let's see. Your roleplay website art is fantastic. Nice proportions on all the felines, good coloring, love how you use a darker border to accentuate the lighter-colored bits. The only thing of note is that you might want to use a tiny brush with white (or any other color of your choice) and add a couple of whiskers.

You chose a tough one in the Affenpinscher. smile
The Affenpinscher is a bushy-browed breed, you might want to darken the areas around the eyes alittle more, to 'set back' the eyes from the brows and muzzle. Unless the Affenpinscher is as old as my dachshund, (i.e, with cataracts =p) at it's eyes use pure white for highlight and really deep black to give the eyes a shine. The details on the body seems rougher than that on the head itself, it would be nice if the same small brush size was used on the body, as well.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:54 am
Lea Florens

Yeah, most Sammasaurs are artistically challenged. xD

Heh, thanks. I draw big cats most of the time so I normally know what I'm doing with them and they come out better. Yes. >.< I shy away from whiskers 'cause whenever I do them they look funny. But that's with pencils so I guess I'll go back to it now and scribble some whiskers on.

Yeaah... I didn't even know of the Affenpinscher breed. But I couldn't think of anything to draw and it was there so I went and did it. My dog stuff isn't too great. They're all so different. D:
Hurm..I'll keep it in mind for next time. I don't really feel like going back to it. xD I know I'm not even going to do the AKC challenge. It was naive of me to think I could go and do it. But I'm sure I'll try drawing dogs again so thanks. Oh and the body. I know it doesn't look too good. Just that, it originally had a different body but it looked awkward so I erased it and redid it....very sloppily. XP

But thanks for the critique. =) Sammasaur will promise not to eat you~  

sammonroll

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items