Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Need strict critique fast.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tagoka

Tipsy Stalker

8,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 am
Ok, so this is my exam work.Art Nouveau, and I have a little problem about the details, that is, what border should every girl have? :/ And can you help me out with the folds somehow?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Got it edited a bit :

And a bit more :

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:54 am
First off I want to say that your drawings are gorgeous. I know you were mentioning you needed help with the folds of the clothes, and I'm sure there's someone here that has a whole tutorial dedicated to it. If not what I've done to help me understand how cloth works is to simply look at my own clothes. Look at what the cloth does when it's being stretched, pulled, or just draping. Another fun task is to simply hang out a house coat or towel on a hook and look at the neat folds that come from that. There's a million tutorials on the web regarding cloth though. Sadly I'm press for time this morning though so I can't scan on my stuff and write out my own version of one for you.

One thing I wanted to mention outside of the cloth is balance.
The first pose especially looks like she is off balance. Either her body needs to be tilted less, or her foot that is touching the ground needs to be back to the right a bit further. She just looks like she could tip over backwards any minute. It's a WONDERFUL pose, she just needs a bit of work on her balance.

The second pose is having the same problem a little bit. She seems off balance. Me being the dork that I am I tried mimicking the pose and there is just no way for me to be standing, and have a perfect 90 degree angle at my knees. Now I'm no athlete, so that could be a contributing factor, but I don't think it's possible or at least comfortable for someone to have a right angle at the knees while standing.

Someone will probably have a completely different and even opposite opinion than mine regarding the balance, but this is just my opinion.

Lastly! The third pose is gorgeous. I love it. The folds in the clothing could definitely use some work. What you can do is google things like "dress dance" and look for a pose similar to what you're drawing to see how to cloth is sitting. Here's a link to just a LOT of cloth in movement http://www.loisgreenfield.com/images/uploads/dance_1695_amy_marshall_301_fnr.jpg
I liked this photo because it shows cloth in fast, gravity defying movement. And it also shows the cloth wrapping around her right leg. So it's showing a few things going on with that cloth. Hopefully it helps. Sorry that I can't help out more, I need to head out. But there was a sense of urgency in this post so I decided to reply quick before I head out. lol

Oh! and borders! I'd have to think on that a little bit. If no ones helped with that by the time I get home this afternoon I'll post again with some ideas for that biggrin

Okay so it's a bit later than I thought it would be. But for the borders all I can really think of is something almost greek-like. I'm at a loss though. I just didn't want you to think I had forgotten about you heheh.  

Chinchillin Villain

Tagoka

Tipsy Stalker

8,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:07 am
Thanks a lot for critiquing, and the compliment Cx
About the pose, now that you told me I started pondering ether it's a good idea to add like a stool but still cover it with the dress so it won't be seen.But since you tried to copy the pose I tried to do that too, the first seems to be balanced, the foot should be a bit flatter...I think, and the second one-same thing, but I think I should still add a stool xD
Anyway, thanks a lot for the picture, it's amazing, but the problem with folds is in my head, theoretically I understand what fold should go where and can say what's off but to draw it the way it's supposed to is nearly impossible for me, at least now...
Hope to hear more from you C:  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff